Empires 2.52.6 Released

Discussion in 'News' started by ImSpartacus, Nov 29, 2014.

1. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

well.. latency and handling. :P

The more speed/power a vehicle has the more fine tuning you have to do to get the vehicle to behave. We are talking hours of work per engine per vehicle per team.

2. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

And yet, i didnt spin before RC

3. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

The handling scripts haven't changed in years. Very few people have taken the time to actually understand all of the available parameters and what they do.

In hindsight, I should've tested with like 150 psuedoping. I tested a bit with Lawliet, but I think he lives too close to me to get significant lag.

It's a damn shame too, since the increase in friction just about suctions you to the ground.

4. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

You really shouldn't have buffed the range of gls, or if you are gonna do that make them a 2 slot weapon. Otherwise there is pretty much no reason to get ugl when 2 gls will do more damage. Like in slaughtered what was really killing me in sbend was some apc spamming nades, and I was in a tank. That ain't right.

Still think level 1 mls shouldn't have so much range.

I don't get the complaints on mls, they still work fine against tanks. Uml works pretty well as a chasing weapon now too, I don't blow up my missiles as I drive which is great. Not a fan of salvo ml though, that's a lot of damage all at once and now the reload speed makes it easier to get that second load in before the can escape. Words from a victim.

5. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

The problem with ML range for me is actually ice rink tanks, not the actual range - I can't roll away to safety without a couple 360s along the way.

And GL range is a healthy NF buff on nuclear :p

6. Lazybum

I'm not sure about the handling changes myself. They feel more drifty with some acceleration work, but I had to abuse scout speed to really get it going. It also feels really inconsistent which isn't helpful really. I did have fun getting a heavy stuck in a donut spin out though, just held forward and would do donuts all day. Heavies feel rather bad though...

7. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

No you don't. Rename them if you want, if the other devs want, because I agree some of the names are just hard to remember and reference, but you're not rolling them back to rinky dink smg1 and pistol 2. That's just dumb, and the only reason you'd do that is because everyone here was from before those changes.

If you want, I'll think of some actual names instead, but we're not going back. Also BE pistol 2 is the Tundra Falcon which is incredibly easy to recall because it's basically like the desert eagle. The X-Pistol is shite as, though, which is probably what gets in the way.

8. ImSpartacus

Haha, I get the tundra falcon thing now.

9. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Is this live yet? Because I don't really see a difference with BE_pistol2

10. Lazybum

I wonder if the cycle time is long enough to make the kick not as noticeable as should be, like how it works with the shotgun.

11. CRITAWAKETS

CRITAWAKETS Member

The double ml should be called:twin missiles while triple ml should be called short salvo.

ALSO I CANT DRIVE WITH GAS TURBINE ANYMORE.

12. Lazybum

I just noticed, you don't actually start with double ammo, you start with 50% of your max ammo when you take ammo upgrade. That really isn't the same thing at all.

13. ImSpartacus

I justed tested by changing the engy's max smg ammo to 800.

I started with 60 spare bullets as normally. Each grab from the box gave me 200 ammo, which is the expected 25% of max.

Taking ammo upgrade, I started with 120 ammo, which is twice the starting 60.

Each grab from the box netted me 400 bullets, which is 25% of the new max of 1600 ammo.

That's how I expected it to work. Can you share the circumstances where you noticed peculiar behavior?

14. Lazybum

I figured it out, when it doubles the starting ammo it compares it the max ammo you normally have. It won't exceed that amount. That's why you saw 120 smg bullets when you should have only seen 90, which is what I get. It's also the reason shotgun ammo doubles, that only starts at 30% of the max instead of 60 like it is for everything else.

Now that I think about it, it probably isn't comparing anything, more likely that the ability to increase the max ammo doesn't take affect until after you spawn. But that's just a guess really.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  15. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

The vehicle scripts are super fucky right now. I was spinning out all over the place today.

16. complete_

complete_ lamer

weapon names:
    Pistol1: 9mm Pistol (should be near perfect aim btw)
    Pistol2 (BE): Heavy Pistol
    Pistol2 (NF): Shotgun Pistol
    SMG1: Assault SMG
    SMG2: Burst SMG (revert back to previous stats)

there Ikalx. no stupid names and yet no number identifiers (i still doubt anyone will ever call them by these names, since its so far into empires development you might as well call them smg1 and 2

17. Lazybum

Light Smg for smg1
    Assault smg for smg2

Feels more relative to how they perform honestly.

18. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

"slidingtanktread" //Empires-specific tank tread for increased friction.
    {
    "base" "rubber"
    "friction" "5"
    }

ahhh ha ha ha.
    I think he over killed it and went past a limit so it defaulted (default friction = "0.8"). Candles can you see if there is a limit?
    I am pretty sure anything past 2 gave me negligible results. Although I never drastically raised the value only incremented by 1/10ths.

On a side note...

Code:
    "tanktread"            //Empires-specific tank tread for increased friction.
    {
        "base"            "rubber"

"bulletimpact"    "Rubber_Tire.BulletImpact"
        "impacthard"    "Rubber_Tire.ImpactHard"
        "impactsoft"    "Rubber_Tire.ImpactSoft"
    What? why would you do that?
    Just freeking inherit from "rubbertire" and you get all that crap. While I am talking about that... why the hell not use "metalvehicle" for tank treds?

sigh,
    I love you for trying though sparty. :|ove:

also... ha ha... I found a way to break the max vehicle speed we thought there was.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  19. ImSpartacus

I think the previous values were 0.2 and 0.6, so 0.8 wouldn't be too bad.

In general, testing was positive, regardless of whatever value it was getting clamped to. Since this is engine stuff, we probably can't look up that sort thing without testing.

I appreciate the tip about metal vehicle. I was just changing the friction for a quick release, which turned out rather interesting.

20. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

ViroMan, didn't you have some awesome vehicle handling scripts some time ago? We should put those in to test.