Scoped Rifle Scripts

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Freaknovich, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Freaknovich

Freaknovich Member

I have been discussing the possible inclusion of the sniper rifle with Candles. His main problem with the current scripts is the range at which one can deal over 100 damage to the head with the gun.

Here the script values I am proposing, only the modified values are listed:

Code:
    "Damage"	                "50"		// damage per bullet
    "Falloff"			"5000"		// distance at which bullet strength has dropped to 85% (damage decreases linearly)
    "MinimalDamage"			"20"
    "Damage Head Modifier"		"2.3"           // 115 damage
    "Damage Chest Modifier"		"1.2"		// 60 damage
    "Damage Stomach Modifier"	"1.2"		// 60 damage
    "Damage Left Arm Modifier"	"1"
    "Damage Right Arm Modifier"	"1"
    "Damage Left Leg Modifier"	"1"
    "Damage Right Leg Modifier"	"1"
    "clip_size"			"10"

For reference, a barracks is roughly 1000 units in length. The proposed drop off distance is 5000 units long. With the changes in damage, the rifle headshot damage is reduced to 93.5 from a distance of roughly 5 barracks.

Here are the current, unedited scripts:

Code:
    "Damage"	                "75"		// damage per bullet
    "Falloff"			"6000"		// distance at which bullet strength has dropped to 85% (damage decreases linearly)
    "MinimalDamage"			"30"
    "Damage Head Modifier"		"1.8"           // 135 damage
    "Damage Chest Modifier"		"1.2"		// 90 damage
    "Damage Stomach Modifier"	"1.2"		// 90 damage
    "Damage Left Arm Modifier"	"1"
    "Damage Right Arm Modifier"	"1"
    "Damage Left Leg Modifier"	"1"
    "Damage Right Leg Modifier"	"1"
    "clip_size"			"5"

Other suggestions:
    • make rifle equipable on scout class
    • enable stamina penalty

That's all for now, thank you.

2. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

I appreciate you making this thread.

It looks like damage to each body part is as follows:

Head 135 -> 115
    Chest/Stomach 90 -> 60
    Limbs 75 -> 50

It looks like you suggest doubling the clip and some modest edits to the falloff.

In particular, how do these changes make the scout rifle better than it was before? i.e. what problems did the scout rifle have previously that it would no longer have under those changes?

3. Freaknovich

Freaknovich Member

One problem was that the rifle was too powerful for body shorts. Aiming for the head wan't that important, making it viable to just spam pod shots and get kills. I think my changes can solve that issues. Also with the reduced drop off, players will be encouraged to use in medium-long distances, not half way across the map. This can also work well with the recent changes of the rifle, like the very low sway when standing crouching. The rifle is can be used effectively in the front lines, without being over powered.

4. ImSpartacus

It sounds like you've thought through a few gameplay balance problem. Are those the only problems that you've considered?

In particular, there's the troublesome problem of misuse.

5. Metruption

Metruption Member

I think that if a ruffle with scoped raifu gets the damage increase skill then a headshot should always be lethal except to someone with the health increase skill

If Scout gets it then let it be more of a weapon meant to distract and annoy and less to kill (so instead of a bolt action weapon with a box magazine a lever action weapon with a tube magazine would be more appropriate (it would shoot faster and do less damage)

Also concussion grenade's ability to disable turrets is something scout is currently without, maybe instead keep it a bolt action and give its rounds a small EMP effect that would disable turrets for a few seconds and maybe also increase the time needed to research by 1 second if fired at the enemy radar

6. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Who do you want to annoy with that exactly
    Really? Thats really random first and a possible giant dick move on isle.

7. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Member

Add back the Scout Rifle. I don't even care if it doesnt have a scope and only a zoom in if you guys have an issue with the range but don't the damage or what ever. Just bring it back. Scout with Rifle and 2nd Pistol is going to be cool yo.

Swag.

8. Freaknovich

Freaknovich Member

So in that thread you mentioned that making the rifle users an effective part of the team requires the rifle to be overpowered. I don't think that is necessarily the case. Instead, making the rifle just powerful enough is good. With the changes I proposed, it's strong enough to be used effectively by experienced players in medium-long distances, while not being super OP at the point where it encourages camping. Players who will try to camp far away with the gun will realize that sitting on their ass and firing pod shots will no longer be viable due to the lowered damage and drop off. Yes there will be players who will try it, but I don't think it will be long until they decide to try another approach. How about give it a trail run. Bring back the rifle and see how it plays out for a week or two. I don't think it will cause any problems.

9. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

I've personally come to the conclusion that features shouldn't be rejected/removed based off the idea that new players will cripple themselves with it. That excessively focuses the game towards new players to the detriment of players who do know what they're doing.

Yes, most everything you say in that post is correct (if a bit exaggerated (like your definition of OP; an OP weapon is one that outclasses all the other weapons in a majority of situations, not one that is simply good in all situations (e.g., NFAR, Pistol1. Both of these are effective in every realistic infantry situation, but I wouldn't consider them OP))), but it doesn't properly show how those negatives outweigh the positives. In other words, it's an argument for a positive result from removing it, but it doesn't say if that positive is worth the negatives.

10. ImSpartacus

I'm not sure that there are significant positives to the scout rifle that are on the chopping block.

I suppose there's the "variety" argument, but that's more of a "well it's nice to have" sort of a thing.

And you could say that it's important to maintain Empires balance, but I'm not sure that's correct at all. We've been without this weapon for weeks and I haven't noticed any significant lacking in how combat shakes out.

Ok, we'll do that.

11. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Really, I don't think there are significant positives either. But I don't see negatives strong enough to outweigh the positives, no matter how minor they may be.

I don't buy into diversity for it's own sake generally speaking, but there's no opportunity cost in terms of developer time for doing this, giving that argument a bit more credibility.

We already showed that even relatively big changes (like making infantry immune to bio) won't necessarily actually change how combat ends up.

12. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Invert sniper rifle play.

Make it impossible to use at rest, and gain accuracy while moving :D

13. Z100000M

So, what exactly did happen over this month. Outside of strange shit like HE secondaries and pellet guns, gameplays been pretty solid.

Last time ive heard, it was mostly "sr promotes camping and is a detriment to teamwork"
    Now its "well we can put in back in because why not" and "noobs gonna noob".

14. ImSpartacus

That's literally how pistol2 is while prone. It's a fucking sniper rifle when you're moving, but only when moving. I don't understand how it floated under the radar for so long. Shit like that is scary.

15. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

make the scout rifle a stun gun, needing someone closeby to actually take out the enemy.

something like a "kill effect", small timer, revive in place. with empty particles to show the person is stunned.

the scout would only get points if the target was actually killed, and so would the killer.

16. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I actually agree with what blizzy (and someone beforehand, it's been a few days) wrote, a short stun that knocks the player over but doesn't actually do damage (or just a few hitpoints) for others to come in for the kill.

17. Z100000M

Yey, stuns in a multiplayer game, what can possibly go wrong, get hit once, die. A worse troll weapon that sr ever was.

18. D.D.D. Destroyer

Slows down the game, encourages staying in cover, promotes teamwork...

19. Z100000M

its right up there with heatlock on vehicles on the ass end of the fun axis. And since when is promoting camping a good thing.
    Sure it does >.>

20. D.D.D. Destroyer

Yeah it does.

"Cover my ass you god damn moron this fucking scout shot me again arrrgh"