New monitor choices

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by PredatoR[HUN], Nov 28, 2014.

1. PredatoR[HUN]

PredatoR[HUN] Member

Everyone talks about pc parts while building one but no one ever says anything about monitors except when Trickster is fapping to 4k.

So let's hear some monitor recommendations. I've been thinking about a 144hz but it seems stupid and most reviews are like "The colours are literally crayon but it's so smooth and responsive 8/10"

Asus VG248QE seems pretty popular but I'm not terribly impressed.

Other than that I'm considering AOC e2451Fh, Acer G246HLBBID or Samsung S24D300H. Mostly because they are a lot closer to what I'm comfortable paying for it since I will already use way too much on the pc itself.

Edit: Does it even matter? I mean unless you buy something really expensive is there even a difference between screens?

2. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

3. Deiform

Deiform Member

There is a difference between screens tbh. I bought a Philips 27" and the resolution is 1920x1080.

Put that into contrast with a Samsung screen I bought later which is 24" but 1920x1200. What that means is that the larger 27" looks stretched and the colours don't look as defined. The Samsung has a higher response rate too which makes it the better monitor.

In the future I'll always take screens that have higher res and better contrast ratios than a larger screen.

4. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

16:9 or else u will doto worse

5. ImSpartacus

>plebs still playing at native aspect ratio

6. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Hmm, yeah I'm kinda interested in monitors too. It will probably be something I have to wait til spring when job picks up again, but I do kinda want to upgrade my monitor. I would need to upgrade the graphic card too when that happens, it's the main reason I haven't done it yet. So in those two regards I'm on this fence if I want to try out one of those 4k monitors or just get the 2560xwhatever monitors.

I just know I really want one with decent color, I've seen some cheaper 1080 ones at the 100-140$ price range and the colors just look faded and shit in general.

7. 101010

101010 Member

Why not just use a hd flat screen TV ?

8. ImSpartacus

It's low res. 1080p "HD" isn't very high resolution anymore.

9. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

a curious question is...
    if you had a 1080p monitor and a 1080p tv both the same size... which is better to view movies with?

10. ImSpartacus

I don't think anything implicitly requires a "TV" to be significantly different from a "monitor".

Just like monitor panel tech can vary from monitor to monitor, the same is true for TVs. So if those aren't the same, then there can be a difference.

But really if you're holding all of that constant, then there shouldn't be any huge difference.

11. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

The line has begun to blue a few years ago, a lot of the tvs are just giant monitors now.
    I cannot tell the difference between my tv and my old dell monitors, well the major difference is that you don't have to stare at it directly to see.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  12. 101010

101010 Member

But this is Empires.......

Seriously unless your playing a new game on max video settings whats the point in a high priced monitor ?

If your playing older games or using mid to low settings on newer ones your kind of better off saving the extra money and just using a TV.

13. ImSpartacus

If you only want 1080p, you're STILL better off going for a monitor. 22-24" 1080p monitors are only like $100.

14. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Monitors also have less input lag than TV's, generally about 10ms faster.

15. PredatoR[HUN]

PredatoR[HUN] Member

16. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Meh, I play everything at 4:3. I'd like it wider but I've seen 16:9 and I don't like how short it feels. 16:10 is better. Can't you just force aspect ratio anyway? Or force a specific resolution, so it really doesn't matter what monitor you get?

17. ImSpartacus

Yeah, source engine is wonderful in respect. Just set your launch options at like -w 2560 -h 1080 now you're seeing more shit than paradox and you'll obviously beat him.

18. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I think you're missing the point. Dota is based around 16:9 and you will see less if you play at any other aspect ratio, that has been tested and proven. I have 16:10 monitor and play at 16:9 with gaps at the top and bottom for that reason.

My recommendation is just to get a good quality 24"-27" 1080p or 1440p monitor with a really good contrast ratio and response time. There are other things to take into account though. I have one of the very early 2560x1600 monitors that came out. The colour is exceptional but it's really poorly lit with no gamma options which causes me pretty big problems in Empires.

I'd recommend just going to a local pc store armed with the knowledge of different types of screens, and then deciding which one you prefer from that. Then leave the store and order one online.

19. ImSpartacus

If your only goal is to see more stuff in dota, you can keep cranking up the aspect ratio and it'll keep showing you more stuff.

[​IMG]

20. PredatoR[HUN]

PredatoR[HUN] Member

Yeah and now you have to turn your head to the side to see the minimap or your items.
    And due to FoW that size would only be decent during teamfights, anytime else, you would have to move your eyes/head too much to gather information.

But yeah Trickster, that's pretty much what I did. I spent far too much time looking into this so I just said fuck it and ordered the second thing that caught my eye. In the worst case I'll just send it back and get a different one.