Empires 2.52.3 Released

Discussion in 'News' started by ImSpartacus, Nov 8, 2014.

1. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

It's always weekdays after 5pm for eastern usa (gmt-5) so we can release on Fridays. It's a casual thing. Some days I'm working on shit and some days I'm testing it.

I'm not going to schedule something and then call it off constantly because I'm not ready to test. That's not fair to people.

But if anyone wants to provide feedback on their own time, the beta branch usually has the next version of empires just sitting there about 95% complete a day or two before release. This week is an exception because we had to keep it clean so candles could do that one hot fix (which hopefully is out by now).

Also, go tell candles thank you for putting up with my shit. I'm pretty sure he never gets anything done because of me.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  2. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

This.

I don't care about the last one, though.

3. ImSpartacus

brb alienating those who stuck around for 7+ years wiht odd changes because trollolol

4. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

You are alienating me by not posting news updates, and I swear I've been around for seven years already

5. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Shotgun being a 1 shot kill weapon is a terrible idea.

Disagree with calling plain armour paper. No need, and the description is even worse.

Apart from that theres a fair few things I think are steps in the wrong direction and a few things that are steps in the right direction but cant really comment without playing.

A bit of discussion about script changes BEFORE changing them really wouldnt do any harm

6. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

FYI, 7+ is before 2.0 rolled out and not many folks from that time are still around.

I can only really name beerdude. I guess jipfags count, maybe.

This. I dont get why this isnt a thing. The only info before the patch came out was candles rightfully moaning about how the HE's will be handled.

7. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Wasn't late 2007 when empires 2.0 came out? I swear it came out like a month or so after the orange box, because that was the first time I had source engine and empires was one of the first mods I played.

8. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

...but but but...

edit: Yeah, 2.0 came out late 2007.

9. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

gosh look at your join dates - fyi its november 2014 :rolleyes:

:p

but yes i exaggerated for effect. aside from certain balance changes we dont talk about, the overall perspective of equipment (this includes tank items) didnt really change over this timeframe. you cant just throw it all round just because, theres certain expectations.
    i dont mean to say changes are bad per se, but its drastic changes completely out of the blue for things that were not considered broken.

10. 101010

101010 Member

Been playing Empires on and off since battlefield.
    Mostly around for 2.21 - Steam release.

Current version is the best and the worst. So much more stable and so many features......But the game play is just horrible. Mostly due to no skilled players ever bother playing and the horrible scripts. The game play is just broken.
    Not sure what sparty is doing. But I hope he has an idea in mind.

I think the majority of the problem right now is the lack of communication.
    If these are just random changes then god help us.
    But if they are just steps on the way to a better game then people need to be patient and cut Sparty some slack while he works things out.

11. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

That was my attitude after the first batch, but now i have to say, the future im seeing now is not pink.

12. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

I think it's more about 'why'.

Why these changes?

13. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i think it started in kylegars thread at post #111 (page 3 for me)

at least it feels like, thats why its so odd.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  14. Lazybum

To me it looks like he leveling the playing field a bit, so new players have an easier time getting into empires without being fodder for the first few hours or being somewhat more useful.

To add on to that thought, he has removed a lot of little things that no one knew about, things like all armors having some value of cooling when hit or how no one could correctly guess what was weak/strong to bio. Normalizing the damage values of the missiles also points to how he wants the game to be easier to get into and understand.

15. ImSpartacus

Why what? Why the infantry weapon changes?

I literally asked people how infantry combat needed to change a month ago.

The top three things that I could actually fix (in no particular order) were:

1. Fix/Remove the Sniper Rifle
    2. Fix/Remove the HMG
    3. Fix the NFHR/BEAR

I listed all of the posts that mentioned each weapon. I especially liked, "But yeah, go all-out and do something interesting."

And I effectively said, "Jeepers, that's a lot of changes to make at once! I'm only doing one of those at a time." And unsurprisingly, that's exactly what I've been doing.

The sniper rifle got yanked first. That was easy & fast. Now I'm fucking with the NFHR/BEAR. That's tougher & slower. I'm still unsure of how I want to mess with the HMG, so that'll remain unchanged for a while.

But in general, I have little sympathy for all of these people that whined about infantry combat being perfect. I literally asked if anything needed to be done and I got answers. What can I say? I do what I'm told.

Oh and I've made my shotgun opinions very well known. Idk why people were surprised.

16. HaschteWas

HaschteWas Member

Looks like guys who play less than 7 yeas will not be able to play at all right now.
    I get an assertion window (see attachment) when connecting to viper server.
    The only way to to deal with it is to run empires in window mode in order to be able to use the assertion window.

For all new players who may have the same problem:
    Your connection progress bar will get stuck and you can wait forever until you join the server.

And Yes. I don't understand why Sparti buffs shotguns.
    I highly dislike rambo engies killing rifleman in close range within one shot.
    Because why should I be still rifleman if any engy has more power in close combat.
    1 Hit kills should only work for headshots.
    Anything else is rendering other classes useless.
    Including the new kickback changes to rifles, which dramatically weakens their ranged combat skills.

When Spartacus finishes what he started we will be left with one class and one weapon and one vehicle beside the cv. And now you can guess what the magical three objects im talking about are.

However, compared to David Kim's current new version of SC2 we are still in good shape with empires. This guys seemed to have never played the balance changes before showcasing it on Blizzcon.
    Thats is why you can now watch on youtube what happens when you get pro players abusing absurd game balance.

Attached Files:

17. ImSpartacus

A fix is in the pipe from everyone's favorite Empires savior.

18. HaschteWas

HaschteWas Member

Do I get promo code for Premium ? :)

19. ImSpartacus

You should be happy we don't hardcode a damage handicap to your steamid like we did to security.

20. Lazybum

I like how I warned you that a bunch of people would be upset by making the shotgun melee upgrade that works at a distance.