Empires on UE4 (A collaborative project)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Kylegar, Nov 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vdragon

Vdragon Member

Shouldn't be there like design documents or a list some text that explain how the whole thing is going to work?

2. Deiform

Deiform Member

From past experience, it's generally not a lot of use to design something when you have nothing. It's better to get off the ground by proving all the concepts before designing anything.

3. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

And that is where you are wrong, sorry. You need to have a design document to at least write down those concepts you want to prove. Otherwise nobody is going to know anymore how stuff was supposed to work a few weeks or months in.

4. Deiform

Deiform Member

Well that's up to debate I think. 'Wrong' is a very objective statement for a subjective topic. In theory it is the correct choice to have a design document, but in practice you end up burning out before doing anything. The main reason previous projects that attempted to do this failed was because they spent way too long on the design document. Kylegar has written a todo list which I think is enough for this moment in time.

Hell, it's a pet project about 2 days in, what's the point designing anything so soon?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  5. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

I agree with Deif - what happens when you release a design document is that everyone starts arguing over irrelevant details and it sucks up your time having to respond to everyone's concerns.

6. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

I am writing down a roadmap of things that need to be done. Anyone with code experience can step in and poke around and see if they can make things happen. In reality, I'm porting Empires. Not really adding anything new until 'Empires' is done. After that is done, the first thing I want to do is add a Titan Mode, but others can add things to their branches if they want. Hell, I might even merge it in if it's well designed and fun.

I'll probably break it down into 3 categories: Code, Art, Design. Code is C++ code that needs to be written, art is capable of being done with someone who knows how to model or texture, Design could be done by anyone who knows how to use the Unreal editor. I wrote down a bit in a post above on what needs to be done for now, which is like a weeks worth of work.

---

Anyway. I added the Animation Sample Pack from the UE4 marketplace. It's free and can be used in any project. An artist can retarget the animations to the skeleton of the srcpires characters to these animations.

A Designer can probably hook up the prototype model to the 3rd person skeletal mesh component of the character. Some code needs to be done to add Crouch/Prone/Jump, but the animations should hook up pretty easy. A designer can prototype it with Blueprint until a coder has a chance to make it in C++.

7. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

Roadmap is up:

I'll be keeping this updated this as people contribute. If there is something you feel you can do, please don't hesitate to jump on it and make it happen.

8. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

How does one create a map for this?

9. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

Get an Unreal Engine license (either buy paying $20bux or doing the student pack linked in the OP)

Download the engine

Clone the Empires repo

Open the Empires project in the Engine

Choose A or B

A: Quick Start: https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/QuickStart/index.html (Skip create a new project, you are opening the Empires project instead)

B: Long Documentation:

Read This: https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/UI/LevelEditor/index.html

And This: https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Actors/index.html

And This: https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Landscape/index.html

10. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

That $20 is per month btw... ohh and the...

System Requirements:
    • Windows 7 64-bit or Mac OS X 10.9.2 or later
    • Dual-core Intel or AMD processor, 2.5 GHz or faster
    • DirectX 11 compatible GPU
    • 8 GB RAM
    lol most ppl here out of luck.

11. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

Once you get access to the engine, you have access to the versions you paid for forever.

While I do plan on keeping the engine version up to date, you only need to pay for a month to get access. As I said in the OP, if you have a .edu email (or access to one), you can get it for a year free.

Also, how do you not have a 64bit computer and a dx11 capable videocard? This is like 4 year old tech now.

---

Also, I broke the game with the latest code commit... It crashes on startup. I don't know where in the engine it crashes, so I'm working on finding that out. That involves running a debug engine and compiling the whole engine took the better part of the day. The good news is that if you need the pdbs, I have those now.

12. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

I do have that, I am saying there are others here who still work with XP.

13. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

Yeah, well, welcome to the future.

14. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

I got multiplayer working in the editor. Wasn't hard.

15. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

Multiplayer as testing with multiplayer or mapping with multiplayer?
    Cuz mapping with multiplayer would be hawt. Sexy sexy hawt.

16. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

Multiplayer testing. You can set the play button to launch two clients, giving you two viewports.

I also got the animations to kinda work for the 3p model. Walking is in, but jumping/crouching are broken.

There is a crash with remote clients firing weapons. Kinda nice to find that but holy fuck getting useful pdbs out of the build process is impossible

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  17. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

Ok. Nice anyhow.
    Well get Multiplayer editor! So I can draw Penises while pokeing at D.D.D's displacements.

18. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I was just curious, I'm still working with Hammer.

19. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

Ewww, who uses displacements anymore. Even valve says they are bad and turned them into meshes in src2.

May god rest your soul

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  20. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.