Empires Wont Start -1.071

Discussion in 'Support' started by Trid3nt, Jan 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lithium

Lithium Member

I use an ATI radeon X800

2. HaschteWas

HaschteWas Member

I dont think that my problem results from having bad graphicdrivers (using nvidia card...). But i think that somthing made the mod incompatible with the new steamversion.
    My client is kicked on my own dedicated LAN-server, too. Although it was set to "LAN only" (no masterserverconnection and no vac = insecure)!

3. GI-Jane

GI-Jane Member

Ive been getting same errors Exactly for ages now and have even sent Steam a query which they fail to reply to.
    It is weird how this only affects 3rd party mods?
    And If I was a mod Dev Id be moaning to steam cos I wonder how many people download Empires and find it doesnt work jus to delete it...
    Weird how some can connect tho?

IVE tried every possible combination of fixes Delete Blob, reinstall, upgrade drivers, run spyware removers and run all the steam diagnostics and yet no joy , guess Ill jus have to start playing Dow, just got Dark crusade, cool.....

PS: are the people able to connect Americans an those who Cant European, mebbe someone forgot to switch the european VAC server on??

PPS: Now Im really confused I couldnt play Battleground or Dystopia yesterday but today I can yet Empires still wont work yet I can play Gmod 9 and Hl2 deathmatch FFS whats going on??????

Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  4. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Is it a badly set up firewall? I know that I have to disable peerguardian on my system in order for steam to behave properly.

5. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

well my problem was solved by a system restore.

6. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Broccoli:
    Turn off the showing of allowed connections, then enable PG2. Start steam. Note all the Level 3 Communications / Valve Corporation crap popping up.

Each one that is a NEW IP address that pops up, right-click and select "always allow" or whatever.

An annoying process, but once you've got a good list you can leave PG enabled while using steam.

7. HaschteWas

HaschteWas Member

Due to the fact that empires worked well before i was forced to apply that damn steampatch and in addition to the "not changed system", i came to the conclusion, that it IS a bug in the mod, cause anything else works well with steam (So there are no vac connetionproblems with other games hosted by steam). And in fact its a major bug, cause a crash to desktop with some memory acces violation cannot be treated as small issue, can it ?
    I´m wondering why no devmember has noticed that "small" problem in here. May be the new patch is delayed cause this bug has to be fixed ......

8. Lithium

Lithium Member

@ GI-Jane: I'm from Canada and im having the same problem as you, it's not a europe only thing

@HaschteWas: No, I don't think it's a bug in Empires. For me all third party (hl2) mods have the same problem.

9. HaschteWas

HaschteWas Member

You are right, i just tried to create an std. hl2 deathmatchserver and got the same crash like in empires.
    Cause of that I deleted the local hl2 deathmatch content and reinstalled it with steam, but the crashes didnt vanish...

10. Lithium

Lithium Member

I've done everything suggested here, and nothing seems to work. I guess I won't be playing empires for a very long time....

11. Destroyer224

Destroyer224 Member

If you ask me, it sounds like Valve released some seemingly 'harmless' update to the engine that broke all the mods.

12. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

And you've tried playing on a variety of servers?

I have no idea why it works for me after having this problem, I wish it did. Just know that there's hope.

13. Lithium

Lithium Member

yeah I've tryed every server available and I either get the VAC error or not be able to connect at all. There was only ONE time in empires that I was able to play a full game but it was just me and this noob and i spent the whole time giving him a tutorial (I later went back to the same server and then it started giving me VAC errors). I have the same problem for every single hl2 mod i have. So yeahh... and i'm sure it isnt a problem with my PC because I reformatted my PC about three or four days ago (same with my hl2 install) I guess I'm pretty screwed then.

edit: I reinstalled halflife 2 and that still didn't work.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2007
  14. HaschteWas

HaschteWas Member

Ok, i already separated my problem into 2, sounds bad but its not, cause i have solved already 1 of them. The second problem is definately a bug/problem of the empires mod. But let me first explain the 1. problem and how i "solved" it.
    Problem 1 was:
    I was not able to create any listenserver using the hl2 dm software after i had to patch hl2 dm (patch from 17. January 07).
    After some loadingtime hl2 dm crashes to desktop with the message:
    "Could not load authentication library...." and some access violation errors...
    Cause games like css, dods and empires are using the hl2 dm software this bug occured in those games, too.
    Well, after i did some "research" i found out that the problem is caused by some kind of "degenrated" library dll files (maybe newer, incompatible versions...) in the half-life 2 deathmatch\bin folder generated by the steam.exe.
    The only thing i have to do so that the crash does not takes place is:
    ·to load the specific hl2dm application (empires, dods, css)
    ·switch to desktop (alt+tab) and
    ·overwrite the 2 dlls in the Steam\SteamApps\????\half-life 2 deathmatch\bin
    folder:
    vstdlib_s.dll
    tier0_s.dll
    with their "originals" from the Steam folder
    ·Switch back to the hl2dm application and create the game as regular.

Note that steam automatically overwrite the exchanged files after every restart of the hl2 dm application. And in addition to that it is not stopped by some windows write protection. So you have to overwrite the files again, every time you started the hl2 dm application. So far its a lousy workaround but this should suffer until valve hopfully deliver a better patch on its own. Ok that was the solved Problem 1.

The unsolve Problem 2 is the following one:
    Every time I tried to play on an empiresserver (any server! Even on my own LAN dedicated server with no masterserverlinkup and vac!) i get kicked after ~2min from the server with the consolemessage: "Disconnect: No Steam logon".
    So why should this be a problem caused by the empiresmod?
    Cause i can run any other regular steamapplications (dods, css, ...) without any problem in those games i´m not kicked like in empires. In addition to that even the "Gutter Runners"- mod (another 3rd party mod for css, can be found at http://gr.hl2files.com/ ) is working online without any VAC bug.
    Maybe some dependences were changed with the latest hl2 dm update (17. January 07) and the Gutter Runners mod is not affected by this cause it uses
    the "sdk base" database and not hl2 dm itself to run the game.

15. Simon

Simon Banned

It has to be something with the steam update, noone had the vac problem before it.

16. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Y'know, you can change the line "SteamAppId" in \Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\SourceMods\Empires\gameinfo.txt from 320 to 215.

Try it.

17. GI-Jane

GI-Jane Member

u are GOD

OMG after all the crap i went through reinstalling etc THAT fixed it , I bow down in your presence Niarbeht
    No more crashes your so cool thanks:)

18. HaschteWas

HaschteWas Member

Fixed problem 1 and 2 completly for empires, but prob 1 remains lousy solved for other dm source applications.

19. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

/me bows

Thank you, thank you.

20. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

Just in case someone wants to know what this actually does, it makes Empires run off of Source SDK Base, which always uses the most recent version of the Source Engine, as opposed to HL2DM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.