emp_glycencity feedback

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by complete_, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Herbie

Herbie Junior Member

Lamer, I think you hit the nail on the head in regard to how this map always plays out. If BE do not cap the middle flag then NF are always able to end the game within minutes. I believe the main reason is this area:

[​IMG]

It is literally a death trap for BE, attempting to attack the middle through this passage is suicide, there's no cover and an enormous arc of fire on NF's side. It acts as a one way passage because no one who is sane on BE would dare to attack through that path. So unless there are guys actively defending the 2nd flag( lets be honest, this is empires, no one ever does), the whole team is on the other side of the map and it's just game over.

The last flags are usually completely irrelevant, they really need to be further from the second flags, but I don't see how that could be possible. They're already very close to the spawn points, I'm not in favour of moving them any closer. I think they can still be defended if your team has a perfect reaction time when noticing the 2nd flag getting contested, but that pretty much never happens. Probably a silly idea, but a short alarm sound may work.

2. complete_

complete_ lamer

i cant say i remember when nf lost this map, but i would say that if they never hold their flag, its probably because they are being spawn camped from the 2nd flag.

Herbie: YES. the advantage for NF in that area is very apparent. I'm considering adding something... but I don't know if it'll be too extreme and shift things to BE's favor.

off-topic: i am looking at my last post, and i think im gonna have to start using proper grammar in my posts. jesus christ is my writing all over the place.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  3. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Well whatever you think about doing I wouldn't worry too much, nf has that wide open main road to use unlike BE which has to cram in that narrow road from mid to nf's second flag. So I don't think it would be terrible to mess with the side alley at all.

4. complete_

complete_ lamer

update:
    here are the new spawns for be and nf, respectively
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    this should prevent spawn camping for nf and it makes sense for both teams

an in-the-works balcony for be's middle side
    [​IMG]

and a preliminary new passage for that death trap.
    [​IMG]
    its a small passage, meaning only a few will be able to use it at a time. also, it goes more towards the main road, using more of the map as a result rather than negating a huge portion of the map. thoughts?

5. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Could you show on the minimap (or show a bird-like overview image) where the last image is located?

6. complete_

complete_ lamer

its where BE jumps over the fence to get to middle.
    i was in game so i just took a larger picture (im going to remove the snow pileup at the fence and only allow BE to go over it (by hopping on a car then jumping over or something)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  7. Lazybum

I like these changes.

I suppose the last pic with the extra passage removes the one on the other side of the building. I suppose so it opens closer to nf's side of that alley? Might work out, though on the flipside you won't be able to get to the top of that building unless you have an engy/are an engy. Oh, and that means there is only one entrance to the building now. Well that's small potatoes, I'm more interested in the alleyway not being such a one way ticket for nf.

8. complete_

complete_ lamer

i'm still deciding whether to keep that alley or not, i can possibly just shrink the size of the building and keep it.

here a picture from the other side of the would-be passage
    [​IMG]

9. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

So Nf starts a mile away from their vf? Thats not good.

Also, one thing that came to my mind: make the snow mounds that border the road on nf sides higher. Its way too easy to get an apc stuck on one. Also, remove some of them from the choke between the right building and the left wall on nfs right side. They make manouvering impossible.
    Actually, do you plan on changing this part of the map at all? Be can still kind of use their vehicles, their side os partially covered, but nfs approach is wide open, if be takes the mid, you are never getting an apc through.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  10. Lazybum

What are you talking about? They are still close to the vf, same distance as be is to theirs I think.

11. complete_

complete_ lamer

just timed it. about the same distance

theres already vehicle clips on the mounds on the right. and i wouldnt want someone to ram a mound and end up hitting an imaginary wall when they would otherwise go over it.

there is none there? unless you mean the area before it? be has those exact same things by their flag aswell. and i would argue that its more the ice-y texture that makes manuvering horrible. i mean, i can remove some.

err, be's side is the one thats wide open.

12. Z100000M

You sure about that? unless you've moved the vfs around, nf has to more 1/2-1/3 of maps width, whereas be can just jump of the left side and get into the booth
    I need to double check the map before replying to that, hard to me to explain with a fuzzy image of the place.
    wide open as in there is no cover. On be side, there is snow and wall, and that giant mound in the corner that helps alot with rpgs. The last bit of road that leads to the flag is also really wide, so you can have multiple vehicles and one carcass doesnt stall the whole column. On the nf side, you have a pretty tight and straight passage. If you loose the leading vehicle (and you will, seeing as if be takes mid, they have all the cover towards 2nd nf flag) its carcass (car-cass, lol) will block anything trying to move by.

Edit: bollocks to what i said in regards to spawns, i confused the miniflag building with 1st nf flag one.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  13. complete_

complete_ lamer

[​IMG]
    anyone know how to make this entity's collision work? for some reason the collision box is all wonky and not in the right places.

anyways progress: pretty much done. all i need is a final compile
    [​IMG]
    see the rope on the right for climbing (theres a ladder on the opposite side)
    [​IMG]
    and thats what the passageway looks like

also, anyone have ideas for what research they'd like to see on this map? i'm leaning towards budget armor, i've also heard a suggestion for bio diesel, but it might be too fast for this map

14. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Biodiesel is the about as slow as you get. It peaks at 37 mph on APCs & LTs. I suppose Coolant is technically slower at 35 mph, but it's heavy and cools weirdly. The default engine tops out at a pokey 30 mph on APCs & LTs.

15. Lazybum

I feel like you should just stick to standard, what reason does someone have for wanting a better engine on this map? By this I mean beyond going slow what's the problem with it?

I like how vehicles are just like extra distractions in glycen, not something that breaks through if that makes any sense. Utility stuff ya know?

That said I do think you are better off with putting reactive instead of budget, or offer both. That way people who want a apc to just transport and spawn people can max out with reactive(which doesn't have rpg or sticky weakness anymore), and people who want cheaper vehicles with some fire power get budget. Because at the moment it is a bit hard for vehicles to survive long enough to really accomplish much, at least in bigger games I think.

16. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

For the prop collision, disable the prop collision and make a two brushes, one for the part standing up and one for the angled one. Texture with invisible texture and turn into a func_brush. (You can set it to not render as well if you want).

Be careful with giving armor to light tanks, giving them reactive would make them very dangerous with their machine guns against infantry who already have trouble hitting them.

17. Lazybum

Light tanks get std machine gun and regular chaingun, which both kinda suck. Not upgrading the engine also means most tanks overheat after firing for like 6 seconds or something. I don't think upgrading the armor would be a bad thing.

Apcs are a another thing, but they can only get 2 plates of reactive i think which isn't really that bad. And again that engine overheating thing if he sticks to standard.

18. complete_

complete_ lamer

WELL
    [​IMG]
    It looks like the problem is a phantom fence, blocking movement where it is supposedly placed. (both pictures are me on top of this invisible fuck)
    [​IMG]
    its invisible in hammer too!
    [​IMG]
    hooray! who knows how to fix?

not having bio diesel makes sense. the accerleration is too much for this map. it sorta flies about
    reactive im weary about. i do get your point about the tradeoff between weapons and transport, but it seems a little too strong.
    if not budget because of the weight, then maybe absorbant?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  19. Lazybum

Just a question, but do you plan on messing with the res rate? If not it might be good to just use budget, it costs the same as plain. It also guarantees max armor on all vehicles no matter the weapon load out (unless someone trys for dual gls and a mg). Part of the reason I suggest reactive is that with a mg apcs will have 2 plates on all sides except 1, which will have 1 plate. that means only 60 more health than budget on the same apc. Though if the tank/apc wants no weapons they can get an extra couple plates, meaning it now has twice the effective health of budget. This is all offset by the fact it costs something like 4 times as much as budget plate per plate.

So it kinda depends a little on what the res flow ends up like. I assume you don't want to add .50 cal or something like he mg.

20. Z100000M

Call me a pragmatic, but why not just remove that fucking fence to begin with?