What is hardcoded?

Discussion in 'Closed bugs' started by Urknall, Oct 19, 2014.

1. 101010

101010 Member

Wow... I was referring to when empires first came to source. Even tho empires pretty much used it's own code. Shit from hl kind of got mixed in and some things like turbo got figured out by people seeing hl2 code or scripts from hl2. And there are still plenty of things that can be learned by learning the basics from the sdk.

2. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

They're masking they're IP on the subnet using 255.255.255.0, I'm going to need a work around, possibly connect to 192.168.0.2; wish me luck.

3. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

hacker ban

^^

4. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

fuicl how did you get my ip address

5. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

6. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Ok, enough off-topicing

7. Urknall

Urknall Member

Ok... so as I understand, you are sitting on your "hardcoded" work, the codebase... that defines the heart of Empires.

If you don't want to make it "open source", I think you want to make money out of it. Well Empires was release in 2006. 8 years in the game industry are... millions of years compared to real life. The numbers of players are going down... http://steamcharts.com/app/17740#6m

What are your plans for the future?

8. 101010

101010 Member

1. Release empires source code.
    2.Implement hats
    4. Profit

9. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Plans? Keep developing, possibly port at some point. There'd be a host of legal issues with making it open source/monetizing it. We'd have to port to a different engine and create a symbolic successor to Empires to be able to do anything else and throw out the IP at the same time.

We don't want to make it open source; we don't want to monetize it. Open sourcing it would create loads of issues with Valve; making money is just a headache.

10. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Yeah, too many people have participated in the development. Imagine the troubles that will appear if we are open sourcing or making money out of it.

Even though I doubt anyone would disagree that "major plans"(like porting etc..) are the only thing that could possibly give Empires a new life.

11. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Agreed. With a project like Empires, it's many contributors, an engine that wasn't commercially licensed by it's original creator and so forth, you don't even want to think about monetizing. Legal stuff in business is a major headache.

12. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I think you're missing the use of the word "hardcoded". It's just a phrase we use to refer to things that can only be changed within the codebase. For example, we can change the rate at which a tank cools/overheats within the scripts, but once he's overheated, he's overheated for 3 seconds exactly. That 3 seconds is a hardcoded value, and thus if we wanted to change it, we'd have to change it within the code, as opposed to editing the script text files. If it was something we were going to use often, the coders could even code it so that it was a script value, and thus it would no longer be hardcoded.

Another larger example is the whole user interface of Empires, such as the vehicle customisation menu. Right now, that's hardcoded. It is how it is, and the most you can do outside of the game is reskin it. That layout is hardcoded. Once we move to the HTML UI, it will no longer be hardcoded, because it'll be possible to change the HTML files to create new UI panels without requiring any change of the actual code.

That's all the phrase "hardcoded" means. If you're trying to ask about something else then you'll need to be more descriptive, because I think you're a little confused as to what we're actually talking about when we say "hardcoded". This thread has gone so far offtopic I don't even know the original intention of the discussion point.

13. Urknall

Urknall Member

Yeah, that's it! Now I understand... thx.

14. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Is porting even a valid option at this time?

Last time it took mootard alot of time to do, and the game was in shambles until 2.24 came out.

15. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Think less "porting" and more "remaking".

16. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

It's not that valid at this very time, I think.

Think less "sleeping" and more "working".
    Fixed?

17. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Excuse me for being skeptical candles but, your crazy.