Empires 2.52.2 Released

Discussion in 'News' started by ImSpartacus, Oct 21, 2014.

1. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Changelog:

2. ImSpartacus

This is all just hotfixes to keep the game running for another week or two.

This should fix the issues that people were having with using custom engines, although I need to stress that

YOU CANNOT PLAY NORMAL EMPIRES USING THE BETA BRANCH

I found at least one person doing this over the weekend. It will cause problems for you.

If there is a "[beta]" at the end of "Empires" in your library, then you are using the beta branch.

A lot of people aren't aware that a large chunk of each new release gets put on the beta branch nearly a week before its released. There are often significant changes that are not compatible with the current release.

This means that Plasma CN does a total of only 20 heat-to-target instead of 100 heat-to-target...

Part of me is ridiculously pleased that we made that mistake. We now know that even the most absurd heat-to-target still isn't gamebreaking. It changes a lot, but it's still "Empires" as we know it.

Can't be afraid to test shit! <3

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  3. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Bullshit, it only works because of how you can shoot regardless of how close you are to the max heat. The only penalty is being overheated for 3 seconds, which is the exact cycle time of plasma. Pair it with bio diesel and you have the best weapon for tanks.

I feel like this only shows how dumb the heat system is, other stuff was fine because they could only do like 40-65 damage and didn't have the ability to send something else to an overheated state.

4. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Yeah, a while ago Pickled_Heretic kind of pioneered the whole bioplasma thing. It's really effective. It might be that we need a total overhaul of how heat actually works to compensate for that, potentially requiring you to have the actual heat space to fire the weapon. Maybe if you go over it damages your hull or someshit.

5. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Actually, Beerdude added that to the main codebase several months ago and I never pushed it to release. I was a bit concerned that the idea wouldn't go over well, being that although it's adding maybe 30 characters to the code base to the code base at most, it'd drastically change vehicle combat. For example, it'd make it almost impossible to overheat yourself by firing; you'd only overheat from someone else firing at you.

6. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Maybe we can set it at a percentage then. Say you need 50% of the required heat or something. I don't really know, but Bioplasma is a seriously bullshit combo when it's working.

Like I said, it's either that or we make it damage the hull when you fire when overheated.

7. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Added this one to front page and to Steam (2.52.1 added to Steam as well)

8. Snuffleupagus

Snuffleupagus Member

Vehicles are Fucked

Vehicles are fucked now. Before it was kinda glitchy when building a tank (especially nf mediums.) Now it is impossible to build a medium, and any number of false errors come up like missing an engine when one is actually in, or standard cannot be used on a medium when actually gas turbine is in. I think Doc even had an error that said cannot place this on an air bomber.

You guys probably need to roll back this update. And look into why each update is effecting vehicle build states, its probably a systematic mistake that you guys keep making, and keep making it worse.

9. ImSpartacus

Check that you're updated and you're playing an updated server. Also make sure that you're not running the beta version (i.e. have [beta] after Empires in the steam library).

I can't get any of these problems unless I intentionally fuck things up with the above methods.

10. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

VIPER was not updated until 4:05 PDT; Any experiences before then on VIPER are unreliable.

11. ImSpartacus

Just wanted to drop in and say that I still can't repro any issues.

The only problem that I think might be happening is that people are using 2.52.1 presets without updating them in the build menu. If you literally just grab the damn engine and drop it back on there, then it should work.

If you're having problems, then you should have problems with ALL engines, not just one engine on one chassis. Every engine except jeep standard got its index fucked up. There are no "safe" engines.

12. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

I wanted to just remove HTT. It's a shitty mechanic to exploit. Heat should be something you have to manage yourself, not something that someone else should attack.

That was my opinion back in 2009 at least.