Empires 2.52.1 Released

Discussion in 'News' started by ImSpartacus, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I think that was really needed. It didn't really matter how much I changed shit, people would stick to the same kind of research regardless because it mainly consisted of incremental changes by the same guy. It needed someone to just change things completely so people would reset properly. I think that has to happen regardless every so often.

2. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

Fixed the @0 error? This is the best thing ever.

Can't tell you the number of times I've had the following conversation.

Jerkoff (@0): armory
    Me (@D3): uh... where?
    Jerkoff (@0): just look at the fucking chat dickhead
    Jerkoff (@0): next to my name
    Me (@D4): it says you are at 0
    Jerkoff (@0): gg nf lose comm can't do shit
    Jerkoff has joined BE

Also I researched reflective before it was cool.
    [​IMG]

3. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Fixed.

4. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

The player is retarded.

Maybe because I am picky, but I'd say you have a little responsibility too.
    You should be able to figure out his position without any aid.

5. Trainzack

Trainzack Member

Plasma is now incredibly op. I was just playing a round of crossroads, 1v2, dual wielding plasma cannons, and with one heavy I managed to kill ~15 tanks (mostly heavies).

One shot from plasma cannon completely overheats a tank and insta-kills infantry.

6. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Yeah, tank engines would not follow the same ratios of flimsy sport cars. Tanks burn fuel like a furnace.

And who cared about engine weight realism ever to begin with? Make it balanced, fuck realism.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  7. Herbie

Herbie Junior Member

It is such a rare and random bug, not even sure it was ever officially reported. I stumbled upon it by luck while debugging and decided to look into it. It may not be the only cause but only time will tell.

8. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

Oh, it's quite easy when somebody's asking for a ref to figure out where they want it, but I can only guess if somebody asks for most anything else.

I dunno why, but I encountered that bug quite frequently. I don't think I ever 'officially' reported it but I certainly complained in-game about it. Good work on managing to find it.

As an aside, it's very nice to see all this work being put in for the mod - and some very interesting updates.

9. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Don't just look at how much you killed, look at who you killed.
    If they didn't exploit your 3 sec cycle time, I doubt they were any good.

10. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Yeah, that's a problem that I have when I kill you all the time.

I need to find good players to kill.

11. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I never look at player position coordinates. I spent so much time using the cardinal directions that if I have to find a grid coordinate you'll have to wait about 10 seconds for me to get there.

I figure if someone wants to type "it's in what I typed" they clearly don't want the building enough. Commanders don't read. I thought that was obvious.

12. Freaknovich

Freaknovich Member

Well congrats empires devs. You have managed to release the worst update in the history of shitty updates. It's only a matter of time until player numbers will fail to reach double digits at peak times. I do not even need to list what makes it so terrible, that would be too long of a list. The horribleness speaks for itself. You fucked up big. Revert it back now or you'll be playing 1v1's with guns and whamo till the end of time.

13. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Actually, if you list all the issues it'd probably be easier. Spartacus was probably planning to release another patch a week after this one, because it's simply a field test of those ideas. Him being in charge of scripts for now means there'll probably be a lot of patches and live tests.

Considering the population we now have is roughly equal to what we used to test with.

14. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Yeah great, because just whinig about stuff always makes everything better. :headshot:
    Give some constructive critique or keep it to yourself.

15. Freaknovich

Freaknovich Member

OK fine you want me to list this shit?

-Scoped rifle
    -Plasma (broken beyond belief)
    -3 Phase weight (reactive + 3 phase is no longer an option)
    -Let's remove HE, smoke, conc grenades(why?)
    -Canons have red exes for particle effects

I guess that is all I can think of right now, however some of these things create an endless list of problems. Particularly the removal of a bunch of shit, just demonstrates that players are forced to play the way the "devs" would play. Removing scoped rifle is an example of "I don't use it, therefore you don't need it" which is absolutely retarded. It does not solve shit. If players want to be useless, they will remain useless, with or without the scoped rifle. Removal of the grenades demonstrates the lack of creativity in the devs. Instead of coming up with a way to make them more enjoyable and fair, they just go "gas 'em!" Removing these grenades does not fix the fact that there are still maps like district, where you can still spam mortars instead of HE nades. So what is the logical thing to do here, remove mortars? Given the track record of these updates, I would not be surprised. Also seismics do quite a but of damage to infantry now, so you can spam those, kill players, AND shake their screen, making it very hard for them to shoot back? Will seismics be removed from next patch? It's very likely.

There are players like me who like to mix it up and not just do "spray-n-pray" roflman spam like a good 90% of "good" players. I used conc grenades, no for spamming, but to disable turrets and to make squad hide more effective. I used HE nades, threw them at walls to have them bounce towards the enemy and kill them. I used smoke grenades... sometimes. And most importantly, I love my scoped rifle. For me, the fun in the game has been reduced by a significant amount. And that is why it is the shittiest update in the history of shitty updates.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2014
  16. 101010

101010 Member

+1

Also mines........wtf.
    Taking away from the game is a shitty way to try and improve it.
    Majority didn't want shit changed / removed. Mostly no reason for majority of this downgrade / update. Or any warning / discussion before.

What is the reasons and why is it thought that this should happen?
    In the future it would be nice to hear about shit before 25%+ of the game is changed.
    Maybe little by little would be better. Don't get me wrong I'm glad people are still keeping the updates coming but to majority of the community this was a bad one.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2014
  17. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Wow, slippery slope much? No lie, these tears are delicious. Especially the part where the infantry changes are just to see what happens, plasma and the particles are already being fixed and 3-phase was too versatile for its speed. But no, we could leave it as it is and let the game slowly die off or try to shake things up a bit for the players that are more interested in trying new things than the players that jump to bitching when things get modified.

I just love the parts where it's blatantly assumed what the thought process behind this was, going straight into flaming and just assume the worse out of everyone. "I don't use it, therefore you don't need it"? Yeah, no, that was never something I nor anyone else used as an argument for removal. Honestly, I was waiting all weekend for *someone* to finally start a shitstorm. For an update that ruins the game, there're an awfully large number of people that support it.

Empires went full stagnant. Nothing was changing, there were slight tweaks. I don't care if this stuff kills the game anymore, as far as I'm concerned, Empires had already died because of old "vets" that were more interested in letting the game stagnate because they didn't want to change and they didn't want to adapt. For me, Empires is much more fun when you have different comms getting different research, when infantry combat is getting moved around, when the game changes often enough that you can have an idea what's good and not always rush chem/bio/electric/physics or whatever the flavor of the version is, where vet doesn't mean as much because balance isn't around long enough for people to fully know what the absolute best is.

So you know what? Maybe Empires will die; maybe loads of players will quit en-masse over this. But I'd wager that people will stay because games become more interesting. I thought that more people would complain about the sniper rifle, plasma, mines, nades. But the single thing that people have complained about the most? Swapping P1 and P2 in loadout. If that's the single most common complaint people give, that two weapon slots got swapped, then I'm liable to think something went right.

What is this "majority" people speak of? There's an incredible disconnect between the people who post on the forums and most of the people who play the game. I've heard great reviews from new to old players, many of who enjoy the game actually changing for once in the past three fucking years. Oh sure, research paths changed. It was chem, it was physics, it was bio, but it was still all the same in the end.

Also, a lot of the reasoning is laid out in the opening post of the thread. Perhaps you should read it?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  18. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

CHANGE IN MY EMPIRES!?!?!?!?!"?!

MUST RAGE ON EVERYTHING!!!!!1111

Community has said "remove scout rifle plx", finally does it, gets raged on. Logic.

19. 101010

101010 Member

@candles try joiningt with an alt account. Kind of hard to get peoples real thoughts when their lips are glued to your ass.

20. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Please refrain from insulting our devs when giving feedback, thank you very much.