What is hardcoded?

Discussion in 'Closed bugs' started by Urknall, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Urknall

Urknall Member

Hey folks,

which files are hardcoded in Empires and how can I get access to these files? Which software do I need? Any ideas?

2. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

What do you mean when you say "hardcoded", if you refer to any source code that will not be in your folders.

3. Urknall

Urknall Member

Hmmm, it might be source code? I don't know, how these Half Life 2 mods are organized...

4. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Hardcoded means that a value is declared within the sourcecode, rather than being changeable within scripts.

5. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

This particular mod has much of its code in bin/client.dll and bin/server.dll.

To edit those, you need to edit the source code and recompile. It's tedious and requires a certain amount of technical ability.

For peasants, certain scripts were used to input parameters to the code. Pretty much everything in the scripts folder gets slurped up by the code.

You can change shit in the scripts and not have to recompile any code. It makes it easier to iterate and allows less skilled people to participate (*ahem*).

It might make more sense to go play in the scripts folder. That's what I do.

6. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Well any source code will not be in the client files, the files only have the binaries which is the source code compiled into binary code, the source is usually kept by the dev teams because it's potential intellectual property that they wouldn't want to have stolen. If you know how to program you could probably get on the dev team and have access to it, but I get the feeling you don't yet have the adequate skills.

7. Urknall

Urknall Member

Ah ok, I understand... is it "open source" or do you/they keep it secret for a commercial future? I mean, are there plans to earn money for it in the next year?

8. complete_

complete_ lamer

it contains steamworks code, which is under nda. also, krenzo is embarrassed by his code

9. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

LOL, I'm sure any code in there that I had to be embarrassed about has been replaced by embarrassing Mootant code.

10. ImSpartacus

Shots fired!

[​IMG]

11. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

hows the LE(D)GO project these days?

12. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

I remember that one disgusting snippet that dealt with vectors when placing walls

13. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Like complete_ said it has Steamworks code that valve doesn't want all over the internet. Also people have made arguments on why Open Source wouldn't be optimal, and it's been argued to death, but that's not mine to argue.

14. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I do suppose for some super basic stuff you could download the 2013 source code from the git hub and try to make rough guess of what's happening. Though I remember hearing a lot of code was actually made up because they didn't know source could do it already, or wasn't capable of doing what they wanted.

So unless you really know what you are doing I don't think that would help at all, unless you wanted to make some map entity. You'd have to ask whoever to put it in, but they would also have to make sure it works with whatever empires does.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  15. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Oh yeah, I didn't have the internet or access to any reference books when I was writing most of Empires 1.0 (I was in the middle of the Pacific Ocean), and that's one case I remember I couldn't look up how to convert degrees to radians and had to figure it out on my own.

There's a lot of shitty code out in the world. Most of the time you can't even fix it because you're told that there's no return on investment for refactoring the code.

16. ImSpartacus

That's pretty heartbreaking. I've always wondered how much refactoring actually takes place in a project that has to make money.

17. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Depends on how maintainable it needs to be. If it's a release-and-move-on kinda' product, not much. Long-term it becomes much more important though.

18. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Thankfully candles is autistic enough to figure it out.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  19. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

20. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

Most products nowadays are sold as a service, so it'll be maintained more often than not.