Empires 2.52.1 Released

Discussion in 'News' started by ImSpartacus, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

To be honest, most riflemen I see don't use their nades very much at all. What I'm describing here, though, is that (I think) a smaller percentage would be needed over all. Say if you had a squad of troopers, you'd now have a rifleman that was just as effective as a engy at taking down buildings, with the added bonus of them being more deadly. You wouldn't change all the engies into riflemen, but I think there'd be a greater percentage of them around.

At the moment, what limits riflemen the most are buildings and their inability to destroy them, with seismics, that's moderately mitigated.

2. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Complete actually sums up this patch pretty well.

3. PredatoR[HUN]

PredatoR[HUN] Member

Don't have much to say about most changes but I'm pretty happy about the nade removals and mine resistance.

And disabling the ranged rifle is also great, it was stupid good on rifleman. Made me quit playing quite a few times because people would abuse it on open maps.

4. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

mine change makes them a non-threatening speedbump.

MedCg is now way too overpowered. Its even worse seeing how it has ridiculous push, which with its insane RoF pushes peple around like ragdolls. It also has the absolute worst empires lag compensation. I got killed through walls by rifles many times today, but the med cg shot 2 meters away from my position, didnt do anything and then gibbed me. Bad shit.

Lack of He nades makes riflemen unable to push in any way against a team that has at least one not terrible engy.

Seismics doing infantry damage is a nono.

p2/p1 switcharoo is just dumb.
    In other news, bep2 still op.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  5. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

I like this nerf of mines, we really should prevent using insta-kill weapon.

It's always pretty hard for a "normal" Rifleman to push against a team that has non-terrible engis, with or without HE nade.
    But no don't get me wrong, I want HE grenade back probably more than you.

I have no comment on seismic doing infantry damage, either way, it's not breaking this game.

I agree with the rest.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  6. complete_

complete_ lamer

~yes.~

7. 101010

101010 Member

boycott until this is crap is undone.

8. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I could be wrong... but it looks like you ended up slowing down tank combat a bit, as in tanks will last longer. Not only did you raise the survivability of several armors, you reduced the amount of damage some weapons did, along with raising the heat for several of them. I thought people were complaining about how tanks could soak up so much damage?

Maybe I'm wrong though, you did so many changes that it is hard to tell.

I do wonder about ranged though, that improved std cannon is basically ranged minus 10 damage and it doesn't shoot as straight. Makes me wonder why bother, HE will feel more like an upgrade. I don't disagree with the idea of a 2 slot cannon that you get for free though. It's just, research has to feel like it is needed I suppose? I guess you an talk about why get uml or something, but uml works at a crazy distance while being a lot faster than std mls, it's a big improvement for tank fights and building sniping. Cannons always shoot in a straight line and the shell travels fast, so it doesn't seem much like an upgrade is what I'm getting at.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  9. ImSpartacus

It's funny - people were pleading with me to get something other than improved standard cannon. Players were literally yelling at each other to respec their tanks with ranged. But as you said, they are nigh identical.

Part of me thinks standard cannon is a bit OP.

10. Lazybum

I think it has something to do with feedback. Meaning std cannon isn't a satisfying weapon to use, it doesn't go boom or anything so it feels like shit. To be fair ranged is kinda like that, but you can shoot quite a bit more because it has less heat.

11. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

well, atleast its fun to play around and not knowing how good or bad (or if it even does damage) every cannon is.

12. Z100000M

Its splash and damage are way better against infantry than they used to be.

Also, holy fuckballs is everyone who abused bear on insurrection a gianormous faggot. That thing is worse than sr ever was.

Nfhr seems to have some proper power behind it, but super range empires is bad empires really. Getting sniped across the map doesnt really fit my idea of teamwork based game.

13. Lazybum

No, it doesn't. I was saying I was doing rather well with the nfhr, but I had a feeling that was only because I was dealing with people using the bear. Which mostly translates to everyone crouching in one spot which is exactly what you want for long distance stuff. I have to see people not testing out stuff to really know if it makes a difference I think.

I was really kinda sad to see no one bothering to research regen or reflective. I wanted to do that during duststorm but someone else finally decided to hop in the cv. I feel like regen will once again be something wonderful on a open map.

Jeeps are nice though, I think it is an improvement over what was there before.

14. complete_

complete_ lamer

the main menu looks about a 1/3 better. best to go all the way

e: yep, youre right. you killed super lights. which pretty much means nf will never research 3phase and reactive since they cant even put a cannon and ml on their tanks
    in fact, noone will bother researching 3phase at all since it weighs too much. youre not supposed to put the two heaviest things (reactive and 3phase) with each other. why is 3phase 30 pounds heavier than advanced coolant? who knows! hooray for lack of explanation!

YEAH GAS TURBINE 10 POUNDS 3PHASE 60 POUNS

15. Vdragon

Vdragon Member

But magnets are generally heavy...

16. ImSpartacus

Batteries are heavy.

17. Z100000M

Not more than the full fuel tank you'd need otherwise.

18. Smithy

Smithy Developer Staff Member Administrator

I'm responsible for it changing but I didn't change the background image. I really just wanted to change the fact that it said empires twice on the main menu. Problem with the one you linked is that the news panel would hide most of the NF logo.

19. ImSpartacus

Look at a Tesla Roadster compared its gasoline version, the Lotus Elise. They get roughly the same range of 200 miles (the Elise might be a bit higher), but the Tesla weighs about 40% more.

So the question isn't if reality's electric vehicles are heavier than their comparable fossil fuel alternatives. The question is do we want to represent that in this game?

20. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

No. Heavy engine is heavy.

I actually got to use reflective twice on two different maps last night. People researching it again! I think that's probably the best thing about these changes - they're so wide ranging that everyone's trying everything just to see how it'd work out. Totally shook up combat - and thus games were actually hella fun yesterday.