emp_glycencity feedback

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by complete_, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I think ziooom touched most of the good points. Apart from level 3's, I don't really mind them because we have vehicles. Imo they're 50x worse on crossroads - where tickets are actually critical to the game too. At least on glycen you usually have space and some random cover to mortar them.

Regarding armour, why not just unlock abs? It's got no resists vs infantry and the HP isn't very high, as well as it being cheap. With weapons, why not unlock support ones like HE MG? God knows it doesn't get used anywhere else, and it's the perfect thing on that map - explosive radius that will hassle infantry behind cover and very rarely kill them, slow rof and useful against turrets. Wouldn't that solve most of the issues, while adding a little more strategy to vehicles?

2. Empty

Empty Member

Well HEMG would obsolete LTs and AFVs completely I believe.

3. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

What kind of damage does it actually do to armour? I never see it researched any more but the last time I used it it only did like 10hp vs infantry.

4. Empty

Empty Member

I think 1 clip should take down a paper tank, and because it's hitscan it's going to be a lot easier to use than standard cannons and MLs.

5. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Bah! Okay, I guess that doesn't work then. Though it would have been magic if abs was good against it somehow :P

6. Empty

Empty Member

Do some testing maybe? Abs might be able to hold out but I feel like an anti tank MG will perform better than standard. I haven't played much recently, but for a very long time rushing HEMG or DUMG before the enemy gets good tanks and rushing with antitank APCs has been a usable strategy and I doubt it's been nerfed that heavily.

7. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Soo...apparently HE MG is the most devastating thing known to man. Against plain, abs, reactive or composite.

Did not know that. I should do more testing, lol. Comparatively, Bio MG does hardly nothing, and DU HMG overheats the tank pretty fast. I'm sensing secret weapon balancing at work :p

8. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

I want flame throwers.

9. Empty

Empty Member

Infantry flamethrowers
    -No models
    -Gameplay problems

Vehicle flamethrowers
    -Needs LOTS of code support and testing to make sure it works well and is balanced
    -Particles are very difficult as large fire effects tend to be very expensive. I think I can do it but ehhh
    -Useless on open maps.

10. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

I have been sitting on an idea for awhile, ill post it in suggestions when its on paper. Feel free to remove my comment.

11. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Oh great, even more particle LoS blocking

splendid.

12. Empty

Empty Member

nobody bitches about vision blocking in any other game
    get over it

13. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Capping 2nd BE flag is hard because there's no direct route like to the 2nd NF flag. May I suggest the the route in red?

Also, a more radical idea. I'm of the opinion that this map bottlenecks way too hard for both sides. Adding a route (in blue) that can only be traversed by infantry seems like an interesting backdoor.

The blue dashes are rubble, sandbags and general cover for infantry. The blue blobs is large building rubble.

The red lines here are passages through the buildings where infantry can enter and exit. There should also be windows to fire out of. Think of DoD or Carentan from CoD 2.

[​IMG]

14. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I like beerdude's idea of an extra wide open, infantry only path leading to nf's second flag. Would really help with the bottlenecking.

15. Empty

Empty Member

My concern is NF can also use that route with extreme effectiveness, that corner is generally where BE sets up shop and sieges mid, but NF can just pincer from mid and from their second flag with infantry denying all vehicles, which gimps BE really heavily when they try to take mid, it also gives NF another route to sneak through to BE's second flag and then blitz mid for a cap, then quickly cap 2nd.

16. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I don't quite understand what you mean here. Do you mean after nf goes through that new alleyway they will then go straight to be's second flag then loop back to cap mid? That sounds terribly pointless and easy to see coming.

I kinda thought abut how much nf would make use of it, but BE would also be making quite a bit of use from it. Both sides would be pushing into that area is what I am getting at, especially because it looks big and inviting it will be easy for people to know that it goes towards the second flag.

Really it would just prevent the game from stagnating, though I really think that is more an issue at high pop then low pop.

17. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Maybe such a route should be 1-way? Like BE is dropping off a roof or some shit. Or there's a chain-link fence, but only the BE side has a crate to jump over it.

18. complete_

complete_ lamer

done. 2nd flags are now owned by their respective teams by default
    i do want to do this, i looked through it awhile ago though and it seems all the brushes of the building are locked together. unless someone more experienced than me knows how to break grouped brushes in hammer apart, then ill probably not do this.
    and yeah, i dont want symmetrical combat either
    i want to do this badly, but its silk's textures and the developer's game. unless they tell me they dont want stupid "ice" in the texture it stays. sorry

vehicles are much weaker since 2.12. a vehicle with absorbant or regen will still die pretty damn quickly.

lvl3s have been gone for ages, now its just lvl1s. noone really uses them though. im really toying with allowing lvl2s.

---------------

although i'd like to try new layouts, i'd rather not have this map end up like the new urbanchaos, where the size of the map is increased twofold. i'd like to start with small changes, and work from there.

here are some plans i have:
    • currently 2 people are needed to recap each respective team's 1st and 2nd flags. want to change that to 1.
    • better armor, abs or regen. same default engine.
    i raised the ground at the below location (red circle), so a apc can park safetly behind a building (you can actually park it there in the current version, i just made it more user-friendly)
    [​IMG]

some stuff im still mulling over:
    adding lvl2s. besides allowing turrets to be upgraded, i want to add a lvl2 by the teams' 2nd flags, for a little more defense
    i want to change the wall layout around be's bunker flag. make it a bit harder to enter as nf and easier for be.
    find an easier way for be to get to their 1st flag (its so easy for nf to go to their flag but be has to look backwards, go up a hill, and jump over walls). any ideas?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  19. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Does hammer treat the entire map as ice or can you place "ice brushes" in certain spots. I am thinking if that is possible... just ice the roads and building tops and leave everything else as dirt.

20. complete_

complete_ lamer

its part of the texture's .vmt file. not the map