emp_glycencity feedback

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by complete_, Sep 25, 2014.

1. complete_

complete_ lamer

as the king of infantry maps i have taken it upon myself to fix this travesty, so heres a feedback topic
    now i don't expect alot of it seeing how the last topic went, but what are your thoughts on glycencity?

ignoring the fact that its a infantry map, what can be improved about it?

the problems that i see currently:
    • no space to park in middle for be apc (tell me if im wrong)
    • easy for nf to cap and win (due to shortcut nf takes to be 2nd flag)
    • people seem to skip the second flag sometimes
    • uselessness of the lt and afv (in fact all vehicles are weak)
    did i miss any?

here's the minimap for the current version (for reference):
    [​IMG]

link to a previous discussion in 2011 (map hasn't really changed since then):
    http://forums.empiresmod.com/showthread.php?t=15074

(brackets)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  2. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

I keep thinking that the room south of the mid flag connects to a shortcut to NF's flag. Sorta like the shortcut to BE's flag.

3. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Idk I really like the map, I don't get the hate. It's one of my favourite infantry maps and I don't see what's wrong with it. But I'm sure it can be improved, I just don't really see any glaring issues with it, except for the fact that stupid teams rush the mid flag without capping the 2nd, and then lose the game in 2 minutes.

4. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

That map IS my favorite map. The only downside for me is like you said... afv/lt's are crap.

I do find it rather easy to wall off the middle flag and hold it once capped. Once I do wall it, my team generally wins eventually.

Most don't even care about the mini resource flags on the outskirts of the map.

5. complete_

complete_ lamer

i don't know if you've played it recently, but what happens is nf usually wins the map. they cap the middle and while be fields an apc to the middle to recap, nf captures their 2nd flag.

spartacus: the nf shortcut requires a little more walking, the be "shortcut" is a direct passageway

6. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

So maybe you might want to consider adding a more direct shortcut on the nf side in the area that I described? I still go into that little room thinking it goes all of the way through. I feel like I'm going insane.

7. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I know it isn't direct, but I do like that little building shortcut from mid to nf 2nd flag. Maybe add another passage to open somewhere else? I think the main problem with it is that it bottlenecks real bad, so it is hard for be to push and win. I kinda don't want you to stick in another open alleyway like for be's side, I think it's nice to have asymmetrical stuff like that.

Oh, I think it needs to be made more obvious to new players that going into that building leads somewhere, I don't think it actually looks like much at the moment.

8. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Idk I really like the map, I don't get the hate. It's one of my favourite infantry maps and I don't see what's wrong with it. But I'm sure it can be improved, I just don't really see any glaring issues with it, except for the fact that stupid teams rush the mid flag without capping the 2nd, and then lose the game in 2 minutes.

Except the shortcut to NF's 2nd flag is too easily defendable. That whole area becomes one huge chokepoint, something that doesn't happen when NF are pushing.

9. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i think most hate comes from times when we had decent server populations for classic maps but all people wanted to do is having a 64player clusterfuck on infantry maps.
    they could be working with lower pops and they are no bad maps per se, but i overplayed them to a point where i get bored of them after 5 minutes now and if shit doesnt work like its supposed to work i rather sadden quit to spec and dream about good old times where there was 64 players and a vehicle limit of 10 right before i leave the server because the repetitive stalemate on those maps will last for another 40 minutes minimum.

10. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

There was a bug, im not sure if it was fixed or not.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=242530162

Where the map would randomly clip vehicles into the ground and become unmovable.

I only encountered this problem on this map in particular.
    It was pretty funny and gave the impression of getting stuck in the snow.

11. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

The map is way too 1/0

Be has superior defense, but thats not how you win the game
    Nf has way better attack, but god forbid you loose mid at any point. Nf has abysmal comeback on this map.

What you said about Be apc is somewhat correct. You can still park them behind mounds, but flanking inf can kill them rather easily. I think there is nothing really wrong with that, but (even though im the only one using this it seems) nf can park behind the one mound and be really nicely covered.

Nf vf is really easy to kill compared to be one.
    Be cap points are hard to get as NF, while nf points are exposed.

The whole fence bullshit between be 2nd and mid. It stops nf in tracks and makes pushes suicides, but
    1) you can still shoot through the fence in some places
    2) it makes it a turtlefest or even worse a
    3)fucking nadespam

As Nf everything leads to the be bunker flag. You can cap some miniflags, but thats it.
    As Be, using the bullshit passage makes you able to secure both last nf flags within seconds and its really hard to spot as nf as well.

Miniflags are all in weird places. You either never get them, or have nobs running around instead of doing usefull stuff. Resupply points are nice, but not in the middle of nowhere. The only tactic this gives you is to have scouts crawl around and cap them and its boring busywork trying to deal with that.

As far as map in general goes, Be's mid entrance is pretty exposed while Nfs is pretty short. if nf has mid they can see apcs from a mile away, while be must push all the way to have the same advantage.

The snowed in building on the nf side - why is this even a thing? It only serves to shelter be who sneak from the passage and you are never getting them out of there.

AND PLEASE STOP THE SNOW BEING TREATED AS ICE. THE GETTING HIT PUSHBACK MECHANIC IS THE WORST ON THIS MAP. (and pretty fucking stupid in itself really) If you ever get hit, you are treated as running and get crap accuracy immediately. Whoever gets the first hit wins. This makes security style yolo pushes way too good.

As for vehicles being weak - yeah they are, but frankly, if you were to buff them, apcs would just outright dominate the map instead. Id rather they stay cheap and spammable. Maybe if you allow some better armor after say 10 minutes or so, but most definately not from the get-go.

I dont know if its still a thing, the map has plummeted in popularity, but disallow lvl3s. Middle with lvl3s is cancer.

A minor thing really, the be vf really looks like it makes driving harder. Nf has to go in a straight line 3 times and make a 90 and a 180 to get a map. Be have to immediately make a 90, thendrive around that dmn bunker, then two 90's. Just place it much like the nf one.

As for the big map screw ups - its too easy to chain cap both of the last flags on either side. Frankly, both 2nd to last flags are way too close to the spawns. Its bad on BE, but even worse on Nf since if the enemy caps it, spawn rape commences. Both last flags have defences, but funny enough, they will be used by attackers and not against them.

12. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Yeah this is not how snow works, I was going to edit my post and bitch about the sliding thing.

13. Empty

Empty Member

I like vehicle balance on glycen, tanks are very niche and fragile if used improperly, but are excellent at breaking through front lines long enough to take down enemy APCs.

Paper LTs and AFVs is the most intense tank battling in empires, you die so fast and it's nervewracking. The only problem is on 40+ players if you build an AFV you instantly get shot with 200 RPGs.

14. Z100000M

Or get popped by a fast arty + rpg combo.

Though i dont even remember how well it works on glycen. It worked miracles on urban.

This reminds me, roads could get a little more wide. You can hardly get more than one vehicle fit.

15. Empty

Empty Member

I like that combo though, it rewards good grenadier skills, and it's a risk because it unloads both of your main weapons, so if you fuck up you're boned against the tank and other infantry.

If the tanks bad better anti infantry weapons it would be fair imo. As is, you only get tanks to kill APCs and other tanks.

16. Z100000M

Oh, but how could I hate against another stupid empires trick i figured on my own?
    As for weapons, the problem is that vanilla stuff is shit, but 50 cal would be overkill. No middle ground to be found unfortunately i think. And please dont suggest ugl on an inf map.

Edit: actually, you've misread. I said ARTY + rpg, not mortar + rpg.

17. Empty

Empty Member

Oh.
    I never squad lead because I don't enjoy using the abilities.

18. Z100000M

Shame, squad leading as gren or engy is probably the most brain straining thing in empires, but its rewarding as hell.

too bad most people can't lead for shit.

19. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

Can the two flags that start neutral, instead be owned by their team, NF and BE?
    As that's often the biggest ragemoment of the map, to get two people to get up to the plateu/into the bunker and capture those 2 flags before the apcs can get into the middle.

20. Empty

Empty Member

Yeah I usually just follow someones lead or just lonewolf it.
    Occasionally people figure out that I know what i'm doing and follow me around but I don't usually squad lead because my mic is ass and I usually play at 4am so voice chat's a bad idea anyway.