General WIP Models

Discussion in 'Art' started by f1r3w4rr10r, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I don't quite understand why the weapon models need to be changed. They seem easily recognizable and fit the themes of each faction. That luger you made does look neat, but the old model fits the generic pistol idea just fine. Unless you guys want to give empires a more unique feel to weapons. Which I guess is fine.

Really though, could you do something about the nf heavy rifle? According to many the weapon model doesn't line up right so you can't really make accurate shots with it. The only person I've seen have a lot of success with it is harryhoot, and that is because he simply replaced the entire model with something else.

2. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

NF rifle 2 looks like shit.

And it would be nice if the deployable on the mg's were removed seeing as king empty will actively stop people from coding a deploy system for them or a iron-sights mode.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  3. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

NFHR problems
    1)giant fucking visual recoil, making followups impossible
    2)one rifle that actually needs to be aimed in current meta has broken sights, (much like any other rifle really).
    3)slow dps and it being long range make you unable to tell if you are actually hitting shit.

99)some people don't like battle rifles

In that order.
    I was suspicious as to how he was so good lately with it. I though he was better than just outright cheating though.

```

now that i think about it and recall all the data, all rifles shoot to the left of the supposed target, as far as sights are concerned.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  4. Lazybum

To be fair, I'm going of the assumption that he changed the model on the account of all those model swaps he did. They're somewhere in the wiki I think. That and I swear I saw a video he made where almost everything he used was different, but that was some old version of empires I think. Still, I don't quite consider that cheating, he just fixed the main issue and now has something usable. It'd be different if there was no model and just a simple dot, but I'm pretty sure he uses some gun from cod.

5. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

BE Pistol 1 and 2 share a model, don't they? Er...that is the X-Pistol and the Tundra Falcon.

Most weapons don't need a replacement. Some need a bit of tweaking with animations and iron sight fail and some could use slightly different sounds. However, if you find a specific weapon, there's always a possibility that the model itself will spark a weapon idea. After all, we used to have 3 smg's too.

The problem with this thread is it isn't a brainstorming thread, and you can't very well brainstorm in the middle of modelling. That being said, if we could ever get a gas grenade launcher, it would be an interesting weapon to have around and perhaps something we could replace the scout's nades with. Or somewhere else maybe.

Then again, no point making weapons that wouldn't make it in, I guess.

6. Z100000M

Did they ever? Even the old BeP2 was different. The new one looks nothing alike.
    Kill me, I cant stand to look at those names. The first one reads like a name of a dildo from a cheap sexshop and the other like 80ies crappy b movie action film.
    Is a GL really such a good idea? Nadespam can be pretty bad as it is and I swear smoke/flash spam should be a bannable offence.

A sticky stun launcher on the other hand Is not so terrible.

7. Lazybum

I will say that if you have to reload the GL it kinda stymies nade spam a bit, especially if you make it fire at the same rate you throw grenades. It would be a mechanic that actually doesn't add much beyond increasing range yet gives an valid excuse to why someone can't throw so many grenades.

I can understand that tundra falcon looks like an 80's movie references, a lot of stuff will have similar sounding names to brand names to avoid royalty fees, in this case it's suppose to be desert eagle. I kinda like it, better than pistol 2 at any rate and gives a basic idea of what to expect if you recognize the naming similarities.

8. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

First of, I want to point out that seemingly a lot of you have a pretty different idea of what an actual Luger pistol looks like. Just because it has an exposed barrel doesn't mean it is one. (Yes I took some inspiration from it on that part, but that's about it.)
    [​IMG]

Honestly with how the general opinion goes around here, I am just short of giving up to come up with new concepts and instead just remodel the existing weapons.

And concerning the requests: I usually don't. But if you give me some more info on what you want them for, how high my polygon budget and allowed texture resolution is and so on, I'll think about it.

9. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Ineed the model for emp_nuclear, but it's so far down the priority list that it might as well never happen at this rate.

I have no clue about polies and texture resolution, ubt it'd be good if they didn't stick out as performance hogs, right? :p

10. Neoony

Neoony Member

RPG reload animation is kinda off btw.
    Very often I find myself not reloaded even when the animation looked like it finished and it should probably be ready as soon as you put the rocket in.
    Talking about reloading and switching weapon. Pretty annoying even after playing all those hours.

11. Z100000M

Yeah, mortar and rpg suffer from the "I have inserted the mag but it doesnt count" reload problem thats common in fps.

12. Lazybum

I think technically that can be fixed by just lowering the cycle time a tad in the scripts. Then again I don't think anyone wants the rpg to fire faster, so you'd have to modify the reload animation bit so it happens over the full 3 seconds.

13. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

...you know, I've used it and it still feels like the same to me. You're right and I'm just way off. I guess that's because comparatively they share a very similar shape and are more differentiated in the way that cs pistols are different, rather than the large differences between weapons in Empires.

X-Pistol isn't the best, but they aren't my names and I feel they're better than pistol 1/2. If you figure out a name and the devs approve it, by all means. I'm sure they'd let you change it.

I was thinking more along the idea of a support weapon. Like a dot-style weapon with small smoke/cover clouds.

I guess you have to find an approved niche first, right? Otherwise you'd just be making good models for not much reason and...yeah unfortunately that wouldn't work so well.

It's not like we don't appreciate your efforts, it's just...no one knows what new weapons are needed. We're at a point where we've actually reduced the number of weapons because we had too many so... Unless you want to like run the idea of a melee weapon past the dev team. I mean something that would just replace the melee ability of weapons for the most part. Would be cool - though likely unapproved - to get like a rapier for BE and a cutlass for NF. It's the sort of fun thing that people would complain about too much.

Sorry about that. I guess we're just spitballing...

14. Neoony

Neoony Member

it seems much worse for the rpg, I would actually say that reload takes longer than the actual animation motion

its just terrible how the animation on the ending goes "slowly putting the rpg straight" and sometimes it even seems like the reloading animation ended but it did not (EDIT: last few miliseconds of the animation pretty much "collides" with the walking/running rpg animation if thats the right way to explain it)

happens a lot to me, so I made a habit of rechecking if I really reloaded, but dont always have time for that

its not even easy to learn the proper timing on that

I Never had such issue with mortar

15. Neoony

Neoony Member

It doesnt need to shoot faster, just to be reloaded when you switched the weapon while the ending of the animation didnt finish.
    Lets say you would still be unable to fire until the animation ends and the animation of switching the weapon should take care of not being able to shoot faster.

Just like it is in csgo, but in csgo it sucks because you can make it fire faster as the switching weapon animation is really fast. So you can reload faster when switching the weapon right after you put the mag in your weapon. (you cant fire faster without doing the switching)

And as Iam talking about miliseconds, I dont even care about having it right after you put the rocket/shell into the weapon. Iam just talking about that animation ending in RPG which looks like its some bad aimer handling it and cant make it straight after reloading.

Might be a bit harder to fix it like this, than what you suggested tho.
    But Iam not sure if your suggestion wouldnt do just that, as the ending of the reload animation would still be there. Iam just not sure if it would still not allow you to fire until it ends, even if it was reloaded before the animation ended.

Sorry for splitting the topic I guess xD

16. Z100000M

RPGs and mortars, unlike say bf stuff, dont have the current ammo/all ammo counter. That system allows you to tell if the thing is loaded or not. In empires, its all ammo, all the time. I just want a visual thing that will show that the thing is good to go.
    Thats indeed the case, after the rpg pops back in its usual spot in the hud after the reload, it still stays unloaded for a bit.

17. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

This wrestles my jimmies considerably.

I love the foregrip on the rifle in the bottom left. It's like a tavor.

[​IMG]

Carry on.