Redesigning the Empires art

Discussion in 'Art' started by Redskull, Aug 15, 2014.

1. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

A "comical" art style doesn't only refer to how it's shaded. With comical in this case I mean over exaggerated proportions and the like. And don't blame me for something Angry told me some time ago. (He actually hasn't gotten back to me about it yet at all.) I know he was only responsible for sound design, but as long as nobody here is appointed to do the art lead, neither is it our decision to make, nor is anything decided on.

Concerning hit boxes: Those would most likely have to be remade.

2. Redskull

Redskull Member

Tried out some things on the rear:

[​IMG]
    Click for big

3. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

To be honest, with the right side of the turret being as it is, it almost looks like it would be an oscillating turret. You might want to try that out if you can.

Other than that, I'd add some vents for the engine on the back and remove the hatch. The crew is most likely not going to enter via the engine compartment and maintenance hatches for those are usually not round.

4. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

That clearly is a toilet seat, how come you're so blind?

[​IMG]

5. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

6. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

VW beetle - tank edition

7. Redskull

Redskull Member

I changed the turret a bit and added some barrels on the side to make it look more compact and I also removed the entire exhaust thing in the back.
    We are still working on figuring out how the wheels and treads work code-wise, so apologies if progress might be a bit slow until we figure that part out.

Feel free to submit suggestions on how to make this thing look better though!

[​IMG]

8. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Can you take a pic with the hatch open like all our current vehicles?

9. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

texture it :scnr:

tbh i liked it better without that barrels, but as always its a matter of taste - but id really love to see a textured lowpoly ;)

10. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

thing is you don't really do that with a model as long as the highpoly isn't final. You'd end up with doing a lot of work again, should something change. What you could do though, is vertex paint it, if you have the possibility.

11. Trickster

I've seen a lot of great models posted over the past 6 years on these forums, but it's amazing how many of them either stop being developed because someone can't texture them, or they get textured and the textures just aren't good enough (which often ruins some excellent 3D work).

Obviously I have absolutely no idea how talented Redskull is at texturing, but if he's half as good as he is at modelling, this tank will be ingame without question.

12. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

I already offered to help texture. (You've seen how the collar looks, I't a lot easier for me now with the tools I have.) I also offered help in porting it, but never got an answer until now. And I still need a statement from you guys on the guns, so I can start on at least something.

13. Redskull

Redskull Member

Here it is with the hatch up:
    [​IMG]

I want to texture it myself, porting it shouldn't be a problem but I'll ask for help if I need to when I get there. Regarding the guns, perhaps a new thread would be a good idea to post progress and ideas, especially for Brenodi since I believe they will be the most difficult to define art-wise.

14. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

There is already a thread, it's just not public, since I want to discuss it internally first.

15. Trickster

Idk why but with the hatch up, it now looks like something where I can go "yeah, there's an Empires tank". I am so fucking stoked for this.

16. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

If you ain't got a dude hanging half-out a tank spinning like a foo it just ain't Empires.

17. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

With how the turret looks (its big compared to the hull, which is really short) and because of the shot, it really looks like a light tank. It really looks like the ww2 russian light tanks.

Also, honestly, I like the model... but it doesnt solve the NF meds problems. Of course, I do not know what's its scale, but the way i imagine it, it would just as high, if not higher. Thats just bad, as the problem with the med is that it can't shoot low and has a realy high profile which makes missing it an achievement.

Also, one thing that really annoys me as far as emp desings go, none of the tanks have any representation of missle launchers, so they just shoot them randomly from turrets. Would you mind to slap a double barreled tube, which could be seen as a launcher?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  18. Empty

Empty Member

Maybe lower the height the chassis sits off the ground by squashing the treads down a bit.
    The scale looks a bit weird too, I wonder if you could put a reference of it next to an NF med or a BE med? Or would that be impossible with your modelling software?

19. Redskull

Redskull Member

Alright, I imported the current NF medium and realised that my model was sitting a bit high so I tightened up the treads a little and lowered the turret.
    Here are some pics for size comparison with the ML slot included.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This way the new NF medium will have no problem hitting close targets.

20. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

You are officially on my "i fucking love you" list.

Now, one thing that I noticed. Desing wise I love it, but it would seem like a low shot could graze its own armour, game wise.

Just a note though, im pretty sure whoever handles the vehicles could just put the fire point half a meter away from the barrel to eliminate the problem.

Okay, one thing that somewhat strikes me as weird - the barrel. I do like the asthetics, but frankly it doesnt give an impression like its a boom cannon. Be's med got the lenght, why not give this guy here some girth. Think snubnose early Panzer IV's.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014