Audiophile

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Space_Oddity, Aug 24, 2014.

?

Whatcha use?

1. Ear buds.

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  2. Gaming Headset.

6 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. Full sized, closed.

6 vote(s)
    30.0%
  4. Full sized, open.

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. Portable.

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. Space_Oddity

Space_Oddity The Shitstorm

l2Koss

2. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

200 dollars on anything that does not let me replace broken cables is a joke.

3. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Hear hear, if there's cheaper quality headphones with replaceable cables I'd usually choose them over its higher quality counterparts.

4. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

You can replace the cables on my HD 650s.

5. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Replacing cables isn't hard. At least on head phones it isn't. I'm not so sure about earbuds though, that sounds like a real pain.

6. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

So i solved my static problem by using the audio out at the back of the PC instead of those in the front. The static is gone and I hear more details of everything too now. Should have really thought about that earlier.

7. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

wsl is eh nur die lötstelle, klinke neu löten is keine große hexerei ... wennst an lötkolben hast und hinkommst ^^

(sry bc "german" im on mobile and cnp sucks with touch)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  8. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Nah, löten is net so meins ;)

9. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

kriegst ja eh ka note drauf ^^

so apparently the word i couldnt recall is soldering (löten), i only had welding in my head but that would be a bit over the top for a jack - can you weld copper aswell or well not can you, but does anyone do that? :D

add:
    seems like you do ...

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  10. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Bin quasi kapitän kalte lötstelle :P

Meistens bricht aber das kabel hinter der verdickung und dann wirds nervig.

11. complete_

complete_ lamer

orki orki börk börk klaus kinski

12. Space_Oddity

Ports Pro finally bit the dust after 6 years of service. :(

13. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

There's a faulty connection in my cable, it sometimes turns everything into static :|

14. Lazybum

A break in the wire? There really isn't a good fix for that, you have to replace the whole cable. I mean if there is an obvious break in the insulation or a deep crease somewhere you probably found your problem. Though I hear it isn't such a good idea to solder a connection between two cables, but I never noticed anything to bad about that. Something like the solder acts a bit like a resistive... or something, can't remember.

15. Space_Oddity

The right driver stopped working in my PPs because of a break in the wire by the jack, the wire is to thin and the connections too small for me to repair, I'm clumsy enough when it comes to guitars.

Decided to get something different after work and tried out a few sets in HMV (they have headphones on display where you can plug your own music in and listen). It was a bit difficult because of three fucking wiggers trying out EVERY Beats iPod dock with a track that seemed to be the word "drank" over and over again.

Fell in love with the first set I tried: House of Marley "Positive Vibrations". Big enough to fit over my big head and big ears and a really decent sound, almost as good instrument separation as Porta Pros but with a more 'powerful' sound. That said, I've been actually using the I tried out a load of other stuff (Sennheisers were worse than the Skullcandies of the same price because of their contempt for peasants) but nothing, even the stuff 3x the price, came close.

I also tried some Beats. Lol.

After reading a few reviews, apparently the concensus is that they fail at drum & bass and female vocals. Oh. Woe is me.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  16. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

On the outside the cable is intact, somewhere along the connection is loose and I have to keep the whole thing in anything but a certain angle at that point.

I just don't know where exactly.

17. Lazybum

Yeah nah, its broke. Something you could do is just take the wire and connetion from a broken set or buy some really cheap ones, like under 5$, and just solder those wires into the old headphones. Some disassembly required.

If you have a headset with a mic or a bunch of fancy connection, then I don't have a good answer to that, might as well get a new one. I mean you could salvage another wire from something, I tend to hoard stuff so I fix things, but I don't know how much effort you want to put into it.

A thought did occur to me, if you have a basic idea of where the break is you can just cut out that section then reconnect the wires. Though that only works if its a small stretch of wire, a long segment really just kinda sucks because of how short it will end up.

I should point out simply twisting them together doesn't really work, they will just fray and fall apart in a week or something. You need to solder them for long lasting durability.

18. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

For my gaming needs I still use a Creative Fatal1ty Gamer Headset, I even have a spare one in case I strip an rip the wire again. They are good for what they where designed for: gaming. And I am not expecting them to do any good at anything else. 20 EUR every 3 years for a headset where I don't have to worry about breaking it leaves me with a better feeling than spending 10 times the money on something that I will mainly use for gaming and "limewire from 10 years ago".

19. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

The Fatal1ty headset actually has amazing sound if you equalize it. I tried two other, more expensive, headphones after it and they didn't sound nearly as good.

20. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Yeah I used the Fatal1ty headset for like 3 years and was pretty happy with it. Just a really solid headset.