Audiophile

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Space_Oddity, Aug 24, 2014.

?

Whatcha use?

1. Ear buds.

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  2. Gaming Headset.

6 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. Full sized, closed.

6 vote(s)
    30.0%
  4. Full sized, open.

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. Portable.

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Not all guitars have a truss rod, so wood quality does make a difference there. Though it is needed when you use a soft wood like pine or something. Even when I go to a guitar store and try out different ones with a similar build quality but different wood there is a bit of difference. I'm only gauging on personal experience, it is like mcgyver saying he can't hear a difference between his akgs and his earbuds. I hear a difference between the guitars.

I do suppose it also has to do with I don't crank up the volume of the amp, so I can still hear the sound the guitar itself makes which is probably influencing me.

Excuse the ignorance, but what is a lack? Never heard of it and google gives me nothing.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  2. Space_Oddity

Space_Oddity The Shitstorm

Any electric guitar or bass worth buying has a truss rod, the only brand I can think of that doesn't is Wish Bass and they're the most hilariously awful brand in the world.

Different guitars will sound different because no two are alike but this is all about build quality. If you can hear a difference then I'm not going to say you're lying but it has nothing to do with the wood. What were the two guitars you were comparing?

My current favourite is a stock squier jv jazz and that's made if some kind of basswood ply.

Also mayama means lacquer. I take it of the neck of any instrument I play but it's just for comfort.

3. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

The difference is because it vibrates more or less depending on the density of the material which amplifies the string vibration. It has nothing to do with the wood itself. You can create the same effect by pressing your guitar against a solid object negating most of the vibration. The typical fender bass sound for example is a byproduct of the cheap 10 euro bridge they use on those things.

Removing the laquer gives you more sustain because laquer dampens the vibration.

EDIT:
    Ritter and LeFay are two small german bass companies, the first one makes basses completly out of metal and the second one often uses aluminium fretboards. Guess what both sound exactly like basses made out of wood (with insane sustain).

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  4. Space_Oddity

5. Lazybum

Like I said somewhere I tend to play with the amp a bit low, so I do hear the guitar itself, not just what the pickups are getting. So I would like a guitar that can sound nice by itself, not just when it's plugged in.

Seeing what he has to say it true though, I won't deny it.

6. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

[​IMG]

You need piezo pickups like in this bass to hear a difference.

Edit:
    Metal nuts are the best thing ever, every guitar should have one.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  7. Space_Oddity

Piezo pickups are the hardest thing to get right, more often than not they just highlight all the awful string noise and you get this harsh sound that nobody wants to hear. They're usually bearable in acoustic guitars but this is the only decent bass piezo I've heard.

8. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Yeah that bass in that video sounds fantastic, almost like a real acoustic instrument. You use the piezo to enhance the sound on the bass I posted and its a ibanez ergodyne bass from the 00ties (how do you actually say 2000ties oO ). Those ergodynes are crazy good basses and dirty cheap nowadays because people dont like "plastic" instruments, they dont make them anymore for whatever reason. If you see a ergodyne EDA900 or EDC700 cheap and in good condition buy it, you wont regret it.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  9. Space_Oddity

Did you say . . . plastic basses?

[​IMG]

10. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Must be hard to not get fingerprints all over it :P

11. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Can we stop talking about musical instruments please. I'd much prefer to talk about headphones.

12. Space_Oddity

Less than most gloss finishes. I sold it years ago, it was unsurprisingly heavy.

TALK ABOUT HEADPHONES THEN

13. complete_

complete_ lamer

im learning keyboards

14. Lazybum

Yeah, actually anyone have a good suggestion for good/cheapish earbuds? Preferably in ear ones. I like them when I go around riding a bike or play my ds, but they have a high chance of getting lost/broken. Was using these sony mdrex earbuds, had a decent enough sound but were kinda quiet, which sucks a little when you are riding next to traffic. Mostly good for when I was just doing chores around the house that didn't make much noise.

15. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

16. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Give me an exact budget. A max and an "actual" max. Plus anything else that you consider important regarding the earphones.

17. Paradox

18. Space_Oddity

I recommend Marley stuff if you want affordable. For about £15/$20 you can get a decent sounding set with braided cables (ear buds are a bitch for tangles and the braiding really helped.) I had these for a while and I wouldn't hesitate to get another set if I wanted earbuds again.

[They didn't break or get replaced, I actually just lost them. Shame.]

19. Lazybum

Oh gee, 200 dollars, I sure would be glad to spend that much on something I totally won't end up losing or having it break within the next 6 months, gee whiz. I mean, honestly if I am going to spend that much I would rather just get a better set of headphones.

Not to sure about those marley ones, my experience with braided cords is that every time you move, or rather the cord moves against something like your clothes, you hear this rubbing noise. Never really had much of a problem with tangles either, I usually keep it wrapped around whatever I'm listening to if not in use. A lot of reviews say it gets a loose connection too after a couple of months, which is a bit alarming.

20$ is what I would like to spend, simply because it isn't something that is going to last and I don't really want to spend a whole lot on replacements. 40$ is probably the max though, if there is a significant difference.

As long as it sounds decent, like clean sounding, I think I would be happy. The ones I mentioned sounded clean, but really low volume for some reason which doesn't work for me. If I had to be a bit more specific.... Something that favored highs and mids might be good for me. Though needs some bass, no bass makes a lot of stuff sound bland. I just know at my price range you really can't get something with everything, so you kinda have to get something you end up favoring. (Sound spectrum wise)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  20. Paradox

Theres 2 year warranty on those things :(