Redesigning the Empires art

Discussion in 'Art' started by Redskull, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Redskull

Redskull Member

Yeah that's the plan, I'm going to redo large portions of this model and try to make a couple differeft weapons for it.

2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

while it certainly will look better if weapons are designed for this specific tank, you might want to try creating reuseable ones? if you add the hardpoint to the weapon system instead of the vehicles body, it shouldnt be much more then aligning the corresponding bones in a nice way ...

... theoretically ^^

3. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Also might I ask you, what program you use?

4. Redskull

Redskull Member

Yeah it will definitely be better for gameplay if the weapons look the same on all the vehicles, that way players on the battlefield can identify them easier.
    And as someone pointed out, the cannon barrel needs to be able to pivot up and down, so I made some changes:

standard cannon
    [​IMG]
    HE
    [​IMG]
    Ranged
    [​IMG]

3Ds max.

5. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Feels weird to see a cannon barrel so short, but I'm no expert in cannons so that might just be me.

6. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

The short cannon barrel is a little odd. But it looks good besides that.

7. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Needs to be erect more, too flaccid.

8. Drag0wn

Drag0wn Member

In real life a cannon with a barrel as short as your std cannon would have unspeakably terrible accuracy - longer barrels drastically increase the rifling effect and give a more stable shot (same principle with infantry rifles).

Since Std and HE have the same accuracy and range, they should be the same length, but the fatness you give to the HE cannon is a good effect and allows players to easily differentiate. I really like the shape of your cannons but they could all use being a little longer for realism.

9. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Most tank cannons today actually are smooth bore. Fins on the projectile give it it's spin instead. But still the same effect from the length of the barrel applies to those as well.
    As a stylistic part, you could put a bore evacuator on the more fast firing cannons as well, to differentiate them.

10. Redskull

Redskull Member

Here's a bit of an update, click for large:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. flasche

sexy - the floor clearance looks bit low for a tank though

12. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I kinda want to cry over these. They look so good, but every time I think whether or not they would get in game, whether they would get finished or approved or both, I think....ah, never gonna happen.

13. flasche

why? they even fit the empires art style. you have to consider this is a high poly model. once its low poly and has crap low resolution textures i think its gonna fit nf very well.
    its really only a matter of will it be finished.

14. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

The fit isn't it, though. We've had some good models before, but getting them from the concept phase to the game...I dunno, some things I just won't tease myself with any more. I mean, I spent years looking at the sidewinder :p

15. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

The sidewinder required more code, this doesn't. And if Redskull wants me to help him in texturing them and converting them for source, I'll gladly help.

Concerning the model: I agree that it looks a bit low to the ground, we might have to change that a bit.

On a side note: do you got skype, Redskull? Maybe we could talk about the stuff a bit and get some things done.

Also just to give you an impression of what I am capable of, this is something I am working on right now: http://f1r3w4rr10r.tumblr.com/post/94448605774/wip-2-of-the-slave-collar-found-the-time-to (rest of the tumblr is NSFW, so browse with care)

16. Redskull

Redskull Member

I raised the floor quite a bit, it should be fine now.

Right now it seems what we need is more people just cranking out models, if you're up for it you could start comming up with ideas for Brenodi. If a vehicle is too much, perhaps some more vehicle weapons.

17. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Yeah, I think people get that notion from early german ww2 tanks, long barreled PzKpfw III meant for anti tank, and burly, short barreled PzKpfw IV meant for anti inf.

Whats with the MG having its own firing port though? All the empire mgs seem to be coaxial.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  18. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

The major problem right now is that we need to discuss if we actually want to stick with Empires' slightly comical style, or, like Angry already discussed with me and some others, go for something more realistic and oriented on modern day prototype technology. (See the general design ideas for both factions in the document I linked earlier in the dev forum.)

Don't get me wrong, I like this style as well and I wouldn't mind going for it, but as far as I have been informed it's not mine or yours to ultimately decide on. That falls to Angry, Candles, Beerdude and Trickster.

19. flasche

how is empires art style comical? not even slightly ...
    ... and for gods sake, dont start to produce this shit "art"style that is consider scifi today - though admitable its got a bit better recently, as better computers allow for higher detail models now, its not all just slick surfaces with glowing bullshit anymore.

tl;dr empires art style is quite distinct and unique, dont change it just because you are in the position to - that doesnt mean higher quality models shouldnt be done, or broken shit like nfheavy be remade, but there is null reason for a style change.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  20. Drag0wn

Drag0wn Member

Making new models/textures for Empires is not a loss imo - if you really hate the new style we don't use sv_pure anyway. Hell it'd be really easy to configure a legacy model pack. The only issue is if tanks change dimensions (like if a new NF heavy wasn't really long) and what that would do for hitboxes.

But in general I agree, I like the current styling of the tanks. When I look at this new tank model, I see it with a rough, NF-style metal texture. Having it look polished or smooth would just not be Empires.