HUD concepts

Discussion in 'Art' started by forte2610, Jul 15, 2014.

1. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

as expected. well i guess videogame-art is leaving out the uneccessary without breaking believability. you did good, i think its recognizeable well enough the way you had it before.

also trick, yes, those i found were just 4cm, those are 7, that seems to be the difference. so i guess we both are right (you more then me though and that sucks ^^)

2. Neoony

Neoony Member

I believe the devs want to recode the HUD, unless it was just a joke. Should he even make this for the current old style? or will it be portable?

3. flasche

as far as i understood its getting our new gui?

4. Neoony

Neoony Member

This is what I mean.
    From what I understand forte2610 is making this for the current HUD.
    If this HTML Hud will be released it will not be compatible as Trickster said.

Best would be some cooperation on making this for that new Html based Hud. But I have no idea when is the html one gonna be done.
    Or I guess I just missed that they are already cooperating ?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  5. forte2610

forte2610 Member

What I'm doing is merely a .psd with layers. Theoretically it should be compatible with anything Empires is going to use for the HUD.

6. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

That's my gripe with it, but it's purely personal and you shouldn't take it into consideration.

7. Neoony

Neoony Member

Hmm, but they seem to be talking about some new code for HUD which will be HTML based and as Trickster said this current HUD that is currently in the game will be incompatible, which should make your HUD incompatible as well, unless you are doing it on/for that HTML based one.

Any ETA on the HTML based UI/HUD? Is this gonna be worth it or should it be done after the new UI/HUD is gonna be done? :confused:
    (question to devs)

Iam guessing we all mean the same thing by saying GUI/HUD or UI, right? xD

8. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Neoony, what forte is currently doing is completely independent of the GUI code that is currently in use or the one that will be used.

9. flasche

its a mockup, the tread title even says concept. a screenshot of cyclo with drawhud set to 0. the rest is painted over in photoshop - even the minimap (which shows canyon) - its the exact same image again, theres no way to stage this ingame. even if it makes it sound easy, its still quite some work to make it look good.

10. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

I'll make you one with a good ol vintage wood finish. It will feel just like the 70s.

11. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I'll take all your supply please, wrapped with a red ribbon.

12. Neoony

Neoony Member

Well Iam talking about putting this HUD ingame not about the concepting stage.

I thought this is supposed to be just a replacement of the current stuff in the HUD and also many posts of forte2610 seemed to point on that.
    Just like we had nesquiko HUD.
    (I thought its mostly only graphical change and thought there are easy ways to change some things like ammo display/opacity/location of stuff...never been messing with HUDs that much)

But I guess he is just making templates that can only be put ingame with somebody whos gonna "recode" the HUD? (unless he himself has those skills)
    Is that right?

I guess I get it now xD
    Means its gonna be much longer proccess than I first thought and its exactly what I wanted to suggest in those posts before this, heh.
    Nevermind then.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  13. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

UI are panels that can appear and disappear. HUD is always there. Both are being ported over to HTML-based designs that users can customize themselves. ETA is infinity

14. Neoony

Neoony Member

Its not like that answers any of my questions. Except for the ETA. xD
    But whatever. xD

EDIT: To explain, I was just asking why are other people using words like UI or GUI when talking about HUD, like its the same thing, so thats why that question.

Oh, but since you say that its gonna be customisable, is this topics HUD gonna be needed to be complete to do this HTML based UI/HUD? Or are old templates gonna be used and then he can put this new HUD in?

Just trying to figure out if this new HTML guide is gonna need some graphical support to be fully done, or its just gonna need to be coded.
    And just trying to figure out if you are gonna actually cooperate with the forte2610, or he is just gonna do templates while its still gonna be completely unusable until you make this new HTML UI/HUD. So he might not see his work put in until maybe next year somewhere. (usual 1 year per update thingy)

Or in even another way, do devs expect this topics HUD to be complete before implementing the HMTL UI/HUD?
    Thats pretty much my question. Is this HUD gonna be as default if its gonna be done and if its not gonna be done, is the new HTML HUD gonna be done anyway?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  15. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

What's the problem Neoony? :confused:

I'll try to break it down for you:
    - Forte made some pretty picture concepts for the HUD. A bit like the old concepts but without the expansive elements or improvisations (which would need more? coding support, I expect). It's minimal and immersive and that's about it.

- People use GUI and HUD interchangeably because the HUD is often part of the user interface. It might be quibbling over semantics but although you can't really interface with it directly (as it's an overlay), it does display information graphically, which probably qualifies it.

- Forte's concepts are just that - concepts. Beerdude is working on the most important "non-gameplay" update for the game ever, which is coding all the elements of the GUI and the HUD into something that is accessible - both to the player and to the devs when they want to tweak something.

At the moment, I would probably expect the concepts are doing nothing much more than renewing people's appreciation for the work that Beerdude's doing, and his motivation to do it.

- Once the coding is done, they'll probably look at the GUI design, and whoever is competent at manipulating html will probably try to bring something like forte's design to life. If that's forte, they'll probably work with him...and since it'll be html it might not require a NDA from steam (I guess, maybe?) since it can be coded in html and just ported in by the devs.

Once again, the pictures in this thread are just pictures right now. They're not like Nesquiko's GUI, they are just pictures. You could call this thread part of the design phase as forte is pretty much designing a GUI. That he's not building.

So...that's as much as I know. It might be a bit wrong, but that's the gist of it. Did that answer your question?

16. forte2610

forte2610 Member

That explained things really well. I'm merely a designer, but I'll try to help with making this concept a reality where I can.
    Speaking about the HUD design, I guess it's done now. When the actual thing is being worked on, I'll hand over the necessary art assets, or maybe even help build the real thing if my HTML skill has got better by then. I will now starting working on the tech tree, because it desperately needs a new design.

17. flasche

because HUD and (G)UI are just different world expressions for one and the same thing. technically its a GUI - a graphical user interface - its ingame representation is a HUD - a headup-display. there is no difference, its just a matter of perspective.

interface does not only mean input, its the whole range of communication. your keyboard is as much of an interface as your monitor is. a GUI displays and recieves input, actually all it says is that data is represented graphically and not per line as a CLI (command line interface) or other text based interfaces like norton commander had (or a lot of OS installers and linux tools still have).

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  18. Neoony

Neoony Member

I just wanted to find out if forte2610 isnt making his work for the old GUI that is currently in the game, which would be then recoded into this new HTML GUI and incompatible, but I guess I missed that he is only making a photoshop files that can be after that used for the GUI.

I simply didnt thought that he is accounting for that the GUI will be recoded and didnt thought that he isnt touching ingame files at all.

Had 3 weeks inactivity on the forums, so I guess I fell out of the picture a bit xD
    I didnt even knew that GUI is planned to be recoded until just few posts back in this topic, so it came out a bit weird...
    So I guess he already knew that when he started the first post in this topic? Or beerdude decided to recode the GUI after this started?
    whatever xD

Yes, you answered the questions, thanks :P

HUD and GUI isnt supposed to be the same.
    GUI is supposed to be the whole graphical interface (menus, vehicle creation, research tree, including the HUD, etc..), while HUD is ONLY the indication of statuses and helpers (health bar, minimap, ammo, etc...), its mostly non interactable and only shows.

You could say that HUD is part of GUI. But HUD is much more specific as it pretty much only DISPLAYS.

Vehicle creation, menus, research tree, etc.. isnt the HUD.
    Those are GUI.
    UI is supposed to be everything like mouse, keyboard, monitor, etc... and also the GUI.

GUI includes the whole HUD.
    HUD doesnt include whole GUI.

I guess you got most right, but you just cant say that GUI and HUD is the same thing as HUD means much less things than GUI.

How else would you call the Health, ammo, minimap, etc.. part of the GUI when you would want to be specific? (excluding main menu, options and stuff like that)

Atleast thats my opinion.
    Small details, not that this is any important to the topic, but just saying. xD

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  19. flasche

in the context of the game world something like a gui doesnt exist. in contrast to that, there is no HUD in the real world. anyway, as long as forte makes it look nice, who cares about names ... ;)

20. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

guys, everything here is GUI. GUI means "Graphical User Interface"
    Technically everything on your screen is GUI, otherwise you'd be staring at numbers and letters. Like dwarf fortress.