HUD concepts

Discussion in 'Art' started by forte2610, Jul 15, 2014.

1. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Is the minimap graphs such as A-9 apart of the map or does that depend on the minimap image?

2. complete_

complete_ lamer

its user-defined. its the fucking worst. its god awful

3. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

neither, for each map there is a .txt file in <SteamApps>\common\Empires\empires\resource\maps defining it along with the map description and whatnot ...

4. BigTeef

So requesting to add numerical and alphabetical data on the mini map like, A-2, C-6, or B-2.

Has nothing to do with the hud but it has to do with the map itself.

5. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

I honestly don't really like the idea of segmenting the stamina bar. It kinda suggests that that is a game mechanic that isn't there. (partially regenerating health bar anyone?) It also fixes the stamina bar to a certain amount of stamina to be consistent.

6. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I think it needs segmented so you can get a quicker representation of how much stamina you have in your periphery, it also gives a better representation of how much is used by jumping and such, as well as how fast it's recharging based off what class/upgrades you have. I'm almost tempted to suggest we even try that with HP, though it might be better to leave it as it is (though increasing the length for HP upgrade could be cool) so you can tell the 2 apart without any effort.

7. flasche

i think youll relearn quite fast ...

8. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Yes, it's up to the mapper if he wants it like that.

9. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

That latest one is pretty good. I will say that game time feels like one of the most irrelevant things in empires on commander maps. Having in it center at the top feels off. It should be right next to the minimap, either the top or bottom.

I have to agree about changing the res, tck, wag and veh to icons. Icons are easier to learn I feel and don't require reading, which is good for people who aren't native english speakers.

Seeing the weapon name is kinda neat, your current class too, but it is info you don't really need to know, or rather you already know. If you really want to take trickster's idea to heart to make things tighter.

On the squad part, is that showing how many points a squad member accumulated? That is kinda ok, but we really should see their health and what class they are. Bars work here, but as an engy lead know just how much they health they have is kinda useful I feel, so might be neat to see a number overlay on top of the health bar. Or just keep simple numbers, the only people who care about that are engineers really, they usually have the extra second to look and read.

Honestly when you mentioned redoing the research tree I got super excited. That would really help new commanders and people who jump in the seat during a game. Like, it would really help empires in a significant way. Not saying this hud isn't neat, I bet quite a few people will like it for not obscuring their vision as much and just looking fancy, but man I really want that tree.

10. forte2610

forte2610 Member

I'm going to need a few more suggestions, specifically about where and how to put the team-related information (tickets, vehicles, resources etc. ) and what the icons replacing the labels should look like. This is so far the most difficult problem concerning the HUD and I can't seem to overcome it myself.
    As for the Research Tree, I'm going to take inspiration from these:
    http://www.teamliquid.net/staff/FrozenArbiter/protoss_tech_tree_cropped_Ju.jpg
    http://www.savage2.com/en/images/htt.jpg

Also, I'm thinking about separating the class/weapon selection in to two screens: Class and Loadout; this will allow putting in more detailed information about each class (such as their strengths and weaknesses, on-the-field tactics etc.) as well as their weapons.

11. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I think the default icons get the message across, clock for time, a tank for vehicles, a little person for tickets. Wages and res don't have something I think. For people who play a little res towers gets the idea across for us, or maybe just the res node with little smoke puffs? Actually now that I think about it a simple dollar bill of sorts with a $ on it would make most people understand what res is for. Wages is harder though. Just some coins?? Someone else will probably have a better idea on that.

I think how you had it in the very first picture would work, by changing the words to icons you also free enough space to put everything there, without it going into the center. I mean you could even make it a tad smaller if you want, beyond the commander no one really needs to know that info all the time. So if it takes an extra second for them to look at it it wouldn't really affect anything I think.

Though don't change the size of the commander and what he is researching, people really like to know what is being researched and how long it will take.

I think the savage 2 research tree would work. I like the colored outlines for research type.

12. flasche

honestly, i think the general placement of current gui items is quite good, you dont really need to reinvent the wheel ...

13. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Pretty much this. For resources it depends on what the devs say, but it would be useful to have a decision on whether it's power or credits in nature. Then you could have either a sort of nuclear symbol, similar to the ones we might put on the engines, or a currency symbol. Then again, if people want it to just be resources resources, you could always use like coal, or wood or something. I guess coal looks like both power and resources...eh, whatevs :p

14. BigTeef

I like the research tree we have right now, but I would like to see a little branch from each one so I dont have to unlock each path to see what is under it.

15. forte2610

forte2610 Member

Hey, sorry for being absent for the past few days. I'm kind of busy right now, but I will try to continue the job ASAP.
    Meanwhile, have fun playing Empires, comrades!

16. forte2610

forte2610 Member

Wew, finally got some free time. FINALLY.

Here's something I just put together in like half an hour. Enjoy, and, as usual, give me suggestions. (That dollar sign is a placeholder by the way. "Resources" is a bit generic, so it's hard to figure out something to represent it).

[​IMG]

17. BigTeef

I like it, did you adjust the chatbox so its easier to read?

18. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

You could try a tiny version of this for res: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caduceus :p

It does really look quite nice, though. I find myself (badly) not looking for problems and just looking at it. Seeing how much more immersive the game would probably be without our old big ol' hud.

19. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Seeing as there's a lot of interest for HUDs, I'll see if I can finish up the code for it this week and get some testing DDLs published on the Steam testing branch, that way you can play with it ingame.

20. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Best developer of all time.