What makes a game worth it thread.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by -Mayama-, Aug 8, 2014.

1. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Ok what makes a game worth it, like why you actually play games beside typing buttons on a keyboard. For me, and I have to admit it, its singing karoke "toto africa" while playing, its the breaking boint between what is good and what is bad.

2. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

A game is worth it when I Dont get bored after playing it for longer than 3 hours.

3. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

A game where I can sing and drink at the same time in multiplayer.
    Only Empires does this so far.

4. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

There's actually a lot to be said for this. It makes a big difference.

5. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

We're like the only playerbase that doesn't have a stick up its ass. Every other game either no one has a microphone or you get banned for using it.

6. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

play TF2 :rolleyes:

7. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

A game is worth it when you like it for whatever 100% subjective reason.

There's a reason for spending 6 hours of today mining the rockface in wurm online, achieving fuck all, and being okay with it. It's not logical though.

I eyeball value by game time, with the rough conversion of 1 hour of game time = 1 PLN spent on the game. Anything around that is money well spent for me. Exceptions apply, of course, but it's just a rough estimate afterall.

8. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

Pretty much what Destroyer said.

I spent about 65€ for Battlefield 4 + Premium and I've enjoyed it for over 300 hours so far. Worth the price tag, imo.

9. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

When it is a rewarding challenge. To give examples, empires is full of them when you successfully destroy a base or prevent a rax going down, either with good teamwork or by yourself. For a bad example, when you have to roll dice constantly until you roll a "you win". This doesn't require a lot of technical skill, just patience. Roguelikes and certain rpgs feel guilty of that.
    Or in the opposite direction of trying not to roll a "you lose", Final fantasy can be kinda bad with how you could win a vast majority of fights by spamming the fight button with a heal occasionally, it just takes patience at most, no real skill or even tactics.

I'm will to forgive some of that if characters, story, and especially music are really good.

Or games that do exploration/immersion right. So far stalker is about the only game I really played that successfully captured that, but oblivion kinda got it too.

10. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Or shit like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBlLsLFhS3Q

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  11. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

I don't know how to respond to this...

other than to tell you that you are shit and you need to stop being a burden on your team. /s This part is secret because I think Grant uses the white forum default skin but I can't remember. Screw people who use the white forums.
    :rolleyes:

Also, somebody already mentioned TF2, so I really got nothing.

12. Lazybum

I need to get around to playing that, but I keep saying to myself I'll do that when I play dmc3. Too many games, not enough time.

Edit: :o I just realized I have the forum troll title, when did that happen?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  13. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

30 posts ago

14. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Actually you want to play revengence before the dmc games because of how much harder they are and that game is a good intro into the genre.

15. Lazybum

It was more of a point I have dmc 3 but don't have revengence so I could save some cash while I get around to playing it. Also it wouldn't be my first foray into that type of game, I played and almost beat dmc1, kinda lost my ps2 somewhere at the end and couldn't finish it. :(

16. Space_Oddity

Space_Oddity The Shitstorm

I have to have the ability to shape the game, this goes for single player and multiplayer. I've pretty much lost the ability to play linear games, no matter how good they are.

Most games I start these days I give up on within the hour because I just have so many other games I could be playing.

17. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

The only games I play regularly (when I'm at home in the UK) are Dota and Ace Combat Infinity (PS3).

I occasionally play other games like DayZ, Arma 3, or coops like KF or PD2. But generally speaking, it's just Dota and AC.

18. complete_

complete_ lamer

or you know, empires

19. iMacmatician

iMacmatician Member

The three games I have played the most are (in order): Marble Blast Gold, Minecraft, and Left 4 Dead 2, and I would consider each of them "worth it." The reasons for these games boil down to one point: After I succeed, I have an incentive to play again and do better.

Marble Blast Gold (plus fanmade mods): I first learned about this game when I was 12 and it came preinstalled on my new iBook. It was intuitive, easy to play, and contained simple and colorful graphics that were not overwhelming. Each level had a clearly defined goal: move the marble to collect all gems (if there are any) and make it to the finish (for some levels, within a certain time) without falling off the level. The large number of levels (100) with varying degrees of difficulty meant that I was not turned off the game by a particular level being too hard. The key to playing Marble Blast constantly was the timer in the level. If the game was just "finish the level and move on" then I doubt I would still be playing it after 9 years. But the game would have a timer to the 100th of a second and so I could replay a level over and over again to get lower times. (Also the top times would be recorded.) Thus I could spend hours playing a single level just to lower the final time from, say, 18.50 seconds to 18.35 seconds. Also many levels have a variety of paths and tricks that one can use to complete it, and some of the tricks are quite challenging, so I could fail a level 20 attempts in a row and then make it on the 21st try. At this point it must be said that almost all of the time, when I make a mistake I immediately know exactly what happened (basically, almost nothing is entirely luck or otherwise out of the player's control). Thus this directed feedback allows me to immediately work to improve my skill, not only for the level that I am on at the time, but skill in general for the future. The large number of fanmade custom levels helped me to play the game even more, since playing the same 100 ( + 120 in a mod) levels gets repetitive after a while.

Minecraft: Unlike Marble Blast, in which (in general) one cannot change the level while playing, Minecraft allowed me to play in a large world where I could modify and build as I wanted. The varied terrain encouraged me to explore near and far areas, the presence of ores gave me a reason to dig tunnels and explore myriad caves, and I could build large towers and structures. I would enjoy searching for a tall mountain, finding a vein of diamond, or creating a sky station. Most importantly, I could leave the game, come back later, and everything will be there (so nothing I do is wasted), ready for me to further personalize the world.

Left 4 Dead 2: Since the AI Director customizes the location and quantity of items and Infected spawns, no two games are exactly the same. Without this customization, I would have gotten bored of this game within maybe 20-30 hours (this is why I hardly play Half-Life 2, its episodes, and Portal 1/2 anymore). I don't play much singleplayer anymore mainly because I would restart the map and basically waste 5-10 minutes of gameplay if I die, which is a real possibility on harder difficulties, and Easy/Normal is too, well, easy (for comparison, most levels in Marble Blast that I play are less than 1 minute long, plus in some sense I have less control over what happens in L4D2 than in Marble Blast). I now use console commands to enable singleplayer versus. Since I get control of Special Infected, I respawn after death and so there is no issue with restarting. The scores at the end of each map is kinda the equivalent of the timer in Marble Blast in that I can try to get a low score (there is a lot of score variability between different runs though) and set goals for myself during a map. I have also played Survival mode but not very often because, again, if I mess up before I get a good time then it's ~5 minutes wasted.

20. communism

communism poof

so salty