single lane low pop comm map ...

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by flasche, Jul 25, 2014.

1. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

download link
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/57sjgmcdsbe0ou8/emp_drygulch_a6.zip?dl=0

vmf
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/9fhq6vzaq3dwquf/emp_drygulch_a6_vmf.zip?dl=0

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    the below is horribly outdated a few dozen more hours went into it already.
    just for completeness, this is how it started:

so i did this today - think this could be working out?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

theres still no rocks and tress (no shit as you couldnt see that), a shitload of verts still need pushing (mainly along z though), except for large areas raised to 256 and 128 the floor is still flat (ill leave plenty of build space though), and id like to add some brushwork (ideas anyone?). also no visblocking still (but thats a matter of an hour or so)

12 refs (each +1) so far, ill probably add 2 more, maybe 4. (its mirrored so its only half per team)

map is full scale, but linear so it should be working for smaller populations?!?

suggestions welcome. i also plan to release this als CC-SA-NC, vmf included, once its done (if anyone wants to add something earlier pm me)

(all textures made by silk - hope you dont mind, i suck creating textures <3)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  2. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Too big for small pop, it'll be so-so annoying to run along the path over and over again. And 12 refs is overkill too.

But I like the shape, you could totally make it into a multi-lane map for large populations :p

3. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

I like the map layout.

12 refs seems a little excessive, though I'm not sure how it would actually play. I imagine the idea is to add incentive to pushing forward without hurting the side losing the push too much.

And Destroyer is right, it's a little big so unless there's plenty of res for vehicles (6 refs per team isn't bad, I guess) it will be very boring for low population games.

4. flasche

destroyer thats a really good point. ill kickstart the map with the expansion rax built already - i hate running times aswell.

resources is something i cannot judge really. once the final layout is done (ive added a bit already), well have a look at numbers ;)

5. D.D.D. Destroyer

Awesome.

6. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

Yeah keep the refineries down to a small count or it's going to be the "Build refineries-low pop map" :) 6 max.

Also, does it have anything to counter artillery? And vehicle blocks on the cliffs? (9mine apc to the vf, then 9mine it to the cliff) + Building block aswell.

7. flasche

yeah arty. ill put another layer of cliffs ontop not mirrored as pure scenery, but thats it as far as its my concern. if arty is a problem still its a general problem with arty and chokepoints.
    idk if i should lower the ceiling enough so that you cant shoot from base to base.

ill add clips and shit in the end. what concerns me more is that theres no nice rocks :cry:

as for res (current state)
    [​IMG]
    the central ones are hard to hold as long as the fight is in center. the startref is prebuilt.
    the green circels is where the "kickstart raxes" will be ...
    and black is where there will be higher cliffs (position not accurate)

edit:
    i have no idea how brenodi captured that one ref spot ^^

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  8. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

don't forget on low pops refinery output is soo shit getting a vehicle is hard and a huge map with low ref output = fucking retarded to run around on.

9. flasche

values are my least concern atm

also what am i supposed to do? if i give enough res that you can field the one or the other tank its gonna be ten times money once theres a few players more ...

10. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

im not going to give you a value to work off of. All I am saying is just be aware of the possibility.

[​IMG]

11. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Looks like a great map which will be ruined when someone nominates it on a 40 player server. Either way, nice work, we really do need something like this.

When we finished the McD vs KFC match, the server changed to emp_tutorial. We were surprised at just how playable the map was with multiple players (while being linear). I expect this to work in a similar way.

If there was anything I'd say it really needed, it'd be some terrain variation. Little raised paths or depressed areas (much like emp_downfall) are pretty straight forward but would stop things getting too stalemated. If the centre was depressed then that would make it a lot harder to hold, while the main bases could be raised slightly. Add a few paths that are like BE-rax height at the side of the cliffs, a few dips at the edge which people can hide in (maybe just craters like Canyon/Crossroads) and it should be golden.

Also yeah, I'd cut down to 6 refs or something. I'm not sure I agree with expansion raxes being pre-built though. It'll be difficult to balance things right so that the teams have enough res to get that forward rax down, but avoid encouraging an instant VF drop. A lot of people are saying "omg think of values" but they aren't giving you anything to go on, so I'll try to help here.

6 refs. Forward refs are 5/sec, main base are 2/sec.
    Player multiplier 22. This will stop the res building up too much at higher playercounts which the map will inevitably get played at.
    Starting res 400 -> allows for 2 refs + rax, but the starting res you get combined with a low income rate for the initial refinery means we avoid the instant VF drop.
    Potentially make it difficult to fit a rax in the central chokepoint so that teams don't try instantly dropping a rax there and losing it, causing pretty much an instant loss.

12. flasche

ill see what i can do. also ill add infantry only areas along the sides (like on the image below) and plenty of cover. you know i favor infantry. ill try to avoid emp_stalemate-esk tree clusters though, no worries.

also ill called it a day for today :D

here have some tanks standing around for better size comparison. also nothing is final ...
    [​IMG]

13. D.D.D. Destroyer

Oh my God this map is gargantuan.

Either that or I'm so out of loop already.

14. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

No, it's definitely huge. I mean, jeez.

This actually wouldn't be so bad as a 40 player map if it was kept at 12 refs - not like we get 40 player games that often.

15. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

The spaces are really wide it actually looks like it's meant to support 40 players. Every time I look back at the screenshot it looks even huger.

16. Trickster

Yeah, those chokes are about double the size I was expecting.

17. flasche

well you need room to maneuver don't you? what fun is tank combat if there isnt enough room to turn? its really smaller if you drive one of that tanks.

yet you have only one lane so it should be well playable with fewer players.

18. 101010

101010 Member

People tend to like green ( grassy ) maps more.

19. Trickster

It could work, and might even scale better as a result. I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out. Don't change the size, stick with it and see how it goes.

20. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

This looks nice, very simple.

Though it reminds me of slaughtered and that map that is forever broken, do we need like one big choke point?
    I was thinking somthing like this.
    [​IMG]

Like remove the walls where the white is, so its not one giant area of tanks humping each other.