Kolntus Tenth Infantry Company

Discussion in 'Clans' started by FN198, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

3. Spend at least 200 hours.

2. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

0. read the manual.

That's all you need to do.

3. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

The manual don't tell you squat about how to do anything.

It doesn't teach you how to do many important things, including:
    • squad targeting ammo boxes
    • having boats
    • the art of winning games with your CV underwater
    • voting for money every time it is an option
    • and many more!

4. 101010

101010 Member

I learned by sitting in spec for a few rounds. First class I played was engineer. Empires terms was a little confusing also learning the difference between an APC and a AFV. Other then that it was pretty simple. Took about 3 rounds before I was middle of the score board. Some people seem to need more help getting started. For people like that CW and MEG peeps helped a lot. We need more groups like them to help rebuild the population.

5. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

I boated your boat.

6. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

This is exactly why I want the manual to teach me about having boats.

7. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Maybe if you want to become super proficient(or at least average) in all parts of the game and know all the tactics. Which again is true for all games. Honestly planetside or battlefield can feel more tricky to learn, if you actually bother to learn how to fly and drive tanks. Shooty stuff is super simple though. Point and shoot.

"Requesting boat support"

8. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

I learned the fps aspect by myself, I had Meliron teach me to be a decent com, and asked Reznov to teach me how to be competitive.

The game isn't hard to learn if you have patience.

9. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Perhaps you read it wrong, but 200 hours of experience isn't even remotely close

Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
  10. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

And who doesn't enjoy to invest some patience into a computer game!

11. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

You don't need boats, you just need to drive extra extra fast and you can clear any body of water. At least that's what I tell myself every time I come up to any body of water and think it's "just the size" to get through.

12. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

If that is your thinking, why did you bother playing to begin with and remain here?

13. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

I came for the game, i stayed for the wonderful people.

14. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Don't only like 10% of people read the manual? I think that might even be a generous figure. Of course for me the game took a few hours to download, so I read it, and it did help a lot even back then.

But I pretty much jumped into the time where almost everyone was a vet. As an engy you can weather most storms by running about, reviving people, keeping ammo going, a couple walls up and making sure things get built. That will usually get you to the middle of the scoreboard, but that doesn't exactly mean you know the game. You know how to support. But what takes longer is knowing the little foibles of Empires, and this game is full of them. There's a particular way that works for a lot of things.

There's also usually a dynamic that people don't get. They learn the FPS version of the game, but they often don't know how to read the map or lead. I still have problems with vets and so-called vets who get all excited about taking an area that they lose everything else on the map - drawing the rest of their team with their excited cries that they can do this!

Never trade down.

It's still a lesson people are learning years later. They allow their old bases to die, simply because they're wrapped up in what they're doing. Now it's great to be a point and attacking, but you don't draw everyone off every other front, and allow APC's through in order to do it.

Simple tactics take a lot of learning. But also things like "how do I change class", "how do I upgrade my turret", "what does a camera do?", "how do I spawn a vehicle", "how do I customise said vehicle", "why can't I see that guy? (scout)", "how do I see that guy? (enhanced sense)", "how do I defuse?", "how do I drive over mines?", "why can't my tank move?", "why can't my tank shoot?", "how do I use the mortar? (crouch to fire)", "do mines work against people?", "why doesn't the RPG damage buildings?", "why doesn't my small arms fire hurt vehicles?", "how do I destroy enemy vehicles?", "how do I get more resources?", "how do I earn squad points?", "what's the point in a squad?", "how do I earn wages? and how much do I earn?", "what are wages used for?"

And many others.

We've all had help with some of those from time to time. Some are better now with tooltips and some better descriptions of weapons and things. But what often happens is you'd have a few newbies playing together and discovering each thing new, which happens much more slowly, then they'd have to deal with a vet who comes on and uses every trick in the book to outflank them. They're suddenly dealing with a different beast entirely.

This is why teaching people is important. It doesn't matter who does it, really, and the old clans did it to an extent - in most cases by smacking you with it until you learned. But back then we had a dynamic, JPL would square off against BSID and even the odds, and if they needed you to know something they would tell you how to do it.

But now a lot of people are in the phase where if they know some tricks they're still rubbing it in other's faces. But that's not how you grow the player base, and it needs growing right now.

15. Lazybum

I guess it was because I played natural selection before, or even rts games, but I don't think I ever had any of those questions. I guess that is why people have to ask them? They come from CS or something, where most of it never comes into play.

Still, we may have a bit of trouble keeping new people, but I think it is a case we really don't have enough pr for it. New people are fine playing with other new people or vets, they just don't want to play empty servers and you need a larger regular play group for that. I mean who wants to stick around for a game where it looks like there is only 6 people on during most of the week? This happens to all mods too.

Point is, even if all the vets magically became supportive it doesn't mean the pop will suddenly grow large. No one really knows about empires, at least people we want to attract.

16. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

I'm assuming your jesting, but that's actually true for me.

There aren't many games where almost everybody talks in chat or over mic the entire game. The only game that ever came close in my experience was early TF2. Not to mention most of the people that have actively played the game over the last two years have a much smaller capacity for douche-baggery than most of the forum-goers.

17. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Yea, source or it didnt happen.
    The dudes who kept playing over the "nothing happens" period and actually post seem to be more on the "actual jerk" side, with exeptions obiously. The worst is when you have people who joined around 2009 who get to act large and in charge now. Sure, lots of people who play dont seem like jerks, but thats because they just dont talk alot.

18. 101010

101010 Member

That's how I found out we no longer had Turbo :|
    So no turbo = we need boats

19. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

I found it hilarious that a lot of "new vets" are so shit at this game, but they are still yelling at newbs for every single mismove.
    No wonder this game is so popular.

20. Lazybum

Still wondering who these people are that complain about stuff. I don't really notice it, it is just a couple of people tend to get real angry when the game goes south for them. Which is true for anything.