Targets...wtf?

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by Ikalx, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Why do people still scream for targets?

I can understand sometimes it's necessary, but at its base this game is a FPS, and if you need a target to see an infantryman you're just plain bad. Die like you should.

Also targets are often pretty misleading, as often you'll pinpoint a specific unit, and there'll be two units waiting in ambush. Targets as a feature still need a big reform.

2. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, that is the reason I don't give out targets sometimes. It will end up with them getting shot because they looked at the wrong direction. I don't quite understand why anyone wants targets in a real big fight, there is people everywhere, shoot them.

That said, I think a lot of the people who scream for targets are people who want every edge so they can push harder and farther, thus securing the location.

Though, if I or anyone asks for targets in a base it is because there is countless places to hide and targets just make it easier. Enhanced senses work, but there is a whole bunch of reasons as to why you wouldn't want to switch classes.

3. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

I would love to see an Empires match where there's a camera effect over the entire map for both teams - if only to see if it's really worth having all of this trouble with targets and other bullshit.

I suspect it really wouldn't play that differently from a normal match.

4. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

we had that when we first removed targets. The radius of detection was 5 barracks back to back. You could no longer sneak around.

5. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

But that's for putting icons on the minimap, not camera wallhacks, correct?

Maybe I'm a peasant, but I find camera wallhacks about a million times more useful than enhanced senses-style minimap shit. I won't weep a single fucking tear for that damn minimap.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  6. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

I yell targets mainly to piss my commander off.
    I'm such a pleasant player to have on yourteam.

7. Metruption

Metruption Member

Wow what a dick, you should get kicked out of KFC. I hear that's what they do to dicks over there.

8. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

but that's even worse. It was bad enough that it was on the minimap, it'd be downright terrible if it was on your screen.

9. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Regular players should already be awared of the fact that the given target is definitely not the only target around the area.

Your job, as the comm, is to pick the most important target out of the clusterfuck, which requires some field experience.
    You have the view of a wallhack satellite after all.

As for newbs, they'd...oh wait, do newbs scream for targets too?

10. Herbie

Herbie Junior Member

Yea, like security is saying you should always pick the target that is most relevant to the players you have selected. Whenever that enemy runs away or a new one sneaks up you need to change who you're targeting.

If you manage targeting correctly, know which enemies should be targeted at all times, then targets definitely give a huge upper hand.

Away from the front lines, targets are much more useful however.
    Attacking and defending bases against hidden infantry is key to saving and destroying structures.

Simply put, they give you an upper hand, why would players not ask for them? It's the same reason you always ask engineers to place cameras. If your opponent has targets and you don't, you are at a disadvantage.

So you're saying that I'm bad if I can't see guys that are hiding behind walls, in forests, on high platforms or within buildings? It doesn't make sense, like your saying that only bad players benefit from wall hacks.

It's a feature of the game, a tool that you can use to gain an edge. By not using it you are purposely putting yourself at a disadvantage against the opposing team who are using it.

The feature itself can be debated, but the act of using it cannot. New players do not ask for targets, experienced vets ask for targets and for good reason. As a comm, I prefer players to ask when they see targets being necessary, rather that constantly looking around the map to give targets which usually aren't.

11. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

We had that for 2 versions. That's the only time I have ever outright refused to play Empires. It was fucking disgusting. It might have just been the minimap but it was just fucking wrong.

Can't really say it better than this. Targets can be the difference between your team taking a location or losing it if given out correctly, along with realtime info of what you can see from above. If you choose to hold back that flow of information because it's too much micro for you, or because you feel they shouldn't need it, then that's your decision as a commander. If I'm commanding, I try to give my team every opportunity to progress, and as such, I will religiously give targets and provide a stream of information to help them accomplish their objectives. It's not a matter of whether they should need it or not, whether they should be in the game or not. They are in the game, and they're an edge that you should fully make use of if you want to win.

12. Lazybum

I feel like I should say a few more things. In larger pop games the commander has spare players to build bases and such. This is not the case in low pop games. 1 thing I can rightfully say is that in lower pop games the commander has fewer opportunities to give out targets because of how much more stuff they have to do, so if I am denying you targets it is because I really need to be doing something else at that point of time.

In larger pop games I do give out more targets because I have more time to do it because I am simply in commander view more often.

13. Metruption

Metruption Member

I don't give out targets because every time I do my commander attack order button changes, my computer is haunted and I'm considering an LBRP to get rid of the spirits.

14. Paradox

You dont give targets cause you are just a massively shitty player/commander.

15. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

My point isn't whether targets are a useful tool, my question is why do people still scream for them? Ask for them, for sure, but if you're in a situation where there's an enemy infantryman don't try to blame your commander because you couldn't out play that person.

At its core, this game is a FPS. If people are talking about infantry targets being given a few seconds too late, then sorry, it's just them that doesn't make the cut. You can't always blame things on the commander like that.

In my mind, an important target is one on a vehicle, on a hidden building or on an infantryman outside of the area you would expect them. I sure as heck don't want my engy going halfway across the map to be caught out by one guy at the other end, but equally, if you're in a zone where there should be enemies around, use your eyes, jeez.

I had one dude go totally apeshit at a relatively new commander yesterday over this, and it's just not acceptable. It's not the commanders job to be your eyes, despite what you may think. Commanders give intel, overviews and help, but their help is a privilege, not a right.

Fed up of this "blame the comm" attitude. Blame the commander when they're experienced and completely failing at their job, NOT when they're getting to grips with the game and doing fairly well. It's a vet's job to support them at that point, not be the person who curses them out in front of the whole team.

16. Lazybum

Ah, well you see, for these people winning is everything. Everything. If they aren't winning they are losing, and they just can't be having with that.

17. Paradox

You just didnt command well that one game. Its okay to be bad commander.

18. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

That's not me, dude. I command badly all the time, too, so that's doubly not me, lol.

19. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Was his name Just Go Fly?

20. Metruption

Metruption Member

When I'm comm and JGF starts telling me what to do I ask him if he wants the cv, then when he says no I boomtank a bunch and be a less suicidal version of hobbes. Then he yells at me to stop trying to grief, and I tell him that it's the command vehicle, not command building. Having such a centralized view of how to play the game is so <NTIWANG3Y (antiwangey)