Shooter in Moncton, New Brunswick at Large

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Grantrithor, Jun 5, 2014.

1. complete_

complete_ lamer

omg flasche hes fucking captured.

also firewarrior the only countries that are funny to mix up are ireland and scotland

2. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

If you're trying to take a jab at the states, Japan - a country of skinny people, superior-to-american(but not german) engineering, and almost the lowest in homicide rates - also has the death penalty.

But no Canada doesn't have the death penalty, instead we have the absurdity of life sentences which can go from a minimum of 7 years(before requesting for parole) to infinity. I personally don't see a point in keeping a killer on food and water for an infinite amount of years.

3. complete_

complete_ lamer

cause people are never wrongly convicted amirite

4. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

5. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

oops - i blame the vast amounts of water inbetween here and there :D

6. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

I was referring to the US, despite knowing that it happened in Canada for the sole reason, that I assumed Grant was American.

7. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Now, what im going to say is shit on context, as I've just skimmed over this whole debackle and have no idea on japans death row statistics, but there is a diffrence in having a death penalty law and actually using it.
    Not a big fan of it no, but just saying.

As far for the whole we need to pay for this shit vs. just get this over with: Im not a fan of keeping criminals and/or crazed people on societies payroll, but im even less okay with state/people being able to decide to kill someone like that. I couldn't just casually and consciously kill someone like that myself either.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  8. Candles

More importantly, if you want to throw morals out of the equation because they're complicated as fuck, it can cost over five times as much to give the death penalty than it can to imprison someone for life. People need to keep in mind that there's more to the justice system then being innocent, going prison and getting death. A person who goes to prison is far less likely to appeal a case than a person on death row, so the cases for them are a lot cheaper. Less money spent on lawyers, judges, bailors, jurers, guards, transportation, damn near everything. The only way the death penalty could be more economic is if we removed the right for people on death row to appeal their sentence, and God knows that isn't going to fly.

9. Z100000M

I sure hope you're correct in saying that.

10. Candles

11. Z100000M

Candles,(I know, citation needed, but this crops up sp much im willing to believe its correct) USA is a country that throws dollars at questionable things while neglecting something ridiculously vital like proper education. I wouldnt count on money to be a big issue.

~~
    Aaaaand now I've realised you though i was reffering to your whole post, where i wanted to refer to the last sentence only. Moving on.

12. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

I hate discussing this with people. They always say shit like, "but if you KNEW he was guilty, can't you just hang him?" /headdesk

13. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

*ahem* that's a hard thing to argue, because it can be made up that the evidence was made up that everyone knew they were guilty. It is true that it is certain someone is guilty if they shoot up a mall in broad daylight and are caught right there. Like you can't deny that the shooter was in fact shooting and killing people, and there were multiple eye witnesses, and the person with the gun was taken down.

But that is a slippery slope, so slippery physicist use it for frictionless experiments.

There are still concerns with infinite life sentences, such as the criminal escaping prison.

14. Candles

But see, a guilty act requires both a guilty mind and a guilty body. Actus reus is relatively easy to prove in a case such as that, but a prosecutor still needs to prove mens rea, and that's where you start having to deal with appeals and people can claim miscarriage of justice. The common saying is that possession is 9/10ths of the law, but more accurately, it's 9/10ths of civil law. Intent is 9/10ths of criminal law, and in the United States can mean the difference between 100 hours of community service and the death penalty.