So I installed witcher 2

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by -Mayama-, Apr 21, 2014.

1. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

That is the worst combat system I ever experienced in an action rpg, no in any game ever. Seriously why do people think that its good and even compare it to dark souls? Its not hard it sucks. Its unresponsive, random, luck based, no indicators for nothing and hitboxes seem to be completly wacky. Either a fight is laughable easy on any difficulty and you can stunlock, dodge, dodge through the encounter or you need to abuse gimmicks to progress.

Anyone that compares this to dark souls combat system is fucking lobotomized.

edit: Also basing the combat on preperation and at the same time throwing the player into unexpected fights is completly retarded. For a AAA title their seems to be not much quality control going on.

rant over

edit2: Ok I have another one, placing the quick time event on the bottom of the screen does not actually help, especially if its freaking small. Did no one in that whole development team think about how big that thing is on a 1920 x 1080 screen??? Oh and yeah giving that icon the same or almost the same color as the enviroment was also a clever way to rise the difficulty.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  2. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

play dota 2 feghit, get your mmr to 4k so we can play together

3. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

You can safely ignore what you learn in the Witcher 2 combat tutorial.

4. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Witcher one was better imo, but 2 looks better. I have yet to pass 2 though, so I'm a little biased.

5. Sitka

Sitka Member

Why would you ever expect that

Fuck now i got reminded of Rome 2, too.
    Also RIP elderscrolls armor/combat/mostthingsreally variety unless a miracle happens in ESVI

6. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Lol, you complain about that, but w2 at launch had so many problems ist was beyond retarded. The stamina bar? You had to spend it as well to make a block. One hit for one bar. Overall the difficulty was kinda over the top.
    Quite fucking hard, but the difficulty gets managable once you unlock multihits. Act1 witcher bossfight is harder than most of dark souls bosses though.
    From what I've heard, they didnt fix the skill imbalance, potions are still shit.

7. D.D.D. Destroyer

Dude the first boss in W1 was relatively easy, you just needed to prepare accordingly. I busted at least 4 elixirs into me before the fight and got that sucker in two or three attempts on hard.

(After dying oh so many time on th eeasier difficulties)

8. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

While I agree that the variety was really great in elderscrolls, might and magic: Dark Messiah had the best magic/fight system(for first person action). Everything was satisfying to use in that game.

I do remember liking witcher 2, but didn't get very far. I do agree, it isn't quite the same as dark souls, but I feel rather ehh about dark souls combat. I kinda liked how you couldn't really heal in the middle of a fight in witcher, made things... well important I guess the word I am looking for. Disregarding if the fight was easy or hard, at least you couldn't eat/drink a pot and jump right back into a fight.

9. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

I died like 10 times alone to the freaking hit box of the tentacles that are a million times wider than the freaking thing is.

10. Z100000M

Im talking about letho you dumbass.
    Where did you get the vibe that i was talking about w1? I though the "w2" thingy sort of made it obvious which game im reffering to.

11. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Except for the fact that it's from the Might and Magic legacy... well actually, I didn't actually mind not having an in-depth RPG, what I did mind is they threw away the script-writers at like the second act, and then everything kinda devolved storywise. There were some cool hints like the badguy dancing with the girl on the boat, but eventually they just went "oh, some spider has her...save y/n?" WHAT?

I'm a little annoyed because it had a good story behind that. Just a few more things and it would have been much more satisfying. But you're right about combat. I didn't like the skill tree too much, but damn, using the ice bow on the catacombs with those hard crawly guys...I almost cacked myself laughed at them slipping over the cliff - to run back up again! Rofl!

And I love those poison daggers. They didn't do much damage, but the model was seriously sweet and awesome. You could put that into almost any game and I'd play it...shame CS:S only had the shadowsteel models :(

12. D.D.D. Destroyer

The 1 digit just outright juked me. I didn't even get to the end of act 1 in Witcher 2, I fucking hate the jungly forest.

13. Z100000M

forest? Its like 6 trees.

14. D.D.D. Destroyer

My gripe is the overgrowth, this insane amount of nature is making me uneasy.

15. Z100000M

.... are you a dendrophobiac?
    lel?

16. D.D.D. Destroyer

I think I'm more of a qualityphile, I always have shitty performance in jungles and I never bothered to improve it. But jungles aren't really that pleasant for me to begin with. More tame forests of any kind are completely cool though.

17. PredatoR[HUN]

PredatoR[HUN] Member

Do they still use the shitty combat system from the first game? I didn't even finish the game because it was so dull and I really tried to enjoy it because I heard good things about the game.

18. D.D.D. Destroyer

Nope it's completely different. You have more control over the character in Witcher 2.

19. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I don't know why I can't get into Witcher 1, but I really can't. Guess I only just got into the first city, though, so it should get better from there.

I honestly don't like the combat much, though. And the way you use magic - i.e. the sketchy registering of when you hit the key, irritates me. In some ways it really feels like Kotor combat but without the autopause, or the bar above your head showing the action.

20. PredatoR[HUN]

PredatoR[HUN] Member

Yeah I stopped playing somewhere in the first city, I did a lot of quests but it felt way too repetitive and got really boring.

Despite having so many "styles" of combat it felt very restrictive.