Consistent shotgun

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Neo Daedalus, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Neo Daedalus

Neo Daedalus Member

I had an idea last time when testing out the shotgun more. When me and candles tested the shotgun (it was a small test about damage), its damage was quite satisfying, what we didn't test though, was how much damage it would do, if it hit limbs. I've played around with it quite a bit, and we even did a shotgun-only round on district a couple of weeks back. What I've noticed and what's probably the cause for people either saying the shotgun is overpowered/underpowered is its inconsistent damage. Sometimes you hit someone at close-range (yet not point blank) and you would insta-gib them and sometimes they'd walk away with 70 hp.

So I came up with a simple solution (that will require testing and balancing): Make it ignore limbs (at least arms). This way, the damage is consistent, while the actual damage is based off of the distance, becouse of the spread. So, even when shot from the side, if at a very close range, the damage will still be sufficient to one-hit-ko a person, while at range, well who really gives a damn, you picked the shotgun to kill people at close-range.

Alternative solution: If ignoring parts of the hitbox is impossible (maybe hardcoded?), the damage could simply be adjusted to 100% per limbs and the damage or even spread should properly adjusted.

As I've said before, the numbers would have to be adjusted if either of the options would be implemented, but at least this way adjusting the numbers would directly adjust the weapon's actal damage.

Also, Candles, I've been going by the name of "Dogma".

2. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Iirc Trickster was going to raise the limb damage to 100 or even more percent.

3. Neo Daedalus

Neo Daedalus Member

That's awesome, I really hope he does at least try it.

Dunno why more percent, tho :D I know that a shotgun might actually tear a limb off, but it won't actually kill you, at least, not at that moment.

4. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

I know I've bitched that the spread should be increased, but that's probably a better way of doing it. That way you don't accidentally kill two people at once.

5. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Yeah I'm going to raise limb damage from 70% from 100%. Limbs used to take 100% a few versions ago on every weapon but I dropped it to 70% on every weapon. Likewise, most weapons used to do 200% damage for a headshot but most of that got lowered. A few weapons still do 180% but most are between 140% and 160%. When I say a few versions ago, that's probably like over a year ago to be honest.

6. Neo Daedalus

Neo Daedalus Member

Hmm, might as well move this topic under implemeted then.

7. Sitka

Sitka Member

oi pleb mode activated

also buckshot to body armor i dont fucking think so

if your aim isn't complete shit you can still get instakills and even if you don't you get another try

My only problem is how there seems to be a delay between pulling the trigger and actually firing. Not only that, but the sound begins to play the instant you pull the trigger, it's only the buckshot that has a delay.
    This means sometimes someone will get killed a fraction of a second after pulling the trigger and it will play some, almost all or all of the firing sound, but you didn't do any damage at all.