New Game Type?

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Broccoli, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Aurora

Aurora Radiating love, empathy and maternal instincts

Agreed, I never got past the fourth ice planet level. The computer does everything at maximum speed and has perfect coordination. Hmm, maybe I should make a map of that style myself... Using the swamp theme. What do you think?

2. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes

3. Aurora

I planned 4 different route plans:
    http://img206.imageshack.us/my.php?image=layoutsbb7.jpg

Now I just need to find the best one (or have new one made), and then I need that turned into an actual layout with details, as the route plans above don't actually represent the shape of the maps at all, nor do they mark where there is a cliff, a pond, a steep, a downhill, a destroyable bridge, a narrow ledge, etc.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm enthusiastic of adding those aforementioned features.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2007
  4. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

first off, make a new post if you plan on going through with this.

the left side routes look best imo, the top one looks way complicated, and might be a lil harder to pull off, but much more fun to play.
    ill totally help you out on this ,a swamp map will own. and when Epi 2 comes out, foilage will be best.

5. Aurora

[​IMG]

What do you think of that? Feel free to fully edit, I'd be interested to see other peoples' ideas.

6. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Looks like a nice layout, but this should really be in its own thread.

7. Aurora

8. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Oh it's no problem, I just thought it'd get more attention if it had it's own thread. I'm glad somebody else wants to use this idea!

9. Destroyer224

Destroyer224 Member

This could turn out to be something like NS and combat. A new flavor to an already fun game.

10. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

That might not be such a good thing. I've heard more than one person attribute Natural Selection's decrease in popularity (I don't exactly want to call it a downfall) to Combat. It brought in a much different audience.

11. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

but NS had already lost quite some popularity even before 3.0. People always have something to bitch about. I kind of liked combat, fast paced and it did require some lonewolf strategy. The real killer for me were the mods that were made for combat.

12. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

I could bitch about that game all day, and still enjoy it. it's good, but not great...

13. Destroyer224

Destroyer224 Member

Empires is good but not great... yet...

On a side note: it has become my sacred duty to revive this thread when it begins to die until it finnally makes it into either 1.08 or the next version.

I don't think combat really made the playerbase decline for NS, people don't HAVE to play it if they don't want. It seems that NS has finally gotten tiring for some people and they are taking a break from it.

14. cpugeek

cpugeek Member

Ok, i just played a little solo on this map for the first time. Here are my thoughts:

Whats good:

-New gametype. Looks very fun, can't wait to play this with more peeps.

-Flag structures. This is an example of good gameplay design. Incredibly good idea.

-Map size. Frankly, i think this map is sized perfectly. Everything is where it should be and nothing seems too close or too far.

-Hills. I think they're well made and aren't too high or short.

What needs work:

-Its empty. I'm sure you'll be hearing this one quite a bit. From the looks of it right now, turrets are king in this map. Even just one lvl 3 ml turret built on top of a flag structure will be a pain in the ass. I suggest adding some more rocks in strategic locations that could be used as cover. Also, some wooded patches would be great for infantry.

-Its a little bland. Though, this might be because my video card sucks :-P

-Lacks focus. I know this map is supposed to be very open-ended strategically. In this sense, it works. But on a smaller scale, a tactical scale if you will, its too open. The middle is great. Now make the other points as good as that. When a player approaches a point, he should ask himself, "how can i take full advantage of the environment?" Right now, theres not much environment to speak of, so turrets (for the most part, actually) and tanks are the only ways to go.

-Rename points. I'm sorry, but one letter looks kinda lazy and half-assed on your part. At least name them "central point" or "north point"

Otherwise, its a great map that i'd love to see included in future versions.

15. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Maybe have a sprite hover above each point if its captured, a blue X for BE control, and a red O for NF control.

16. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Umm, that's what the minimap is for? lol

But I would agree about the openness. Maybe some more rocks and ruins would help, but if you want cover, you can always build it yourself!

Renaming the points wouldn't be a problem, I just find it faster to read compass points than full descriptions. If other people want this though, I can change it quite easily.

17. KILLX

KILLX Banned

I know that, but it would ad to the tic tac toe aspect

18. cpugeek

cpugeek Member

Oh, yeah, one more thing. I think you should rename it before you officially release it. Somehow, i fail to see krenzo adding "emp_tictactoe" to the official map lineup :-P

19. KILLX

KILLX Banned

All Tic-Tac-Toe haters must die.
    Would you care to rephrase that sir?
    *brandishes his tofu cannon

Note: the tofu cannon fires 10 tons of tofu at Mach 2

20. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

lols at killx. I agree with cpugeek about the name, I've just never had a better suggestion.