emp_concept

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by flasche, Apr 11, 2014.

1. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

hmm i noticed i never properly released this (abomination of a) map - i know it was on viper once, no clue what happend then. i just reminded myself when talking about mapping with silk.

wasnt sure if i should release it or not, but then its a playable map and theres equally shitty looking maps around, so its up to you to decide. i think it wont play out so bad, i tried to consider things like arty and nukes (at least for start bases), but ofc you cant be sure.

i wont improve this any further, if theres too much resource you can easily fix with a <mapname>.cfg
    since i found the vmf, i can change minor stuff, i just wont remake it into a "real" map.

i tested it in 2.5RCwhatever, it technically is working.

please note that if you use emp_sv_base_swap, you probably will have a completely different map since the income is inverse to distance to the enemy. means, the closer you are the more you get out of a ref. think its 1-2-3-4-andsoon, but im not sure about exact values, its like 3years old and as said before i dont have the vmf anymore.
    its not, the income is 3 for start ref and -0.5 per ref as you come close to center. the closest ref to center is at 1res, this totals to 10res per side (3 + 2.5 + 2 + 1.5 + 1 = 10). i knew there was something special about income. so basically, the further away a ref from start to center the less important it is.

its prefectly symetric (as if you couldnt tell on first sight). a square is exactly half a wall and you can wall yourself up 2 squares - this should be handy in center and at the one way expansion location.
    i think due to it basically only is a single lane it should work quite well for small player counts even if its a "full-grid" map.

obligatory screenshot and minimap (notice how old the SS is?):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

can do whatever you want with it, decompile, claim its yours, ignore it, bitch about it. you dont have to name me or anything, but ofc id be thankful if you do (except for bitching ofc).
    i really think you should give it a try though, looks aside.

fixed version dls
    map:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/331067/emp_concept_2014/emp_concept_2014.7z
    vmf:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/331067/emp_concept_2014/emp_concept_2014_vmf.7z

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  2. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

I'm sorry flasche it's a nice concept but I think I will just leave it right here next to rainbow road just because of how it looks.
    Would be nice if someone remade this map properly.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  3. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

My first thought: Is this func_detailed properly?
    Hammer has taken it's toll on me.

4. flasche

no reason to be sorry, i really dont care. but unlike rainbowroad its no (real) gimmick map. you cant push stuff of the sides down some artificial abyss or jump over ramps, just classic empires gameplay.

haha ... uhm, maybe? but given how large the "details" are i wonder if it would actually help performance much. its a full hdr compile though, so there is vis blocking, its all brushes.

edit:
    btw i made this just to proof a point i never could proof because making a nice looking map that takes several month just to show that classic empires would be great with linear maps keeping people together, enforcing what mechanics alone dont mange, just to have people disagree, is a tiny bit over the top.

5. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

You know what my first thought about it was? Brenodi combat simulation. Would be neat if you could touch the art up a bit in that direction. Honestly it wouldn't even need much.

6. flasche

i have no vmf anymore, but feel free to change textures/materials - it should actually be quite easy, the ground, the walls, the top of the walls, all different textures found in materials/flasche. just the normalmap (for the white lines) is reused.

7. flasche

ha! a flasche never throws data away. i found the vmfs in a file called 4sip.7z, seems like sip wanted the map for whatever reason ...

so if someone wants it, feel free to use it - im done with mapping, at least with full maps. i cant stand displacements, they push my patience too much. also looks like it contains a very basic version made out of displacements (its called push, no pun intended - probably). from a quick look they are aligned in a way so you could select the whole map and press subdivide without it creating errors, but i warn you it probably takes more then an hour where hammer looks like it would have crashed (those of you used subdivide might know what i mean)
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/331067/emp_concept.7z

also i lied, its 5 years old, not 3 - and dz theres no func_details (except maybe for the ref spots but i didnt check tbh) ^^

8. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

I think it looks nice the way it is. We need variety.

9. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

10. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I have an early version of this. The map worked but the skybox was broken.

Also, wasn't this a POC of emp_stalemate?

11. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

12. flasche

well i just unpacked into more or less clean install of empries and i have a skybox. with and without HDR, so if the issue still exists it has to be something with the res file, right?

buuuut, i just tested if it really has skyboxes in both modes and while starting it with hdr (forgot i turned it off) i noticed you cannot play it in the current state unless you want to be blind ^^

ill try recompile, if it works right away, ill upload a new pack.

also no, this wasnt the concept for stalemate - stalemate should be way newer* - but ever since i had this idea of a linear map i wanted to do one, so there certainly are similarities ...

edit:
    well looks like its compiling ...

edit 2:
    *concept is from 2009, stalemate from 2011

edit 3:
    lol it did a full hdr compile while i added that its compling - man think about how awesome this would have been when i still was enthusiastic about mapping ^^

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  13. flasche

download link(s) updated with a hdr version which wont leave you blind (sry beerdude)

it contains everything it needs to work, if theres something wrong it has to be something with the res file ...

14. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

If it's on Dropbox, it's going to be removed in a week. I guarantee it.

15. flasche

nah, plenty of space left ...
    [​IMG]

... infact dropbox is where i found the vmf from 2009 ;)

16. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

If any file gets too much traffic on dropbox they suspend it for a period of time.

17. flasche

do you really think this will generate that much clicks? hehe thanks :D

btw a lot of the images i post are on dropbox aswell, does that mean only i see them bc of cache? picture threads probably generate a lot more loads.
    just out of interest and its my thread so i am allowed to derail it :p

edit:
    why ask if i can just look at their tos. the limit is 20 and 200gb per link per day depending on if you pay or not.

18. FN198

FN198 Member

Looks like much needed replacement of bootybay.

19. flasche

oh right, bootybay is a completely linear map - actually never thought of this. never played it much. maybe for a reason?

its way narrower though, no rushing by in jeeps ...

... you could probably even play this squad on squad. maybe it even is the best size for it, idk, try?
    its also intended to be low on resources as long as you dont get to the other side of center. no clue how it will work with how many players.

20. FN198

FN198 Member

I'm pretty sure bootybay is narrower by merit of the walls in middle. Stalemate would work fine with any amount of players, but expect more grenades to be flying as the teams get bigger.