Allow squad revive of disconnected individuals

Discussion in 'Implemented' started by complete_, Apr 6, 2014.

1. complete_

complete_ lamer

Right now the problem is that when a person disconnects (such as a crash) for any reason and then rejoins, he is unable to be squad revived because his class is not registered until he has spawned.
    This isn't a problem when you have tickets because you can just spawn.
    However, if you have no tickets you won't be able to spawn and thus your class wont be chosen and you can't be squad revived during a vital part of the game for something that is entirely out of your control.

Solutions:
    Have class be confirmed when you choose accept in class menu, and not when you spawn.
    OR
    Remember class chosen when disconnected like points and other stuff currently is remembered

2. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

How do you tell the difference between a crash and someone disconnecting their internet?

3. complete_

complete_ lamer

im not asking for a free spawn. im asking for the ability to be squad revived. you should be allowed to revive someone who disconnects their internet, unless you have some weird problem with that

4. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Another point kind of related to this, it'd be helpful if someone could always regain their slot on a team even if it would make things unbalanced, if they disconnected in like the last 10 minutes or something. Predator was stuck unable to rejoin his team today to take the Comm back.

5. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

This sounds pretty fair, at the very least for commanders this is crucial

6. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

I understand. Yeah, that seems like a reasonable request.

Unfortunately, I suspect there some technical magic that would be involved. Sometimes it's the simple requests that aren't so simple. Of course, I hope I'm wrong.

7. Empty

Empty Member

Why can't we just make it so if you haven't got a loadout selected, when you hit accept, it overrides your loadout from that null state, and then you can get revived as normal.

Then late joiners after 0 tickets can get squad revved too

8. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

The amazing intellect of zoom for the rescue!
    Remove the ? class. Everyone is an engy by default. If you reconnect you are revived as an engy and free to get back to the armory/rax and respec.

Up up and away, to the next simple as all fuck task that nobody else can solve!!!

9. complete_

complete_ lamer

bump. how many good suggestions do you think get ignored due to bad timing?

10. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

I cannot even begin to imagine the number.

11. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

The simple improvements are oftentimes the hardest. If they were easy, they'd be done sooner.

The game doesn't set your class until you actually spawn, because if it sets it before you spawn, then you'd be able to change your class and get revived as a new class.

Removing the unassigned class and making engineer the default doesn't actually help because that doesn't set what the player's weapons will be, nor their skills. Unassigned is important because the game doesn't have a "default" loadout. I can manually code in what weapons they should spawn with and what, if any, skills should be set as default, but I really don't want to hardcode the actual weapon codes in because that's the poorest of practices. If I just set the class, then the problem appears again if they change to a different team. Changing teams sets their class to unassigned and removes all their weapons so you don't get like a BE player with the NFAR.

So, due to all of that, it seems the best way would be to allow a player's loadout to be set if their class is unassigned.

Which is done. It took half an hour to find the code to change and five seconds to add "|| m_iEmpClass == CLASS_UNASSIGNED" to the check.

Ehhhhh... I'm a bit iffy on this one because of the ability to easily unbalance teams, but it's in. This'll take further testing.