Map overhaul poll

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Silk, Mar 9, 2014.

?

Which map would you prefer getting an overhaul?

Poll closed Mar 30, 2014.
  1. canyon

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. duststorm

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  3. isle

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  4. mvalley

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  5. slaughtered

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Minimap is buggy as fuck at the moment. Coincidentally, the only maps that it's consistently bugged on are your maps, Chain and Bush. Might be related to the random starting mains.

2. Silk

Silk Mapper

Those are just templates though. And ingame buildings get placed and destroyed as well, so there shouldn't be any difference.

One thing is different though, both of those maps have a spare cv that gets removed after the correct one spawns on the correct base location. But I wouldn't know why the minimap would have a problem with that. Surely the code just checks for emp stuff and displays what it finds.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  3. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

Do you move the Commander, do you create him with a point_template, do you do anything with the commander entitiy? Have you named the commander entity?

4. Silk

Silk Mapper

Edited my post without seeing your reply
    So yeah check my previous post, one cv of each team has to be there at mapspawn (so the map doesn't end immediately) and will be removed once the correct cv spawns from a template. This has always been though, for many years by now.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  5. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

why does it end immediately, you dont need a comm? all you need is enabled spawns and tickets.

6. Silk

Silk Mapper

vaguely remember trying that in the past, but since i'm not sure i'll try again tomorrow

7. Empty

Empty Member

I can do weather, but there's some restrictions:

Heavy weather of any kind is usually too expensive, to make it look best you need to shorten the fog distance (which changes gameplay) so keep that in mind.

Your map shouldn't have indoor areas bigger than a VF or barracks, because if they're too big problems start happening with weather indoors, there are some workarounds but for it to look best it has to be outdoors.

Any kind of weather is possible, rain, duststorm, snow, all doable, but trickster is a faggot and I'm not going to devote like 10 hours to perfecting a rain particle again if he's just going to veto (seriously fuck you trickster)

8. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

Instead of removing it, just use a point_teleport to teleport it to the correct place? Will fix the minimap bug.

9. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

I miss the rain map. :(

10. complete_

complete_ lamer

maybe now that canyon is sunny, i can make eastborough rainy :) (of course you would have to tell me what to do as my 700 hours in hammer are no indication of my talent)

11. Silk

Silk Mapper

I think I fixed the minimap, it had indeed to do with the cv. Will be recompiling bush with this fix as well.

Talking about duststorm which is all outdoor, would lazybum's idea be possible with the limitations you mentioned? There wouldn't have to be particles everywhere like with fog or rain, just bursts of wind taking sand with them low to the ground. Would be awesome if we could sync it with subtle wind sounds.

12. Empty

Empty Member

That's possible and easy to do.

The way I previously did it was a particle spawner on a 60second timer, but the timer is arbitrary, it could be 5 seconds I just need to make the particle shorter, you can tie sound effects in to that spawner and it'll sync up fine.

Dust on the ground might be tricky, but I have some ideas, I reckon it's doable, I don't think it'll look as good as those videos, but I'm sure I can get something decent.

That kind of wispy trail effect is pretty hard to make, but I think I can get close.

13. Empty

Empty Member

I need to go over the effect again and make some tweaks (there's some dumb shit in there in hindsight that needs to go)

Eastborough might be tricky due to indoor areas but if we work together I think I might be able to get it working. Feel free to hit me up on steam, I think I've got you on my list, if not: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Empty_Shadow/

Entity hookup is really simple, just set up a timer attached to a particle spawner, the only *real* issue is because of how the particle manifest works (it's a text file that tells the engine what particles to precache, if they aren't in the file they don't get loaded) means custom maps are a bit of a pain to set up, I think in source 2013 it's possible to do it map by map but I might need to research a little bit. Or is eastborough official? I can't remember.

14. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

If you want an alternative to sunshine on your map try snow, atleast that's not so fucking depressing as rain.

15. Empty

Empty Member

I don't get why all of you QQ so much about rain, rain is great, it's not like I want rain on every single map.

16. Silk

Silk Mapper

Just the fact that there's natural movement around you will make the map feel waaaay more alive and real. I'm guessing it doesn't have to look anything as good as in that video.

Still want to try implementing tumbleweeds as well (all I need is a tumbleweed model), but in order for them to stay in the map I had set the wind direction to change at random intervals. On average they would remain more or less close to their starting location. The random roll direction would make it look weird if tumbleweeds would move in one direction and the dust wind in another.

Perhaps I can set a teleport at the map edge that filters for the tumbleweeds and has them teleport from one edge to the opposing edge so i can have constant wind direction.

17. Empty

Empty Member

I can probably do tumbleweeds as a particle actually but someone needs to get a good sprite for me.

18. Silk

Silk Mapper

Oh I love you Empty
    As far a sprite, would it be enough if i take a good looking image, set everything that isn't the tumbleweed to be transparant? Or what would be required. I have no idea how sprites and particles go together

19. Empty

Empty Member

Yeah basically that's what I'd need, in vtf format, there's tools for it online. I don't have photoshop nor any of my old tools because I recently got a new install of windows for my shiny new SSD.

20. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

not so easy finding good tumbleweed i was looking for images already since i wanted to make them modeled.