GUINEA PIGS WANTED for testing a console command

Discussion in 'Community Requests' started by Beerdude26, Apr 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

The console command mat_queue_mode defines how many cores the material system uses. mat_queue_mode -2 is the legacy value, -1 is auto, 0 is off, 1 is queued mode 1 thread, 2 is queued mode many threads.

It reportedly increases FPS by a lot, but this command was unstable in 2007, but appears stable from TF2 onwards, and other 2013 mods appear to be experiencing no crashes.

We need some people to test out the command and report their average FPS when using it with the value it was on by default (could be 2 already, no idea) and when using mat_queue_mode 2. Please report back in this thread.

2. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Not sure if it varies by server, but it was -1 on EPIC. Didn't get to check my fps very much since it was district.

3. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Unless this requires restarting the game, then it did nothing. It might not update dynamically though.

4. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

go to config.cfg and set it to 2? its defaulting to -1 ... i noticed multithreading in options though, it was enabled by default and i have much better framerates then i used to have. might be a different cause though, who knows ...

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  5. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

My i7 might also not make for good testing conditions.

6. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

It's literally PERFECT testing. You can set it to one thread, watch it choke and then set it to right and be like "aw yiss".

Some of the test of us won't be able to notice as large if a difference even if it's working.

7. Silk

Silk Mapper

I tested on chain but I see no difference. I'm assuming for me the auto setting picks the same thing.
    That said, did you do other things to improve fps? Nowhere in Chain did I get less than 200fps, and the map optimization isn't even fully active in my current compile. I'm guessing the final compile, from the playable areas (not commander view), will never go below 250 fps. It used to drop to 120 in some areas before.

8. 101010

101010 Member

My AMD 250u will not make for good testing conditions. For the opposite reasons. :(

9. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

OK, after some persuasion to get my fps to even dip:
    I got 75 FPS with mat_queue_mode -1 and 50 FPS with it set to 0.
    I couldn't find a performance difference between -1, 1 and 2.
    This console command is set to -1 if multi-core rendering is set to enabled in the options and I think 0 if set to disabled.
    Multicore rendering seems to be enabled by default so I guess nothing needs to be done here.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.