Commander Recon Drone

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Reznov, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Reznov

Reznov Member

I think almost everyone knows how you can die in comm view and have your corpse appear in mid-air, right?

Well if you kill yourself over the enemy base or any specific spot you want to have a look at, you have a wonderful view of what the enemy is doing right now and you didn't even have to send someone to recon.

2. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

I thought this was a "we know it but don't do it because it's lame as hell to do it"? Doing it brings you to the special hell, the same hell were people who research arty on money go to.

3. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Dota 2 aka tryhard place?

4. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

To be fair, I have used the comm vehicle to drop corpses next to engineers in the enemy main so they can be revived. Airdropping people in so we can suddenly get an entire squad there. It's pretty lame and should probably be fixed.

5. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Was that not fixed awhile ago trickster? (The commander suicide revive)

6. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

uhm didnt candles say he fixed that?

7. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Well given I just did it in a game with Harryhoot yesterday, I don't think so.

8. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Yeah you did that to me once. Die in fire!

9. complete_

complete_ lamer

how about we fix that for commander and then we add in a quick building or vehicle that does it, and voila, aircraft.
    3.0 here we come

10. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Swear to god I fixed that like half a year ago. Let me check the code again.

EDIT:

FUCKING
    OVERLOADED
    VIRTUAL
    FUNCTIONS

Fixed.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  11. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

It was an overloading issue? Does the function have like 10 different variants of itself?

12. Candles

It was that the CBasePlayer:CommitSuicide function has two versions. One takes two bools, the other takes two bools and a force vector. The CEmpPlayer::CommitSuicide function didn't take any parameters, so it wasn't overriding the CBasePlayer version. The Empires CommitSuicide function previously only called the base CommitSuicide function and then set a bool that represents if someone suicided or not to 1 so that if an engineer revived them, they wouldn't get a point for it. The reason it wasn't noticed before is that the game does a check later on to see if the cause of a person's death was themself, and sets the same bool if it was.

All I did was did a check to see if the person suiciding is the commander in the Empires CommitSuicide function. If they are, then it also sets the flag that gets set if you do emp_force_kill, so they can't get revived. This was a compromise between fixing the exploit but allowing comms to still do that skydiving thing at the end of a round.

13. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Having virtual functions that would NOT be overloaded would be more of a problem.

14. Candles

Yeah, that was the problem. Because the parameter's didn't match, the parent virtual function wasn't getting overloaded.

15. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Dz, spamming jeeps and ugl and abusing turbo to get to unintended places is cheap as hell as well and people do that. What makes you think they wouldnt abuse that method as well?

16. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

Because most people doesn't do it? And people sure as hell were mad as hell when people used mediums with scout speed on cyclopean. Just because it's broke in the game doesn't mean people accept it.

17. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

My last round of cyclopean ended with a bunch of grens on top of the hill near NF main and a stunned and artied JGF.

18. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

I dont know about your perception, but a couple months back, when empires had 20+ games on weekdays due to pugs reviving it a little, every assshole and his mother either used lololol grenjeep or UGL spam. Any round of cyclo or slaugh were broken becuase spike used turbo jeeps to exploit. It became so obnoxious i quit the game because it plainly stopped being fun.

Also fuck trickster for not making jeeps die on a succefull mortar hit, without giving any explanation.