General WIP Models

Discussion in 'Art' started by f1r3w4rr10r, Mar 17, 2014.

1. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Alright, I didn't want to clutter other threads where this stuff doesn't belong.

I left another project, so I got even more time to do stuff for myself and Empires now.

This is what I did this afternoon:

First I made a basic model for NF crates.
    [​IMG]

Then I made another concept for BE crates, where I don't really know where I want to go with it yet.
    [​IMG]

And then the promised idea for a BE shotty.
    [​IMG]
    The idea with it is, that the magazine is like a replaceable tube magazine. Close to the one the Deus Ex. Human Revolution shotgun had.
    The magazine is the whole lower part with the creases in it.

2. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

You might want to hold off on making a shotgun until possibly Trickster says something. We already have a shotgun in the works, and it'd be a shame if there were two of them and one of them went to waste.

3. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

We have 2 working shotgun models with animations, they just need a few small issues fixing up. But basically, I wouldn't bother with any weapon models at all currently, we have those bases covered.

Crates and stuff are always good though.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  4. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Well give me a list of what you need. Currently I am working blind. ;P

5. Candles

As far as the core aspects of Empires are concerned, we're decently well off right now. Mappers tend to want things done though, last time I heard, rocks were really in demand. I'd say talk to them for work.

We might consider redoing the NF CV model at some point in the future, but I wouldn't set any goals around doing that.

6. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Doesn't the nf cv just need to be a bit lower so it can't be turreted?

I thought there was several complaints about the nf rax too, just because it is so easy to kill it from a distance, not to mention seen. Though I can understand if you didn't want to change something that has been a part of empires for years.

I do like the nf crate, the little passcode thing is a neat touch.

7. Candles

We definitely want to redo some of the models in the future, but as it stands we don't have anything organized as far as that's concerned. The NF CV and barracks more likely than not end up in that list.

People can go ahead and make whatever they want. I'm just letting them know that they shouldn't make anything with the assumption that it'll get into the actual game before they've consulted with us, just because I'd hate to see someone spend lots of time on something and then feel let down because we don't intend to add it to the game.

I will put it out there that the only thing that really would be nice is a proper worldmodel for the mortar; I know most people have gotten used to it and don't realize it anymore, but the mortar and the RPG have the same world model. The problem with that is how should the player hold it, how should they reload it, how would they run with it, how to hold it when crouching. They're simple questions, but everytime I try to think about how reloading or carrying the mortar in first person translates to a third-person view, my head explodes.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  8. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

Erm, the NF did get a rework. It's just the texture that needs to be redone and then you can add the new model to the game.

9. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

There is an possibly easy band-aid solution the the NF cv turret issue. Set turret placement code to not allow building under the com exactly like the wall code does now.

10. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

lol wall code

11. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

You could make more player NF models so all of them don't look the same.
    What I like about BE is that all the models look different depending on class.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  12. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Alright I don't need any suggestions anymore. Beerdude just told my what to work on. I won't tell you yet, since I don't know if I am free to do so.

Also I could use some help setting up the Source SDK correctly for Empires. Someone hit me up on Steam or Skype please.

13. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

No just 1 model is different, not all.

14. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i started redoing the turning mechanism and ended up with redoing the whole thing. next target is the base.
    [​IMG]
    it also still lacks more detail - and obviously missiles - im at 15.5k tris atm, but most can be removed after textures.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  15. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

That's some pretty nice detail on there. But the arm looks way too fragile for that massive launcher.

16. flasche

17. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Yeah, that's a lot better.

18. flasche

can a mapper somehow transform a bone or can you only play animatons? because you could have a rig set up where you move a single bone to target the turret ...
    and if you can get bone locations, i could add positions for launching missiles to shoot down dropships aswell ...

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  19. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

You can't target bones, but you can parent (glue) stuff in front of the turret that will rotate when the turret rotates (a func_rotating, func_tanktrain, func_door_rotate, prop_dynamic + animations, etc).

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  20. flasche

you mean to split up the model and parent it to entities in hammer then animate them there? interesting ... and counter intuitive, sounds like it could be working :D