Passenger spinning

Discussion in 'Under Consideration' started by BigTeef, Feb 26, 2014.

1. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

An old thing that drives me up walls to no end.
    My suggestion is to fix that.

You know where you get a guy in like the 2nd seat of an apc and when you move the turret the guy spins making it hard for him to hit anything.
    This applying to any vech with a turret seat.

Is this somthing that can be fixed?
    If so.

Candles
    pls

2. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

You spin because you're inside the turret, which is also spinning.

It may be a scripted thing. I know you can do some interesting things in the chassis scripts.

3. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

I'll look into it when I have the chance. It actually could be a fairly easy fix, if I can just have the rotation of the turret not update the angles of the player.

4. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

What about that thing where people put a mg turret on top of the tank and the mg keeps facing the direction it was before.

I know there is some kind of rotary stand thats its own thing inside tanks that keeps turret gunners the same direction reguardless where the turret is facing.

Imagine a gren in every vechicle turret.

5. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I don't recall exactly but I think it's either declared in the scripts or in the .qc when you compile the model. But basically, the player has to be tied to something, which means instead you tie him to the actual body of the tank, rather than the turret. That's the way I always imagined it being instead (you might still turn with the body of the tank but that turns a lot less than the turret), but I remember someone telling me it wouldn't work out like that. I don't really see why not but I kinda took it at face value that that was the case.

6. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

It's really of question of if there's a way to parent the player to the vehicle so that the player's position is updated, but not his angles. Eschewing that, something like taking the player's final angles and then subtracting the rotation of the turret could also work.

7. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I thought we had it changed at one point, but the lovely thing that was happening with that is the turret would move and the gren would fire at the lid and explode themselves :p

8. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Heh, I remember that. I preferred it that way, though.

9. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

The worst thing is to throw a sticky grenade.

10. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

That's right, there was the bug that if you fumbled your nade on the lid, and then transferred into the vehicle to avoid getting exploded, the nade would damage the vehicle instead, lol.

Ah, Empires :|ove:

11. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

mp_friendlyfire 1 should be default

12. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

So... why is the tank lid solid? Does it protect you from enemy fire from behind?

13. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

It does.

14. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Yes. Not like that comes into play often but hey. IIRC it may even be rocketproof, as in it doesnt count towards vehicle damage. ( I remember someone calling shenanigans about that one, never seen it myself).

15. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

Wouldn't parenting the player to the tank body only work if the axis of the rotation of the turrets was dead central to the turret seat?

I would imagine if the turret seat was offset to the axis of rotation then changing the parenting would cause the player to not line up with the turret seat when it rotates.
    I can't think of any vehicles where this is the case though.

16. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

That was a problem, and I think it occured in the BE Medium, though I could be wrong. It only needs to be very slightly out for it to cause a problem though.

17. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Is parenting to other objects in the code always on all 3 transformations at once? What I mean is this: Can't you just simply apply the translation to the player model and view, but keep the rotation as is?

18. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

that only works if the origin is aligned to the rotation axis of the turret. usually hatches are not centered, not sure about empires atm?

19. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

No I mean, can't you just take the translation from the turret seat, but disable it taking the rotation? It is already happening as is, just not separate. Look at the turrets on tanks in BF 3 and 4. On the tanks where the turret is not attached in the center, your view in the turret basically moves around on a circle when the tank turret turn, but it's own rotation is not affected.
    Same thing goes with Empires tanks last time I looked.

20. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

it would still be odd. if you just rotate the parent of the players camera origin but dont fix up the camera afterwards you will look at a different spot unless its in infinity - its exactly what is wrong with empires hatches, theyd need a clean up pass after turret rotation has been applied. its not only rotation which matters but also depth if you want stable rotation, you need to know what the player was looking at before you rotate him.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014