emp_nuclear

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by D.D.D. Destroyer, Jan 3, 2014.

1. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

It would be nice if there was a mapper entity that allowed mappers to place txt in the chat box... ohh wait there is one isn't there? Does it do allchat or team chat?

2. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

There are no audio files to support that. And text, as I said, is not elegant. I'll definitely put a line of text at the bottom of the briefing about it, and probably an on-screen text in some corner about "ALL RADARS BORKED GJ U GET TIX"

3. ViroMan

Make your own audio file or have someone do a little voice work? Its not that hard and people might actually volunteer to have themselves immortalized in a small way.

Ehh enough. Looking back at my posts it looks like I am badgering you. Its not the intent just trying to help.

4. D.D.D. Destroyer

Oh no please keep throwing suggestions at me. It's nice to have those. Problem with having someone's voice is they need a high-quality microphone for that. Plus, I don't really know how to make that work. Maybe play the audio at round start somehow. Or when the Abandoned Camp is captured.

Yeah that's better. First time NF gets Abandoned Camp, they'd get a voice cue about radars.

Still needs a volunteer with smooth silky voice.

5. ViroMan

que trickster? lmao!

6. D.D.D. Destroyer

I'd actually really like Trickster doing a Russian accent for nuclear, but I don't think I can convince him.

7. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

You can already do that with a point_clientcommand.

8. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

If you want a russian accent why dont you just ask reznov?

9. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Yeah, Reznov is pretty much perfect.

10. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Why wouldn't you just take LordDz's voice? He made the empires tutorial videos with his sexy voice, I bet he could make objective voice sexy.

11. D.D.D. Destroyer

Reznov's microphone is subpar, but Dz would definitely fit.

12. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

what direction are we taking? provide me some picdurrs please.

in the meanwhile i did this
    [​IMG]

and to prove its not completely nuts, the above is just a plane, 4 verts, 2 tris. the below are several thousand polies (go bevel tool). it has normal maps and shit, the texture itself has null shadows, i baked AO for it, dunno i dont think source can have that but i can blend it with photoshop for our needs. its just a quick test to verify myself, the handles could use some geometry maybe, the final result will tell.
    [​IMG]
    diffuse ambient normal

also its all absurdly high gfx settings and texture bakes (4096*1024) but ill tinker with this if its time, im off modeling again, waiting for directions.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  13. D.D.D. Destroyer

This is absolutely and totally awesome. To be honest, I can't quite picture what I want myself, but this hits very close to home - can you also do a version with a big button on the desk in front of all the controls? That way I'd put a couple of those together in that room to fill it up with quality content.

14. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Looks pretty cool but it doesn't feel very empiresy. But maybe that's just me being way too used to everything being blue in empires and people still using combine consoles in maps.

15. Silk

Silk Mapper

That's a problem for me as well. Often when I design something for a map it doesn't seem to fit in Empires, but then when I try to find something that does, I never seem to know what artstyle Empires actually has.

Plus I'm not an artist, so I'm not even sure what "artstyle" actually means. I mean, no two things in my life look similar, and if everything did that would just make things boring so I need diversity. Yet in a videogame you immediately notice if something doesn't fit ... somehow

16. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i assume it will once it has 512x512 textures applied :P

for me empires is ww2, early cold war era.

what side are the consoles for. actually i dont even know how the map looks like, this was inspired by a minuteman 2 launch console.

17. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Needs more brown or blue. Green and white don't exist in Empires.

It's really a texture thing. Empires objects tend to be fairly rough and dirty looking, with the textures being scratched up and the colors being fairly low in value and saturation, to put it in HSV terms.

18. D.D.D. Destroyer

It's a fancy BE-base console for their launch control room, so I guess more steel/gray/silver would work better.

19. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

I lul'ed.

It's gonna look sick once green becomes navy and white becomes silver/gray. Nice work.

20. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Yeah I noticed it looked really cold war style, and you'd probably have intel computers sitting near it, but the green just doesn't fit with empires. And you lie I've played with you on this map many times.