emp_nuclear

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by D.D.D. Destroyer, Jan 3, 2014.

1. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Reworking OP to be more up to date

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  2. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

I think this map is impressive.

It had that wonderful early-canyon infantry feel, but it kept it the entire round.

Vehicles always felt like a compliment, not a requirement (which is how the entire game should be, if you ask me). Infantry have to actively protect the vehicles.

The layout is confusing, but strangely good. It has a great mix of close quarters hallway-fighting and open cross-room/cross-field fighting intertwined together.

There's no bullshit of taking down NF's VF (hobbes will be sad). There are no bullshit multiple-player flag-capture requirements. There is less arbitrary Empires-y bullshit in general.

The only large problem is that vehicle-wasting noobs are especially painful for NF. However, I feel like the reduced reliance on vehicles might mitigate this issue somewhat.

I also think that the APC-garage mechanic will be confusing to noobs. It's fucking awesome for the rest of us, but I can definitely see noobs being unable to figure it out.

Overall, this is just what Empires needs. It plays a lot smarter than district, but requires a similar number of players.

3. D.D.D. Destroyer

I am aware that the garage will cause confusion among newbies and vets alike, but such is the nature of objectives. Everyone is so used to the "same old, same old" stuff in the map briefing that unless nuclear happens to be one of your first maps AND you like reading English, you'll be utterly confused as to why the last flag won't work. All we can hope for is that people realize that flag names try to convey something and that people who know about the mechanic will share the knowledge.

Also, restricting stuff like Plasma should help mitigate the problem of completely wasted vehicles.

4. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Are we going to get pics or a minimap layout?

5. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Yeah this, I don't even know what you guys are talking about. Makes me feel left out.:(

6. D.D.D. Destroyer

Pictures? There are only placeholder textures everywhere and the combined amount of decals and displacements is exactly zero. Not much to show here.

And the minimap is kind of tiny, but I guess I should have included it. Oh, well, I can't do it from the phone.

tldr play more scrubs

7. Empty

Empty Member

dont make threads about a map unless you have some actual content to post.

pretty obvious

8. D.D.D. Destroyer

Double post to inform you that I updated the OP. Please re-read it, it actually has content.

9. D.D.D. Destroyer

Sorry for actual DP but I got bullied into hosting a listen server, will be up for at least one round. connect 83.31.67.135:27015 in the console to join.

10. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

It was two rounds and both were excellent.

11. D.D.D. Destroyer

I can't deny that, but you guys really, really, really need to learn how to RPG-snipe turrets :p

Also I put HE cannon back in, without it nobody would ever roll out a medium.

12. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I was busy on the ground so I never even got a chance to look at what there was for vehicles. Also is there even a good reason to push a medium on that map? For the amount of cover there is it is very easy to close in on a tank when they are past the gate. Not to mention an apc doesn't really have to go that far get into the garage, I don't think there is much of a point for a medium to defend it either.

Just a question because I didn't have a chance to see, but does nf only get resources when they have the first bunker? Just want to know because once they have an apc in the garage it doesn't seem like there is much point in capturing it back for BE. Also I don't know if it was said but once nf lost the first bunker the spawn point would still be on it, but you would spawn in the forest camp. Otherwise I didn't see any problems.

The map was really fun and I do hope to see it on normal map rotation.

13. D.D.D. Destroyer

First bunker gives NF resources. Camp spawns are bugged and I need to fix those. More games need to be played to determine balance.

14. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

I don't see why is that a bad thing.

15. D.D.D. Destroyer

Given the res flow you won't see many anyways.

16. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

Destroyer - nice job, obviously a lot of thought went into this map. I thought for sure NF would never get out of base, but in fact NF seems to have no problem getting their three APC's into the slots. I played both sides and spawning far from the garage adds some seconds before BE can get back into the melee. This may be fair, as it forces need for revive engies.

Now it just needs some debugging into why it causes a crash. Vicki removed it from Viper until this is resolved. Maybe there is someone online to help you debug why that happens.

17. D.D.D. Destroyer

Something really odd is really wrong and I can't be arsed (+ left the .vmf at home) to fix this, so it will be broken for a good while. Also I fixed the spawn bug for BE, so they now can spawn in that second bunker. This may be a terrible idea.

18. D.D.D. Destroyer

My current changelist, after a couple rounds:

1) Replace sideways walls with brushes
    2) Add EXIT decals
    3) Rework garage exit
    4) Dragon's teeth at the front
    5) Rotate BE boxes at their forward spawn
    6) Add crates at main barracks
    7) Add BE crates at forward bunker
    8) Replace the trees with logs
    9) Increase BE tickets to 125 (150?)

I want some opinions on most of them.

1): Those NF walls that are buildable at the northern edge of the base. That's gonna change because as HaschteWas pointed out, noobs will get funny thoughts.
    2): Straightforward. Decals to make navigation easier, because it's so hard to find your way out of BE barracks :pathetic:
    3): So that NF doesn't have a shorter way back to the front and increase the pressure after a single garage capture. What I want to do is to have NF drop on top of their forward bunker spawn, or possibly make them go underground and emerge inside the spawn room. Thoughts pleeease
    4): Again to slow NF offense even more - they can't shove an APC into an unsecured garage. Thoughts pleeease
    5): They face the wall, no questions.
    6): Someone was complaining that they couldn't stock up from inside, but on the other hand, you have flags to refill. Thoughts pleeease
    7): I'm not sure if supplies are needed there, but there's not enough BE presence in there at any time during the game, and that might help with that. Thoughts pleeease
    8): Different model that is wider and thus easier for NF to walk on. No questions.
    9): The game ends too soon with a 5v5 when BE doesn't revive - at around 700 tickets for NF, they have nothing left, and that's too soon. Thoughts pleeease

19. Xellos

Xellos Member

3. Fail to understand the heck you mean exactly.

4. Make the Garage door out of several pieces? Like cutting the top part off from the bottom so there are is a door on both sides of the garage door and the unsecure garage is closed down by the rest of the gate. When its decapped it pulls up and when NF captures it the two smal doors and the main garage gate closes.

6&7: Where?

9: Increased ticket limit also maybe adding a few more turrets to the inside of the base? Like ML turret into the garages or an MG.

20. D.D.D. Destroyer

3. Make the way from inside the garage, up the ladder and back around to the front door longer - gives BE an advantage.
    4. Keep the door intact but add another "door" at the bottom that is basically a few concrete poles that block vehicles. It would get lowered once NF captures the garage.
    6. The first spawn for BE. The closest ammo box currently is in the closest bunker. I didn't think you needed supplies next to your flags but newbies might not know about the instant restocks.
    7. The bunker with the flag, not sure where I'd put those boxes though. Maybe in between those racks that line up along the ramp or in NF's spawn room.
    9. A couple lvl1 MGs and higher level MLs might be a good idea.