Fix For MountAppFilesystem() failed

Discussion in 'Support' started by vipervicki, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

The Steampipe - Source 2007 incompatibility prevents any new devs from working on the Empires source code, because we can't run the game from Visual Studio anymore, which means we can't step through our code anymore, which means we would have to do some really fucking annoying debugging workarounds to even check if our functionality works. Existing bugs would be downright impossible to fix, because we could only guess what's going wrong. This is what prompted us to do the port to 2013. Even if we make the entire game available, porting to 2013 will still have to happen.

2. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Insert a simple value(per function) that increments every couple of lines and a global enum that keeps track of what function was running and also using try() & catch() a bit more? OHH NO! I guess it would be a bit of work adding all that crap in... ohh wait! There are debug libraries that do that sort of crap for you. :|ove: well that will help fix the crashes and what not... not the weird math that goes on in empires.

3. Beerdude26

Yes, please complain a bit more from your comfy couch. I don't see you fucking delving in the guts of a horrible engine framework.

4. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

See before people make ridiculous suggestions and saying xyz would be better/easier than the current idea of doing a straight port, atleast have a bit of knowledge in what the straight port involves compared to waht your suggestion involves.

I've read through most of this thread and see no reasoning behind 'why' people suggestions are an easier to implement port than what is currently planned. I can also safely say (keeping in mind im not a coder) that they are completely insane.

Porting to another engine or creating it into a garrys mod gamemode simply can / will not happen. For many reasons.

Am I the only person that thinks the coders time would be better spent actually working on the port than reading and replying to useless suggestions?

5. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

We need a PR person on the dev team, and not *****.

6. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Candles... why cant we(by that I mean U since your the code dev) just import some code from HLLib.dll source code to implement VPK usage in empires? Is there something other then doing research/work that prevents this?

7. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Outta curiosity, when you port over to 2013 engine will there be any new fancy stuff? I know orange box was able to help a lot of mods with problems they were having, I wonder if 2013 might do something similar.

I know there shouldn't be any expectations that when the update happens will see anything new, I'm just wondering if new options will open up that were previously impossible.(aircraft is not expected of course.)

8. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

This is an interesting post and I would be interested to see what beerdude or candles have to say about it.

There was a thread in general discussion about porting the game to linux (and steambox) and mac but the conclusion was we would need to be on the source 2013 engine to really do this. So (and dont take my word for it), I really hope this is a possibility that will be available now. It might even make it worthwhile to get a steambox :D

9. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I don't really have much to add because Beerdude, Candles and Wealthysoup have all covered pretty much all the bases, but I'll just make it really straight forward.

We've spent 2 months trying to fix this launch bug, which I genuinely believe has essentially killed Empires player counts right now. The game has never been this dead. It's not through lack of interest, nor is it through any issue within the game. It really is this simple: the game does not start.

Over the past 2 months, both Candles and Beerdude have probably spent in excess of 100 hours trying absolutely every single solution possible to the problem. They've spoken to other mod/game teams, emailed Valve, trawled every Source development forum around, and fuck knows they've spent enough time trying their own solutions they thought of.

None of them work. Believe me, a port is not something we'd willingly go through, but the fact is, it is the absolute only option. Beerdude has been working on overhauling the GUI for months, but that will be totally wasted if the game is dead in the water. We have to move. It's worth mentioning, for those that remember, that this port from 2007 -> 2013 should be far less traumatic than the port from 2006 -> 2007 (orangebox). The codebase is in a far better place now than it was then, as is the development team. We're measuring how long the port will take in weeks, not months.

So please cut out this "I have a better idea", "why don't you just", etc etc stuff. This is the only option, and regardless of how painful it may be, we're going through it for the sake of keeping the game alive. We've had too much development over the past 6 months to just throw all that away.

10. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Forgot to mention, it's too late to try arguing; we've already started.

11. chrono

chrono Member

12. Maxaxle

Maxaxle Member

No offense, but I don't see a legit fix here. I already tried the one mentioned on the first page but I'm getting what seems to be the same error message.

EDIT: Wow, it's been a LOOOONG time since I last posted.

13. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

14. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Is giving is an ETA possible/viable?

15. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

[​IMG]

16. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

I wouldnt imagine so at the minute

17. Maxaxle

Maxaxle Member

First page on this thread, which seems to be the same as the thread you linked me to, but I'll try the fix you posted. Thanks!

18. chrono

chrono Member

please report the this thread when(if) you have suceeded.

19. Maxaxle

Maxaxle Member

It's no good; the 2007 SDK base gives me a windowed? intro video and then closes down (or crashes in a spectacularly subtle manner), and the launch options cause it to come up for about half a second and then disappear.

20. Beerdude26

Don't think we have an intro video anymore. Is there a folder in Steamapps/common called empires? (and in that folder, another folder called empires)