PC goes unresponsive, mouse freezes and keyboard input "beeps"

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by RetroFade, Apr 27, 2013.

1. RetroFade

RetroFade Member

I've had this issue only recently and it has only so far come up when playing games, including DOTA 2 and BF3.

What seems to happen is I'm doing nothing abnormal, when suddenly my PC locks up, continuing any input it was given and refusing to take any more input, giving me "beeps" (through the speakers and not my system) for every key press from my keyboard after, until it returns to normal.

An example, is on BF3. I'm strafing holding S. This issue happens, my character is strafing right, still shooting and I can do nothing but just sit and wait till it's over about a couple of seconds.

I'm no expert and I've never ever had this issue before. It's only happened in the past 2 days or so. Can anybody help?

2. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Are you can damn sure this lasts "a couple of seconds?" That seems like a really long time for input lag.

I'm the wrong guy to ask about this kind of thing. I would advice the typical testing across multiple companies to figure out if it's hardware or software or some interaction of the two. If it's hardware, you warranty out. If it's software, Google around for ten minutes. Then I would advise reformatting. It's the only damn sure way to fix these kinds of problems.

3. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

Seems closely like an issue I had in Empires, due to low ram.. Check that it's all ok? (Just throwing out questions here).

4. ImSpartacus

It's not a bad idea to throw out a complete dump of your system specs in a time like this.

Actually, whenever you ever ask anyone about any problem with a computer, disclose its specs completely.

5. RetroFade

RetroFade Member

[​IMG]

I literally just copied it from the order

6. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

upgrade your ram?

7. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

My issue was that the ram wasn't properly installed, so I missed out on a 500 ram. So you should probably check what you have, not the ordered one.

(Don't think it's the issue, but still).

8. ImSpartacus

4GB is fine and RAM is kinda expensive now. Bad time to upgrade.

9. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Yeah, now is not a good time to upgrade RAM.

I'll PM you a link to HDTune Pro. Run that and check your HDD isn't fucked. That's at least the first thing I can think of anyway.

10. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Run Memtest86 and update your drivers. There's no way it's a hard drive issue and your system specs are also fine. If you know how to use Windows Event Viewer, you might want to see if any application/system errors or warnings pop up around the time you experience this issue. Could be a RAM issue, slight chance of a CPU issue but I doubt it.

11. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Event Viewer always has like 1000000 errors in it though, so don't get too worried if you see that.

12. RetroFade

RetroFade Member

1. Using HD Tune Pro, I error scanned my disk and everything was 100% fine.

2. Here's the "health" of my disk

[​IMG]

3. I checked the AMD site and saw that the latest chipset drivers were dated 23/04/2013, downloaded and installed, rebooted.

4. DOTA 2 and BF3 are the only offending games so far, my drive's fragmentation was sitting at 12%. After defragging their folders and files (using Defraggler), fragmentation now sits at 6% (halved). I'll do the rest later.

5. I'll run event viewer and start a MP game of BF3 and see what comes up.

6. I'll do memtest86 etc. tomorrow as I have work to do and I'm going to a gig tonight

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  13. Space_Oddity

Space_Oddity The Shitstorm

BEFORE YOU BUY ANY NEW SHIT.

This could actually be a keyboard problem, some damage causing it do suddenly overdo it's n-key thingy. My computer did exactly what you described when I accidentally poured coffee all over my keyboard.

So try a spare keyboard if you have one, no harm in checking.

14. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

dito and agree with SOd

15. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Could be Sticky Keys.

Used to be a really annoying feature, but I guess anything that helps people with problems use the computer is a good thing. The problem is it tends to activate when you hold down a command key for a long time - e.g. shift, alt, etc. You need to find it in the Ease of Access centre in your accessories, and go to section on making the keyboard easier to use.

Other than that, it could be a lot of things. Updating your graphics drivers was a good idea, though I have a similar card (6670) and no problems so far. Of course, I don't play dota much and don't have battlefield.

I think it's pretty wild that people jumped to buying more ram, though. Especially in the light of those specs. Windows doesn't need 16GB of ram to function, more like 1.5 for win7. 4GB or more of course won't be useful unless you have a 64bit machine, too - even then I only use a fraction of my ram.

I know a lot of people here are technically proficient, but if they jump to advise you to buy something, take it under latter advisement. They've usually only said that because they're not too bothered to do troubleshooting, but still want to help in some fashion. Event viewer is a good idea, though, and make sure you check the administrative events under custom views (I think it's there by default). Remember, every event is time and date stamped, and unless you experience a bluescreen they should all be accurate.

I assume you know how to check what an event really is, but i'll just say that it's a simple case of looking up the Event ID on google. The feedback isn't always decipherable but it should help a little. Make sure to note that there are several versions of the same ID, so you'll have to trawl for a bit until you find a case that sounds similar to yours. Some of the ID sites are little poor, so you'll have to check a few, but it's not too search intensive.

Space Oddity also has a good point about keyboard general wear and tear.

Oh, and make sure AMD Overdrive isn't activated in your Catalyst Control Center.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  16. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Man, it's so clearly an internet connection problem. You play over WLAN or share the connection?

17. RetroFade

RetroFade Member

It didn't happen again yesterday after I took all those actions.

I wasn't gonna buy anything new (like RAM) because it's not like I can afford it and unless I had hard results I didn't want to jump to conclusions.

It could be a keyboard problem but I haven't spilled any major amount of liquid on it, maybe a few drops of water or tea which usually lands on the area that has no keys on on the right side.

Sticky keys is off, I made sure. I also turned off it's activation method as well as filter keys (use of shift).

AMD Overdrive is off because it would crash my PC. (Even on the smallest of increments, I had success with MSI Afterburner but nothing on my system is overclocked at the moment as precaution)

Internet connection is shared occasionally with family. I have BT Infinity and it's wired. They are wireless.

My guess is it's probably wear and tear on the keyboard at this point. I'll still use EventViewer later and maybe try playing rounds on 64 man servers as it's the most taxing. But as I said did play 2 rounds yesterday on BF3 and it didn't happen once.

18. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

Have you completely turned off windows accessibility features?

Do you have shitty software running in the background? (x-fire?)

Read and do what is described here (applies to 7 just like xp), then uninstall all unconnected HID-Devices, Gamepads and USB-Controllers.

Report back after testing.

19. ImSpartacus

Hot damn, I hate troubleshooting.

Once you've ruled out hardware, these sorts of problems are best solved by a nice reformatting. Reinstalling software is a small price to pay for a nigh guaranteed fix.

20. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

good link wookie I totally forgot about that ability. I used it to remove all the Intel stuff I no longer have installed.