Future plans for Empires

Discussion in 'News' started by Trickster, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Plans for the Future of Empires

Today, I'll be telling you a little about what's going to be happening in the near future.

After our next small patch, we'll be focusing on the "Scout overhaul". All efforts will be directed towards making Scout a viable teamwork oriented class. His weaponry will be re-tuned, as well as new ones added. So, without further ado, I present you:

MOTHER FUCKING SHOTGUNS

[​IMG]

These bad boys will allow the Scout to get really up close and personal with the enemy, before pasting him against a wall (in a non-sexual manner).

Scout hide and sabotage will also be completely changed, with hide becoming more of a TF2-spy-like timed usage invisibility. On top of this, there are plans to redo most of the Scout skills to focus them more towards team support, with reconnaissance and anti-reconnaissance skills planned.

This is an old image, but it does show the WIP of how the new Scout hide should work out ingame.

[​IMG]

In addition to the scout update, the plan is to introduce more official maps, as well as the usual assortment of small additions. We also have a huge list of achievements (courtesy of D.D.D Destroyer) which we can begin adding, should we get the time.

Finally, I need to emphasise again that we're still hugely short of coders, and may struggle to achieve the implementation of above without some support over the coming months. If you know anyone with experience who may be able to assist, please point them our way.

Empires has hopefully turned a corner now, and with the recent clan match, as well as the huge activity rise over this Easter break, things are looking positive for the first time in a long time. Expect 2.42 relatively soon, containing a few small balance and bug fixes.

I'll see you all in-game.

2. Cad

Cad Member

But the blimpz, what about the blimpz? Heard you got them textured and animated, where are they?

3. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

post so i can critique in depth then edit later and be near the top

EDIT: I hate it. Please be an April Fools joke.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  4. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

I was tempted to take this post serious until this line.

HAPPY APRIL FOOLS DAY!

5. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

if its an april fools joke its april fools cynicism - those changes would be great ...

6. Silk

Silk Mapper

Usually i don't trust anything today, but Trickster said the same thing a few days ago.

Don't know what to believe

7. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

Foolsception.

8. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

The joke is it's not a joke :D

9. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Or maybe that is the joke, that you think it's a joke that it's not a joke.

10. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I don't give a single shit about what this is, but you screwed over my name. You forgot a dot.

11. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

Speaking of your D's, I always mentally think of it as Dirty Dark Dick Destroyer. What does it actually stand for?

12. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Dirty Dark Dick...wut. I do have almost black hair I don't wash often enough, but I'm a rather nice person.

It came up when I was looking for a nickname, just plain Destroyer seemed generic. It had to have some meaning back then, but it's lost to the depths of time. Don't judge me, I was like 8/9.

13. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

At least it's better than my first game name.
    HARDGAMERDZ REPORTING IN.

With hardgamerdz@hotmail as email. Yeeeaaah.

14. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Sounds like "Hard Gay Merrrdsssz" when I read it.

For some reason, I feel like this is a super april fools joke, like, it's an april fools joke that it is an april fools joke. I don't even know what to think anymore.

15. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Superb!

16. Empty

Empty Member

April fools response this year was pretty crap :(

Only like 15 posts? Man that sucks.

I remember last years we hit like 5 or 6 pages. I was happy with that one.
    Oh well, it's a nicely done post, could be a bit more polished tbh, looks rushed which gives it away.

I'd really like it to be true though. Scouts an awesome class but this is just a pipedream (how'd you do the predator scout thingo? Gmod?)

Also what game are those shotguns from? They seem familiar. Tineye isn'y giving me any results.

17. Freaknovich

Freaknovich Member

Really hoping this is a troll post. Not sure how I feel about shotguns, seems like will either be too strong or too weak. Also the glass shader (though it does look nicer) will make you too easily visible, making the hide skill kinda useless. Either way, I'm not entirely against these changes but I think they should be given some more thought.

18. Silk

Silk Mapper

On the other hand, if you don't need to prone to be hidden, you could just run around with a shotgun being less easy to spot than rifleman but equally as deadly

19. Empty

Empty Member

implying shotguns would even be close to the effectiveness of a rifle in empires.

Seriously the only times I've ever wanted a shotgun is district and when raiding a barracks.

The shotguns would have to be damn fucking good to even compare to a rifle, even at close range the NFAR and BEHR are fucking ridiculous, 4-5 shots to kill a target with that ridiculously good accuracy and rate of fire. Shotguns have their work cut out for them.

(doesn't mean I wouldn't use them though, shotgun inside a sabotaged barracks would be horrific, also it'd make scouts hiding and sabotaging shit a bit more of a threat when discovered.)

20. WalMartGreeter

WalMartGreeter Member

I do enjoy the fact that every April Fools, a lot of effort is made to make creative and actual good ideas to spice up the mod. The next 364 days are spent sitting down with their thumbs up their asses.

Also, a lot of base/ref combat is actually close-combat. Shotty would be nice when I need to leave my vehicle (especially during APC/jeep rushes to the enemy side). Spawn camping is a third reason :P