Watching Streams: Your opinion of it.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Grantrithor, Feb 1, 2013.

?

Do you watch live streams of people playing video games?

1. Yes

47.4%
  2. No

52.6%
  1. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

So let's talk about a topic that sort of grinds my gears - watching live streams of people playing video games. I'm not talking about a live stream from a tournament or competition, I mean watching someone playing a game like any other person would. Disregarding the world's poorest humor, which impregnates these streams because they are made by video gamers, I just can't see what's so entertaining about watching someone talking about video games, watching replays of video games, or just plain playing a video game.

I hate video blogs in general but these ones just piss me off, and it's not the creators who make me mad, it's the people who watch them. Why on earth are they watching it? The two things remotely close to video blogs that I watch are: Dr.Ashen and AVGN, but that's because they mainly showcase the worst shit you can find on earth.

What the hell is your opinion on it?

2. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

I watch a lot of dota 2 streams and replays. I think I spend between 5-10 hours watching dota 2 commentaries replays etc etc.

I do this cause the level of play you'll never find in a normal dota 2 game, the organisation etc. You learn from those games cause hosts share information about certain aspects, you see new tactics, new counterpicks tactics everything, every dota 2 game is different and being able to adapt is important watching those videos, I hope, kind of makes me a better player knowing some things most people, who dont watch it, don't.

And just seeing the awesome tactics getting executed is just fun to do.

3. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

To get people o watch your stream, you need to be very good at the game, or very entertaining. If you aren't one of those, your stream will suck.

It's the same as any other means of entertainment. If you aren't an entertaining person, your product will suck.

4. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

Normally, streams are just shit quality content made by dumb fucks who are desperate for attention. If you're going to do something like that, do it properly. Deliver great content like TotalBiscuit, for example. Otherwise your "show" will be just as awful as a vlogger's.

The people who watch streams are bad people too.

5. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

Derail Atempt #1

I have to add, that I even hate those people that watch movie streams and afterwards send me their FUBAR PC, filled with drive-by-downloads. I had to remove 14 cases of the so called BKA-Trojan troughout the last year. It's mainly a german/austrian think, but still, people that watch streams should pay with a testicle, go to OCHs ffs. lazy generation/first world problem, bla..

6. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

lol. i might do a let's play of metro 2033 that i got from the THQ humble bundle. most likely going to be commentary that is done while playing. i will play each part in advance and then play it again to know what to expect and what to say =p.

i shouldve gotten walking dead for 12 dollar yesterday :(..

7. BloodRaven

BloodRaven Member

Plays games for fun. Tends not to give a fuck about how other people play them.

[​IMG]

I flipped my Jeep in an attempt to derail this thread.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  8. Reznov

Reznov Member

This is now a jeep thread:

[​IMG]

9. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

i misread i voted yes cause i watch dota2 tournaments sometimes mobile.ae.org

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  10. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I don't mind watching stream highlights from someone I enjoy watching, like Sacriel's DayZ videos. But I wouldn't watch them live. He condenses like 4 hours of gameplay into less than an hour, which means 3 hours of that wasn't that interesting. So highlights, yes. Live, no.

11. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

.:.HeXi.:. emcalex329 Member

Pretty much this.

Also, Alucard, if you try to record yourself with a script, it probably won't sound interesting. Do your recording extemporaneously.

12. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

Some times people watch progamers to learn and see what they do. Some streamers are just entertaining like SingSing. You don't want to really watch you. You can just have it in the background and watch when exciting stuff happen.

13. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Thanks for a new entry to my vocabulary.

14. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

"On-the-fly" is a little more catchy.

15. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I watch 2 LPers on Youtube and watched quite a lot of Zeldathon winter. Obce Or twice I also watched Huskystarcraft's stream. I often hop on a payday player's stream to see of he has a spot for me.

16. BroT

BroT Member

BUNDESKRIMINALAMT! THEY'RE EVERYWHERE!

Edit: ontopic:

[​IMG]

17. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

I usually watch one or two when im ill and dont have the attention span for a movie. The la mulana playthrough from deceased crab is probably the only lets play I ever watched that I still remember. This guy is just crazy entertaining.

18. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

19. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Depends if he's good at improv or not. It's really boring to watch someone who has nothing to say. IMO he could keep his gameplay unscripted and whatever banter he might say, but if he is going to explain some game mechanic it would be better if he had something written for it.

Plus, most non-live reviewers record their gameplay, THEN they add commentary on top, after which they export to youtube.

20. communism

communism poof

idk watch some live streams of pro dota players from time to time