Can't start Empires, EmpiresLauncher.exe stopped working, MountAppFilesystem() failed

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jephir, Dec 22, 2012.

1. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

[​IMG]

So I came back from family obligations to notice that this was happening on my computer.
    I am going to let the dust settle a little and wish luck to the team.

2. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

Yeah for AZK !

I moved my Empires folder back to Common\Empires - so it resided as
    Common\Empires\Empires
    The I moved the Source SDK Base 2007 folder into
    Common\Source SDK Base 2007

I ran and same old Tables error.
    So I deleted the Empires\Empires folder
    Forced a VALIDATE FILES from Steam -> Games ->Choose empires - right click -> Properties -> Local Files Tab

Once this was done I ran the game from steam. Everything worked.
    Now some of you'se guys gotta get back online.

Only odd thing about my setup which I haven't worked out and will likely no play with is the support folders (Bin, Hl1, Patches, Platform) SourceTest) reside in both the Empires folder and the "Source SDK Base 2007" folder.

I currently have NO Empires folder under my user name folder JustGoFly. Everything runs from Common.

Vinnie

3. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

If you're missing the "Source SDK base 2007" - under steam look at LIBRARY, then pull down the selection on the third line near the top of the screen and change "All Games" selection to TOOLS.
    Find Source SDK Base 2007 -> Right click -> Properties
    "Local Files" tab
    Press "Verify Integrity of tool cache..."

This will force a download of the SDK again.
    If you don't see all the folders: Bin, HL2, Patches, Platform, Sourcetest, and hl2.exe in root of this folder - then run it once. I didn't have to run it once though - it all came down.

Then follow AZK's instructions to move this folder into the Common folder.

The latest Validity check of empires moves those same folders into Empires as are in Source SDK, just leave them - it only takes up a little drive space.

Later we change to whatever is discovered and fixed.

If you have never installed Source SDK then you could try:
    Start -> Run ->
    steam://rungameid/218

Vinnie

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  4. daVinci

daVinci Member

I believe this was the secret sauce in my case -- no manual file/folder manipulation or reinstall of anything. My apologies for not making the steps clear in my earlier post suggesting this. There seemed to have been an issue with the Source SDK files not being where the game was expecting them after the update.

I'm glad solutions are working for others. Good luck to those having trouble!

~daV

5. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

Sorry about removing the fix. I was under the impression that the fix stopped working and I didn't want to have people download a 3GB game for nothing (i.e. for people with bandwidth caps in Canada/Australia). I've quoted AZK's solution since it seems to be working at this time.

6. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

Chime in if it works or doesn't work. I think AZK found the right mix to get it working. There are enough of us that have tried every combination that can help more if you have trouble.

Vinnie

7. Quigon

Quigon Member

Fixed

Thanks Jephir, just copying that "source sdk base 2007" folder worked for me. Also a big thanks to Solstice for helping me figure out why I didn't have a source sdk base 2007 folder to begin with....If you don't have the sdk 2007 folder, in steam go to Library, change the dropdown from Games to Tools -> Source SDK Base 2007 and make sure it has actually finished downloading, then right click on it -> Properties -> Local Files -> Verify Integrity of Tool Cache.

I also initially started the whole process by deleting all my empires folders and downloading a fresh copy from steam (which took nearly an hour). You might want to save a copy of your maps folder before you do that; not sure if we'll be reusing these maps or not.

8. MomoZMonster

MomoZMonster Member

For what its worth I just built my system recently and all I did was install steam and then empires well before the update.I didn't select to install hl2 or the source sdks. Some how both sdk 2006 and 2007 were on my system. I'd never run them until the fix posted said to. It[Empires] worked without doing anything but clicking download.
    To be clear this was all before the 2.4 update. And the fix stickied on the forums worked of course.

But I opened steam today and it says update required. Should I go ahead and update it?

9. BlakkCooper

BlakkCooper Member

[​IMG]
    The only way to break it even more at this point is to visit me at home and smash my computer.

10. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Its a deal!
    Did you try the fix on the OP?

11. FlamingPope

FlamingPope Member

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  12. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Thanks for the how to videos, thats really useful - though the OP does start with a "short" version.

Long version is really for people who have already made a mess of things moving other stuff around - but should be assured to work.

13. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

14. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

You don't need the GCFs you copy paste the SDK folder from your steamapps\username folder into steamapps\common folder

15. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

Fixed

This issue should be fixed with the latest update. We are now using a launcher that will dynamically find Source SDK Base 2007 which will allow Empires to run regardless if it's installed in the common or username folder. We'll continue to work with Valve on a solution that doesn't require the launcher, but for now, this solution will do.

Thanks to everyone who submitted information and bug reports on this issue, as well as those who tested the fix on the beta branch (thanks zoom, wookie, and steveuk).

If anyone is having problems with the launcher please continue to post in this thread. The source code of the launcher is available here for debugging purposes if it is of any help.

16. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

Basically everything should run from Common.

Latest Empires download will go into Common - no move needed.
    Latest Source SDK - will not and must be moved.

Lots of guys playing so it looks like many are getting the message.

I run out of ammo all the time and now those repair stations are key to survival. I ran past two heavies the other day - one was red with his ass right in my face and I couldn't shoot at it.

Time to develop new strategies. Once they took down our repair station they were able to eat up our base in no time. It's now more of a ground troop type game.

Vinnie

17. RappemongO

RappemongO Member

[​IMG]

18. Silk

Silk Mapper

Ironically today was the first day empires didn't work since the accidental release.

However validating the files fixed it, so ... no worries

19. Neoony

Neoony Member

Does not have to.

I have that in \youraccount\ folder...got no problem
    There should not be a need to move it as the launcher should find it by itself.
    And no idea if it is actually functional if you put it in common.

20. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

Candles Empires is now running out of COMMON\Empires

I have NO empires folder under SteamApps\JustGoFly

The download of Empires will place it in Common.

The new launcher may work with SDK in either common or under your acct name - but mine was moved over to common and that works too. The version prior to the launcher worked with SDK in common as well.

Also refer to Jephirs updates here:
    http://forums.empiresmod.com/showpost.php?p=425379&postcount=1

Vinnie