Why Your Phone?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by MetricMike, Dec 12, 2012.

1. MetricMike

MetricMike Member

Tomorrow I'm travelling north to visit friends and watch the Hobbit and one of them is jumping ship to Android largely because of http://i.imgur.com/ylcYz.jpg.

So I'm setting up my phone to showcase that, but it got me thinking - what do other people like about Android/iPhone and why? What keeps you from switching?

2. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Google account integration and the "free" mentality of Android.

3. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I got my first smartphone, and it uses Windows Phone 8. It's fucking awesome.

4. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

Android because it isn't Apple. Cheaper phones, highly customizable, wide variety of products (despite causing fragmentation) and no dumb exclusive adapters and shit causing massive pain in the arse when you just want to transfer files from your computer to your phone through Micro USB.

As for my choice of phone, I've got a Sony Xperia Mini. I just needed a phone that could play music and send texts with, so I got the cheapest and most compact phone there is, and I'm rather surprised how much power this tiny fucker actually has. Might get a Nexus 4 next, but since only LG's own version is available in Norway for twice the price, fuck that.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  5. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Nexus One, because fuck you I have a glowing trackball.

6. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

Iphone is honesty so shit.

It has a small screen, and its fat. It's screen breaks all the time. New versions often lack features other phones have at the time.

The navigation app sucks so hard. The first time I used my friend's Iphone, it literately told me to wave it around so it could find directions and then showed us flying over residential districts. Also you need a mac to publish apps.

7. Trickster

8. Empty

Empty Member

Going against the grain here.
    Iphone, not cuz I like it (next phone will be android)
    It's because it's a handmedown.

9. Trickster

Everyone should get a Lumia 920 on Windows Phone 8.

10. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Does it have a glowing trackball?

11. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

does it have google app store?

12. ImSpartacus

Fucking trolls. Argue for your phone, not against an entire OS just because you're a mindless fanboy.

Less of this:
    And more of this:

13. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

aggdshs prick

14. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

trickster his fucking argument is, It's awesome. Thats like apple people saying, apple is good cause it's awesome. Da fu ck

15. ImSpartacus

Yeah, and how did you start your comment you fucking troll?

And there's no problem with that. But it's not cool when people say, "I use an iPhone because Android has too many fragmentation problems."

16. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Got Android because it's cheaper. And that is the only thing Android got for it compared to the iPhone.

17. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

I use my Samsung something (galaxy?) because it was the least scratched phone in the bucket of old phones I found at work. I lost my HTC Desire Z about 4 months ago and I have yet to bother filling out the insurance paper work - then I figured I'd wait till 4G came around and get one of those.

Having spent 4 months with this crappy touch screen I can absolutely say that you don't get used to typing on a touch screen.
    All touch screen keyboards are shit.
    A full keyboard is essential and any phone without one is a total waste of time, literally - time is money and I don't like the idea of spending my money to press backspace... which usually ends up being Enter.
    If you disagree with me it is only because your retarded phone doesn't have a keyboard, deep down you know you are wrong.

The Desire was a pretty good phone though, Decent touch screen, thumbpad thingy for one handed scrolling & a full keyboard. Powerful enough to run emulators and with a second battery (also essential for any modern phone) I could hammer it for 2 days straight, software was good and it even recovered well from being soaked in my outside pocket for like a good hour of motorway, it was literally totally submerged when I pulled it out.

Over the past 3 years I would say it is my best phone & I've had like 8 or something. I've not yet had a Windows 8 phone though and they look interesting. Also I loved my Blackberry 8700 because that thing was so tough you could literally use it for self defense - which I think I may have done at some point.

18. complete_

complete_ lamer

swype makes touchscreens alot easier

19. ImSpartacus

Oh God, I forgot about that. I think that's an Android exclusive. So it'll keep me exclusive until the world finds out that Swype is God.

I'm so glad Google ripped off Swype in the 4.2 keyboard because I won't have to pay for it. I got it free with my Droid X and I'm using the beta in my GS3 right now. When the beta runs out, I'll probably try to use the 4.2 keyboard somehow.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012