Xenotransplantation

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Paradox, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

facilitating cell technology and the specific details on how they shut down the memory cells of the donor bone marrow and not the facilitator cell. They use immuno supressants but how does it not affect the facilitator cell. And if the bone barrow gets immuno supressants to shut down the T-memory cells how do they contribute to the imune system of the recipiant?

It also has something to do with making a chimera cell or something but its just hard to understand how they can shutdown the T-memory cell on the transplanted bone marrow but have working immunity for the host?

The key is the facilitator cell but it has a rarity of 0.4 percent in the marrow. Do they then like reproduce to a higher factor of presence? or?

another question: I'm reading that hartvalves wont get rejected by the body cause there is no dead tissue, but doesnt dead tissue get rejected to or eaten by granucites?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  2. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Thats actualy pretty specific. Damn.
    I just started the immunology course, so I dont think I can help you as much as I though.
    The only chimera cells that I've heard about are the ones that are made by combining tumor and T cells from mice to produce immortal cells that can produce monoclonal antibodies, but doesn't sound like the answer to that question.
    From what I remember from animal cell culture course, rarity is not really a problem if you know the marker proteins for target cell. Just extract some tissue, apply antibodies coupled with something that has iron ions, specific for marker. Then you sort that using a magnetic cycler or whatever that device was called. I have no idea about such specific cells, and if they are one of those that cannot go through mitosis, you need to get precursor cells and know how to induce their change. There is also a similiar method involving lasers instead of magnetism.
    Of course the above might not be the answer to your question about rarity, but consideting your incomprehendable sentence, you can't realy blame me.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  3. Paradox

thing is they cant isolate the Facilitator cell from the other parts of the bone marrow yet. So they shutdown the memory cells made from the bone marrow and somehow this doesnt affect the facilitator cell. It's really complicated lol.

"To offset this problem, facilitator cell technology in bone marrow transplants was developed to limit the likelihood of failure. The process conditions the recipients of the bone marrow to allow the new cells to take up residency within the bones without rejection. Facilitator cell technology uses the idea of chimera to essentially merge the two types of cells within the bone, limiting the likelihood of rejection. During initial studies, nearly all patients survived the transplant and continued clinical applications have positive results a large percentage of the time."

"According to Ildstad, the main advancement that makes facilitator cell technology work is the process by which the immune system's memory is essentially shut down, limiting the likelihood of rejection and supporting tolerance within the patient."

So this basicly means you merge 2 cells but the first cell has its memory cell capability thus its immunity cascade completely shutdown. So it actually has no use if you think about it. Wait I just realized that's the point I think.

4. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  5. Paradox

that was the point of copy paste you idiot. I wanted to show the 2 quotes I'm getting my information from.

And reading a 300 page book about imunology is going to take a 6th year student ages to understand.

6. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

That would be a huge problem, immunology isn't that hard to understand, 300 pages sound more like 1-2 months to me, you wouldn't have to understand the whole book either but to write 50 pages on a subject you heared 2 lines on the empires forums about ... well ...
    try this http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2959150/
    that what you search?

7. Paradox

lol dude I'm not writing 50 pages on what I hear here, have about 20 pages already it's just some small detailed questions about subjects I dont understand yet. I have about 30 sites and 7 books as sources for my bibliography.

8. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

If you've done that much work, then I think a professor would definitely provide some assistance. I would seriously consider my previous suggestion.

9. Paradox

I have a head of transplantation as I told you before but I'm not going to bug him about small detail questions.

10. ImSpartacus

I would. Ask if he can point you towards some papers that might answer your questions.

11. Paradox

there arent a lot about Facilitating cell technology, I looked it up on pubmed didnt find anything. And facilitating cells papers are mostly them talking about it helping them work and shit not how it actually works.

12. ImSpartacus

Maybe you're overlooking something. A person with their doctorate in that field wouldn't overlook that stuff.

13. Paradox

But the thing is they are writing the papers implying everyone knows how it's working, been through bout 7-8 of them already, its all just applying it and not explaining how they actually did it. The technology has been around for 5-7 ish years and its not that hard but it is never explained in detal and in general.

Asked a guy I know that has been studying medicin for 7 years and he has no clue either... nothing in his books too

14. ImSpartacus

Then ask your contact. This is a legitimate reason to bother him. And if he doesn't know, then ask him to direct you to papers that may assist you.

Undoubtedly, you did miss some papers and this person is the right person to ask about the papers that you missed.