Empires Ogame Server - Again!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Trickster, May 3, 2012.

1. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

So, it's that time again. We're setting up an ogame (clone) server and we're hoping to get playing again. In light of past problems with regard to rules, admins and whatnot, we're hoping to run the following rules:

Alliances limited to just 3 people (expanded to 4 in the future when a few die off and people are left on their own).
    Lowish colony number (5).
    Account sharing within an alliance is permitted.
    Speeds for research, building etc will all be 1x (fucking slow), but fleet speeds will probably be ramped up considerably, allowing for much quicker attacks with much less warning.

Whilst the server is up at the moment, it's in test mode, so I don't want people signing up and playing it seriously thinking that this is it. The link to that is epic-empires.co.uk/2moons . Speeds are ramped up on everything there. If you find any bugs, report them. Also, any rule ideas you have, throw those up too.

I'm hoping to launch on Saturday or Sunday, what will be the middle of the morning (7am) for UK fags, and obviously earlier for US fags. I would do it at a better time but this is the only real chance I'll get on those days given I'm at work. Before people start off, I'll probably have the server up in freeze-mode, so alliances and planet names and shit like that can all be prepared ahead of time. The actual launch time for this will depend on how many people post up saying they're interested. If this one thread isn't getting to enough people, I'll delay for a few extra days.

EDIT:

Ok, register here: http://epic-empires.co.uk/2moons

Whilst there is a superspeed mess-about game ongoing, the Universe will be reset before we start. The aim is to wait for about 20 people before we kick off, but I'd like to do it either Saturday, or Sunday morning, so pass it around and get people ready for it. Speak to people who you'd like to make an alliance with, and remember, the limit is 3. I can't enforce the limit using settings, but if I have to start dispersing alliances, I will, so choose your alliance-mates wisely.

EDIT2: Game will start between 15:00 and 16:00 BST, 10-11am EDT, 7-8am PDT on Sunday 6th of May.

2. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

I hate these games. Always get me addicted. :(

3. PredatoR[HUN]

PredatoR[HUN] Member

Oh god.
    There goes my remaining free time.

4. Trickster

The hope is that with the really slow speed on stuff, it won't take over people's lives as much, so they won't play it to death for a week and then get burnt out. I know that on the previous one, I put so much time into it that I ended up setting my alarm every 90 minutes to check on it, keep things running, make sure no raids were incoming, etc. That's what I want to get away from. The account-sharing within alliances should allow people better coverage, but that's counteracted by the quick fleet attacks.

5. complete_

complete_ lamer

set sail for quibids.com

6. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

Personally I prefer weeklong OTTD games but this sounds fun

7. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

You fracking set your alarm for 90 mins?! that fracking crazy! Are you Chinese by chance? I hear they can play a game till they die.

8. Dr. Turtle

Dr. Turtle Member

Nah, you're thinking Koreans.

9. Empty

Empty Member

i swore never to play this again after it consumed 50% of my life.

10. Zeke

Zeke Banned

but 50% of 0 is still 0... so why does it matter? :eek:

11. Empty

Empty Member

And yet it's still 1000 times more of a life than everyone here.

12. Zeke

Zeke Banned

1000*0 is still 0.

13. Empty

Empty Member

That's the joke ;)

14. ViroMan

if there is no joke then its not funny.

15. Trickster

Yeah, and even with 2 others doing something similar, and clubbing together to fight this one guy, we still for some strange reason never managed to match his units.

We find out later that as admin, he just kept adding to his fleet to keep ahead of us. Fucking horseshit. I didn't play the game for 18 months after that, I refused to. But this time, if I'm running it then I know no admin is cheating, especially given that, if possible, I'm going to remove the admin from my own account and just give the admin account to someone who isn't playing. In the game before the last one, someone else hosted it, and they cheated to. And in the one before that. Admins ruin every fucking game we do, and this time, I won't let that happen.

16. ViroMan

admins hate to loose at a game they are hosting. This obviously applies to you as well seeing your talk about removing admin for yourself. This makes me wonder what kinds of aboose you have done while playing empires...

17. Trickster

To give myself an advantage? Never. I just don't do that shit, I enjoy the challenge. It could be argued that I have an advantage in that I can mute players hurting the team, and slay them, but never anything to my opponent. Fact is, I'm too awesome (Or I was) to need help. Best player ever doesn't need help.

Sadly I fucking suck at Empires now.

18. Trickster

Updated main post.

19. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

20. Trickster

That's for the actual Ogame though, on the official Ogame servers. This is just a clone that we host on our webserver.