Thread Of Atheism

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ViroMan, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

God was created by man to explain things that couldn't be explained. Now we have science and we know more than we've ever known before.
    Defending God or religion in any way is just stupid.

2. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

No, the thing is, what you belive doesn't need to be true, religions are always absolute, there is no "not proven but belive so ..." neither is in atheism, as atheist you don't belive in a deity because it cannot exist, as agnostic atheist you don't belive in a deity because it's highly unlikly. Decide for yourself wether there cannot be anything or if it's just highly unlikly, ...

If you admit that there's just a far higher probability that you're right, you're basically an agnostic atheist, a religious person aswell as an atheist wouldn't consider probabilities.

3. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Feel free to continue posting image macros and lolcats and suchlike around us.

And, technically, atheist simply means you don't believe in god.

Which, assuming you answer the question 'is there a god' with 'I don't know' is true, you don't affirm belief in god.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  4. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

no its not stupid its epistemology the very foundation of science :P

religion on the other hand is harmful - believes should be individual.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  5. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

is there a I don't care-ism?

6. flasche

i dont get how this isnt interesting. you guys simply read "god", panic out and run away ...

7. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Science was also created by man to explain things that couldn't be explained. It doesn't do a very good job of it for most people because it misses the point.

The point is not to give an accurate explanation, the point is to give an understandable one so you can stop worrying about it. Religion is much better at letting people get on and do things than science is, because science is quite hard to understand, and is sort of designed to leave you with more questions than you had to start with.

All most people (myself included) understand is a moderately inaccurate lie, which, while less inaccurate than 'magic sky wizard did it', is still not correct, and not really much more useful to me in my daily life. I don't actually benefit from knowing how the water cycle works. I'd probably be just as happy if you told me water comes from god pissing in the rivers. Either way I can get on with my life not worrying that I might run out of water.

Science is useful when it gets you some sort of result that you can share the practical benefits of, but actually understanding science? Not very useful for most people. People don't ask why because they want to know the truth, they ask why because they want to feel better about the answer.

8. flasche

its also quite hard to "fully know" even two scientific branches ...

9. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

10. flasche

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."
    -- schopenhauer

11. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

All nice and fun but I want to have somewhere to go to after I go to the box. Kthxbai, and you make me spaceships.

12. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

Religion - Accepted as truth, violently opposed and then ridiculed.
    -- Me

13. flasche

lol

<filler/>

14. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

just sayin'

15. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

"Buddhist monks are wasting their time. They should convert to Jesus. Is there any Buddhist country in the world that is rich?"
    - some South Korean minister

16. Space_Oddity

Space_Oddity The Shitstorm

Why so serious?
    - The Joker.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Apologies for the awful tags and watermarks. I hate the internet sometimes.

17. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Thanx oddity... I was getting upset at all the text and noticeable lack of photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  18. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

There's this Christian dedicated TV channel here continuously spewing up propaganda. It is... so scary. The animations. Dear Dawkins. However, this takes the cake.

19. complete_

complete_ lamer

david liebe hart is awesome fuck off

20. Castrol GTX

Castrol GTX Member

Everyone should watch the documentary "The Quantum Activist." Its on netflix. I won't pretend to know much about mysticism and buddhism, but they really tend to put other religions to shame.

The point of the documentary is that when you look at the double-slit problem in quantum physics, that the act of observation (the presence of consciousness) alters the outcome, you can eliminate the mind-body dualism problem and thus the need for some spiritual plane above the material universe, ie eliminate the need for god as we're used to talking about him. This is done by concluding that matter and energy are consciousness.

It may sound hokey at first, and it's not like I subscribe to it like someone would call himself a christian, but I think Athiests and believers of evolution can find a lot of common ground there, because at some point you have to deal with the fact that unliving matter became living, which is a somewhat arbitrary division in the sense that living matter obeys the same physical laws. It's basically a quantum physics and Relativity update on the mystical or buddhist belief that we are the same as the universe.

And even if I'm failing to explain it well here, why do you think ALL of the major modern physics developments were brought by people who adhered to Buddhism?