Tank weapon controal tweaks

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Nickierv, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Nickierv

Nickierv Member

With all the talk of unlimited ammo and such, I thought it might be a good idea to bring up two older ideas: ammo dump/reload and mouse3.

Ammo dump clears the current clip and forces a reload. Nothing special but it saves you from having to clear half your tanks clip at base.

mouse 3 is just another fire key for tanks: mouse1 = cannon, mouse2 = mg, mouse3 = missiles.

I can see some possible issues with adding mouse3 with the ui code, but a forced reload for tanks just seems like it should be ingame.

2. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Both are excellent, but make sure I can still use m3 as my drift (by not overriding any existing binds).

3. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

you dont need to hardcode keys anyway ...

4. Reznov

Reznov Member

Why do you force people to have a mouse with more than 2 buttons...?
    But yeah, good idea with the reload.

5. Nickierv

Nickierv Member

For the mouse3, I was thinking more of a 'fire 3ed weapon set' key, not necessarily a 3ed mouse key.

6. DocRabbit

DocRabbit Member

I like the idea of a third button, but seems like 2-buttons already give a noob difficulties. Don't lock it down to specific types though, leave it free to use where you want.

For example of a heavy BE, mouse 1 and 2 alternating HE, mouse 3 chain or UML if you have it.

The reload I think would be good, but after awhile, you learn to do it. Definitely though if we go to limited ammo, the reload would be a must, since you couldn't afford to clear the chambers to get a full load.

7. Nickierv

Nickierv Member

It is for a 3ed weapon set...
    As for the reload, something like UML is fine, with the entire clip+reload fired in 10 secoends. HEMG/nukes are a real pain if you want to clear half a clip, not to mention the heat.

8. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

They are like $30.

9. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

He's talking about mouse1, mouse2, and mmb (mouse3).

10. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

what, you guys don't use two mouses?

11. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

mine was 5.99, wonder how long it will last? I shoulda bought 2...

12. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Ammo dump yes. Or rather, R to reload. Doesn't even need to dump if we re-add unlimited ammo, it can just do what weapons do and stock it up for later.

As for a mouse3 weapon firing bind, I'd just prefer to call it "tertiary" and bind it to mouse3 by default. I'd probably bind it elsewhere myself because I use mouse3 for squad targetting, but I agree, this should be added.

13. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Please dont letithave unlimited ammo! Ammo dump sounds good though.
    Paradox' seal of approval

14. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Yeah, and that mouse would have at least 3 mouse buttons (not sure if the others can act as generic 'mouse#' buttons).

My Performance Mouse MX has like five 'mouse#' buttons. It's got more than five physical buttons (like the kickass button in the thumb rest!), but only five act as 'mouse#' buttons by default.

But you don't need an $80 mouse, that G400 would be plenty of mouse for the average gamer.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  15. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I don't think they make mice without 3 buttons any more, or at least they are basically standard issue nowadays.

Objecting to 3 buttons mice is about as sensible as objecting to 2 button mice because 1 button was enough to run a mac.

16. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

why do you keep arguing about mouse buttons? you dont need to hardcode ANY control. you could even turn with keys - for what absurd reason youd ever do that ...

also a good idea is to leave complex keybindings unbound so that you force the players to look at the key configuration - as it was with prone. you should make it bindable through a menu though since many are too afraid to open a .cfg file ...

sure its inconvenient for ppl who know anyway, but the key-bind-options are something that gives you a good overview of what you can do in a game (its among the first things i look at right after gfx options)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  17. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

These both suggestions. +2
    Allow discarding the current clip with limited ammo would be great.

A third key for firing a weapon is brilliant. But not mouse3, make all fire keys configurable, empires is not a console game.

18. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

why stop at 3? really you could add 4 or 5 configs, not that many would use it but why limit it ?

19. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

Yeah, make it 5, thats the most weapons you can get on a heavy tank (2+1 cannon/ml + 2 std mg/chainguns), doubtfull that you'll ever use it tho ... but seriously 3 are a must, 5 would be nice too.

20. Sprayer2708

Sprayer2708 Member

Oh source engine allows for more than two firemodes per weapon?