New Game Type?

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Broccoli, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

You should just extract that package to the empires directory. If you still get them, try typing "buildcubemaps" in the console, I may have forgotten to do it myself.

2. Destroyer224

Destroyer224 Member

I downloaded the newer version and it works fine. The bunkers are awesome and the ruins are great aswell. One of the problems i've found is that there is virtually no place, in the middle near the ruins and res node, where you can fit a rax. You have to either put it on the other side of middle, or stick it in the entrance where the NF can easily kill it. Also, the CVs gets stuck in middle VERY easily if you drive it in. NF CV cannot get out whatsoever.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2006
  3. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

I have already flattened some central areas to allow for more building opportunities. As for the CV getting stuck, what can I say? Don't drive it in? lol. I don't know quite what I could do about it.

4. Destroyer224

Destroyer224 Member

Try placing the rocks in ways that make the gaps just too small for a CV to fit through. You'd have to raise them a bit though so the CV can't drive over them.

5. KILLX

KILLX Banned

To enforce the tic-tac-toe element, make it so that each teams base node shield surrounds a much larger area that can be used to build stuff. That way you cant tank rush the enemy base and blow up all their buildings.

6. Destroyer224

Destroyer224 Member

You should typically have at least 2 bases with the essentials: rax, vf, and radar to avoid that. Plus, make sure that you leave your CV some room to get out and retreat to your other base if they do attack the base you're in.

7. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Also give the nod shields a roof, other wise arty, shells, and grenades can rain in from above.

8. duke

duke Former Developer (BE Creator)

What's added in EP2 that allows for foliage moreso than Source currently does?

9. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

I believe it's just general optimizations.

About the arty shells: the shields don't currently stop any shells, as I'm not sure how to effectively do this. Any ideas?

10. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

There's a blockbullets tool texture in CS: S, if you create another version for empires you could use it for that.

11. KILLX

KILLX Banned

One way walls?

12. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

And this would be done how?

I think the bulletblock is the best option, but that would also block friendly fire from inside the shield. Unless it can be filtered somehow, I really don't know.

13. KILLX

KILLX Banned

I'm just making suggestions. I have no idea if its possible. I have no experience with the Source engine, nor do I plan to for the next 100 years.

As for bullet block, is it possible to filter by bullet type? Since some weapons on both sides fire the same ammo, perhaps having the Empires team duplicate that ammo and make it so the game recognizes each teams bullets differently, even if properties are the same. Again, see line 1.

14. arklansman

arklansman Member

Of course it's possible to make one way walls.
    The point is how would it be done where it would make any sense at all.

15. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

There is a filter by type, but there's also a filter by team. If I were to use filters though, it would have to be in conjunction with a func_block_vphysics (or whatever it's called). Which would probably only affect missiles and tank shells. So no bullet block.

On the other hand, I think using bullet block would block both teams, which is also a bummer. I'll get trying some experiments.

16. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

I think it's possible to block tracelines (=bullets) aswell.

17. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

I've had no luck with blocking bullets/shells whatsoever. Anything I do also prevents players from moving through the surface. If anyone knows how to do this I would gladly implemet it, but currently it is beyond me.

As for changes before the final version, here's my list so far:
    • Further flattening of certain areas (mainly central).
    • Resizing starting base shields.
    • Adjustments of bunker health values.
    • Auto-destroy all turrets built on the tower when it gets destroyed (prevents floating turrets).
    • Repositioning/adding central rocks to prevent comm vehicle access.
    • Scattered tree/rock props.
    • The possibilty of a custom skybox.
    • New minimap using the technique outlined here.
    Anything else, please let me know.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2007
  18. Destroyer224

Destroyer224 Member

Is there a way of finding how close a player is to a certain surface? If so, make a lot of very small sections of the bullet-blocking texture and somehow get tehm to recognize when a player is practically touching them. Then when that condition is true, have them become disabled so that a player can pass through. Then once the player is through, turn them back on. Problem solved, if it's even possible.

19. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

i tested out the map, and i really liked it. a few things

-the whole map seems dark. see if you can light it up summore
    -ummm lol @ snow, theres like 26 flakes on the whole map :P
    -I like the little destroyed buildings n stuff, the tanks dont really look right because empires models, when they die, just blacken out really, but i think you need more buildings and stuff, to give a bugger impression of towns.
    -the bunkers are friggin sweet, the ladders inside are kinda hard to climb tho
    -the laser fences didnt work when i played
    -i dont know about this one, but the map seems like you can go anywhere, so it would be really easy to ninja and stuff, theres no definitive blockages. maybe add some ridges or rocks, or a canyon or something, to add more flavor to the map.

20. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

RC3 is just about done. Download link below.

Destroyer: Your idea could work, but it would involve a rediculous number of entities. Also, I don't think vehicles would be able to get through. The only satisactory solution would be to have a tool-texture (such as bulletblock) specifically for that purpose. Without coding, no such texture exists (AFAIK).

The light, if anything, has gotten even darker now, becoming a dusk setting with a new skybox. But I don't think it's too dark. Maybe you might try adjusting your brightness setting in-game? You can always use your flashlight :D

I gave up on the snow idea. It looked okay, but it still went sideways and was nowhere near dense enough. It also caused problems with other sprites (explosions) not being rendered due to the limit being exceeded.

The shields are only activated once that node is secured (you own all surrounding nodes). This is probably why it didn't work for you.

As for the open-ness, what can I say. I like it like that :D It was mainly to avoid choke points, which could easily ruin the strategy on a map like this. Players should have a free choice over which node to go to, and not be limited too much by the topography. Otherwise it would be far too easy to get a team surrounded.

Destroying turrets along with towers turned out to not work too well, and in the end was causing more problems than it solved. So for the moment, floating turrets are a possibility. It would be interesting to know, how is this dealt with in slaughtered?

Download Here

Last edited: Jan 7, 2007