emp_chain beta version ...

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Silk, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Silk

Silk Mapper

I can easily fix that graphical glitch for you ^^

Except for the trees, i don't know how to put rainbowcolors on them.

2. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Personally, the map just doesn't appeal to me. Not that there's a problem with the map itself, the map is pretty good, but I just don't care for it myself.

3. Silk

Silk Mapper

Fair enough, i can easily respect that.

4. harryhoot1

harryhoot1 Member

Nobody wants to play because a Viper admin constantly 9 mines the CV up on the middle hill (some kind of air strip) and then builds an entire base up there and just camps there.

They're so well dug in up there that not even arty can kill them.
    Just put a clip up on that hill.

Also add aircraft.

5. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

I think it is played a bit less now be cause you really need alot of people to enjoy it and there are not usually enough people playing to get a good game of chain going. Getting onto the road in the middle needs fixing but isn't a reason not to play it...

It should get more play time - there is no reason for people to complain about a lack of maps and then not play chain - its pretty much the best looking and most varied map on Empires, IMHO it is the best map we have right now and I'd love to play it more often.

6. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Well if a Viper admin is doing that shit he/she should get their privileges revoked.

7. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

I want to play this.

8. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

^^
    Give names and pics please.

9. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

moo.... always moo.

10. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

If that's the case, why haven't you reported them on our forums or to me?

To make accusations and not back them up is counter productive.

We can't fix something if we are not informed and imo you become an accessory to it by not trying to get the situation corrected.

11. Silk

Silk Mapper

Somewhere in the next few weeks i'm gonna go make some fixes, and recompile.

For fixes i only have:
    - The hole in the center building ceiling
    - Some displacements on the east not touching the ground
    - Adding invisible clips and comm/engy build restrict entities on top of the cliffs to reduce exploiting
    - Reducing the Yellow value of the light by ~5%

And for balancing i'm proposing changing the prebuilt starting refinery for the north spawning teams, to the second closest refinery.

Currently:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/234836/mapping/emp_chain/chain_refs1.jpg

Proposed:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/234836/mapping/emp_chain/chain_refs2.jpg

Reasoning: (the values come from guessing how many units a person walks in a second, so while these may be off a bit, the ratio's are completely spot on)
    - Currently by the time the NW team has build their 3rd refinery, they've gained 73,8 resources, in that same time the SE team has gained 113,2; with the proposed change the NW team will have 116,6.
    - Currently by the time the NE team has build their 3rd refinery, they've gained 73,9 resources, in that same time the SW team has gained 108,4; with the proposed change the NE team will have 109,6.

So this would give both teams an equal start.

Any objections to these changes ?

12. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i wonder if any other empires mapper ever put that much considerations into his maps ...

13. Silk

Silk Mapper

It's why i don't succeed in life. I have certain standards, and if i can't reach those, i don't do anything at all.

It's a cliche to put down "perfectionist" as an example of personality flaws when searching for work, but the truth is it's at least as bad as being lazy or lack of commitment.

14. flasche

i know exactly what you are talking about ...

15. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Its like emp_island. If you are on the ground as infantry you are fucked theirs nothing to do exept a long boring walk.

16. flasche

really good point, but as i understand it, it would be low ground for both. so its balanced and youd have to relocate fast if you spawn on low ground (as on isle)

17. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Silk, what about a couple of paths to get to the high ground, like outcrops that you can walk up, rather than ladders.

18. Silk

Silk Mapper

I'll look into it on friday. Adding a way up is one thing, but i'm not so sure about adding outcrops.

Also Trickster i've decided i'm not risking the tree models. It's not worth it. Sadly it'll always remain a custom map.

19. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Yeah, I know what you mean but ladders just feel a bit cheap sometimes, especially when they're bolted to the side of a cliff. A sort of coastal-style path going up the side would work, but I can imagine it's probably a hell of a lot of work.

And as for the trees, I'm doing my best to find a solution, be it asking Valve if it's ok, or finding close enough substitutes that I can show you. I'll find a solution though, this map is far too good to stay custom.

20. Silk

Silk Mapper

I don't actually agree with that. For your taste in layout, both isle and mvalley would have to be removed simply because they have two playlevels, which is exactly what i like about them. It's makes for much more interesting tactics. You are partially right about the long boring walks in Isle though, but Chain does have a big advantage on this area.

[​IMG]

The Yellow lines are the infantry paths on the lower level. In Isle, this goes all around the map, and you can indeed run around for a long time without meeting anyone.
    The red lines are the cliffs on top of which people will be attacking you.
    Green/Black circles are the ways to go from the lower the higher level.

So yes you have to walk a long way, without seeing anyone, while being shot at from almost all around you, and this is the only cover you have in the massive open areas:

[​IMG]

In Chain however:

[​IMG]

The lower ground is simply one circle of the chain, it's not more complex than the map canyon, and you cannot run around in it without meeting either team (unless you're on a server with <24 people). There also isn't a single area where you can be attacked from all sides, and unlike Isle, Chain provides at least basic cover in the map itself:

[​IMG]

I am willing however to add 2 infantry ways up, as shown in the picture with the blue/white circles, but they wouldn't be outcrops, they'd be something like the 4 ladders you see in the canyon in arid.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012